Indy Art By Otis Frampton

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:
It's not about hating it Lonsome...or loving it. It's about how it makes us feel, and having some fun with it. Any real artist would be thrilled to have so much feeback and interest in his work, good or bad.

I'm interested in the choices he made. He's obviously talented, but as I see it, Indy's features evoke the impression of someone other than Harrison Ford.

Also why put a knife in Marion's hand?

Can't know if you don't ask/point it out.

By the way, I can do WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better.;)

I give my apologizes, Rocko. I know that you were kidding around, and I was also, to an extent. But, sometimes people (I have no idea if Otis is the same) read good-natured ribbing as someone being a pr*ck. I'd hate to see a new user running from The Raven with tail firmly between their legs!
And, I also wonder why Marion has a knife. Perhaps the choice was made because she pulled a butter knife on Belloq?

Sharkey

I could do way better. The dude says he colored it with photoshop. Where's the color? All I see is brown, brown and more brown.

The Drifter said:
I give my apologizes, Rocko. I know that you were kidding around, and I was also, to an extent. But, sometimes people (I have no idea if Otis is the same) read good-natured ribbing as someone being a pr*ck. I'd hate to see a new user running from The Raven with tail firmly between their legs!
And, I also wonder why Marion has a knife. Perhaps the choice was made because she pulled a butter knife on Belloq?
No reason to apologize, I think I understand you better and better...probably why I didn't rail into you, though I know you can take it!;)

...and after all this time, (and trivia) I completely blanked on the dinner knife!

WOW. See, a simple answer...thanks.:hat:

The Drifter

Sharkey said:
I could do way better.

Let's see it! I really do wanna see your artwork, Sharkey.

Rocko said:
No reason to apologize, I think I understand you better and better...probably why I didn't rail into you, though I know you can take it!

...and after all this time, (and trivia) I completely blanked on the dinner knife!

Yep, I could take it. And, I've got a good verbal lashing (or two) from you in the past. I think it's the reason why I respect you so much!
And, sometimes the simplest answers are the best ones, my friend.

The Drifter said:
Good grief, people will find anything to nit-pick about. Not trying to be an ass, but let's see you do better (I know that I can't!).
I for one love the piece!
So criticism is only allowed by people who can do better? :confused:

If you were an artist yourself, you wouldn't think like that. Also just having everybody going "that's great!" doesn't really help you at all. If no one criticises your work, you wouldn't know where to improve... and "nit-picking" is great, because then you know, you didn't mess up big time ;)

If I don't like something, I say it. Why shouldn't I? I know I'm not able to (decently) direct a movie... or act in one... and still I outright say whenever I see a ****ty performance.

"You do better!" is a lame excuse for people who can't cope with criticism. And seeing the quality of Otis' work (and getting such commissions), he is indeed a capable artist, which he wouldn't be, if he would take criticism the Drifter-way.

The Drifter

Laserschwert said:
So criticism is only allowed by people who can do better? :confused:

Most of it wasn't serious criticism. Most of it was jests and jokes.

If you were an artist yourself, you wouldn't think like that. Also just having everybody going "that's great!" doesn't really help you at all. If no one criticises your work, you wouldn't know where to improve... and "nit-picking" is great, because then you know, you didn't mess up big time ;)

So, you'd know how I would think if I were an artist'?
Like I said, the criticism wasn't serious (which some of those users will claim that it was, indeed), and even if it were serious. Making jokes at Otis' expense is not good criticism.

If I don't like something, I say it. Why shouldn't I? I know I'm not able to (decently) direct a movie... or act in one... and still I outright say whenever I see a ****ty performance.

I never once said that anyone shouldn't say what the feel regarding that piece. If you hate it, fine. Just give Otis something that will help him instead of just making jokes about how the expression on the idol's face looks. How is that helping the artist?

"You do better!" is a lame excuse for people who can't cope with criticism. And seeing the quality of Otis' work (and getting such commissions), he is indeed a capable artist, which he wouldn't be, if he would take criticism the Drifter-way.

Maybe I did want to see them do better? One can have an opinion on any piece of art, but just because they have a mouth to state that opinion doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.
As an artist (Too me anyhow) one creates in order to fulfill their own desires for the piece, not change it at the whim of some random person with an opinion.
Plus, I was playfully throwing that post out there,..

Last edited:
The Drifter said:
So, you'd know how I would think if I were an artist'?
Well, you wouldn't keep it up for very long, if you were one... hence not being one after giving it up, because of the unbearable criticism. ;)

The Drifter

Laserschwert said:
Well, you wouldn't keep it up for very long, if you were one... hence not being one after giving it up, because of the unbearable criticism. ;)

Yeah, okie-dokie. Whatever you say, hotrod. ;)

The Drifter said:
Most of it wasn't serious criticism. Most of it was jests and jokes.
Boo Hoo

Originally Posted by The Everlasting Odist
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles...

I say again Boo Hoo.

Sharkey

The drifter, are you going to buy a DVD of the 3 hr video of Otis working on his computer? Gripping stuff and edge of your seat excitement.

indyclone25

The Drifter said:
Good grief, people will find anything to nit-pick about. Not trying to be an ass, but let's see you do better (I know that I can't!).
I for one love the piece!
there are people who like the a classic style of art and when something different is shown to them it just doest sit right with them. the artwork is creative , but most indy fans may think it is abit "off" different strokes i guess .

The Drifter

Sharkey said:
The drifter, are you going to buy a DVD of the 3 hr video of Otis working on his computer? Gripping stuff and edge of your seat excitement.

Of course I am. I can't wait to see it! Gotta make sure that I have enough popcorn and beer on hand.

indyclone25 said:
there are people who like the a classic style of art and when something different is shown to them it just doest sit right with them. the artwork is creative , but most indy fans may think it is abit "off" different strokes i guess .

A fine explanation...:hat: