Original Indy Type Pulp Story!

Peacock's-Eye

.2.​

Carter Dixon’s Nash traveled along a country road, in view of the Colorado Rockies. Oz studied a road map in the passenger’s seat.

“We’re almost there,” he said, “It’s not far from Travis Airfield.”

“I see it, up ahead,” Dixon said.

They cruised past the chain link fence surrounding the airfield. The Nash slowed. Tethered in an open field on the other side of the grounds was a silver zeppelin. It was being boarded as they passed. Dixon studied it intently.

“That’s something you don’t see everyday,” Oz said.

“I can’t see any markings on it, can you?”

“Now that you mention it, no. Do you want to investigate?”

“First things first,” Dixon replied. “The compound.”

He referred to ‘Lafayette City’, the headquarters compound of the New Dawn Society. An entire community of believers, completely self sufficient, with its own farm and milk factory, even its own radio station and printing press. According to one article Dixon read, there were over a thousand devotees living there.

He kept the car moving, leaving the airfield behind. There were few houses out here, and the last filling station was a half hour before the airfield. A group would have to be self sufficient to survive.

The two friends left the car behind at the top of a hill overlooking the compound, hidden in a grove of trees. They readied their sidearms, waited for nightfall, and proceeded into the valley on foot. The wind sweeping down off the mountains was bitterly cold. Oz smoked a last cigarette for warmth before they made their last sprint, to the wire fence surrounding the compound.

They hadn’t spotted a soul from the hill all afternoon, and now they found the compound to be weirdly silent. They scaled the gate and moved in among the out buildings. No lights shone inside the houses – they reminded Dixon of the shelters built for prisoners of war.

After a thorough search of the perimeter, Dixon said, “Looks as if the place has been abandoned.”

“Like they knew you were coming.”

“Let’s find HQ.”

At the center of the compound they found a one floor, corrugated metal office building. The door was open. Dixon tried the light – there was still electricity. But the radiators were shut off, and the inside was like a meat locker.

They worked quickly, going through all the desks and filing cabinets. Nothing of value was left behind. Nothing connected to Cadmus. Old religious tracts, state telephone directories, receipts for bills paid. Worthless paperwork.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking, Oz?”

“The airship?”

Dixon nodded.

“What next?”

“Back to that airfield. We need a plane, as soon as possible. We’re catching up to that zeppelin. I’d bet my life – one of its passengers is Archibald Cadmus.”

Peacock's-Eye

.2.​

Carter Dixon piloted the Boeing mailplane, due South. Oz acted as navigator in the rear passenger seat. Dixon was pushing the machine at 120mph, skimming its limit. Oz kept a steady watch through binoculars, but they hadn?t spotted the zeppelin yet. The plane and flight plan of the zeppelin came courtesy of a sizable bribe and the reputation of Dixon, but the adventurer was beginning to wonder if he?d been duped.

?I think I see it, Dix!?

Dixon checked the fuel gauge.

?I need to be sure, Oz.?

?Yes! That?s our prey ? straight ahead.?

?Let me see.?

Oz handed up the binocs and Dixon took a good look.

?We've got 'em now.?

The mailplane sped to catch up with the zeppelin. All the while, Dixon kept his eye on the descending dial of the fuel gauge. He tried signaling the zeppelin by radio, but no reply came back. The airship ? over four times the length of the mailplane ? obscured the sun like a flying island. Dixon flew in shadow, gazing up at the underside of the craft. His propeller sputtered, then stopped, and for a terrifying moment the biplane sailed free and unpropelled.

?Parachutes?? Oz asked anxiously.

?Unnecessary,? Dixon replied.

The mailplane was actually rising.

?What the Hell??!?

Dixon looked over his shoulder. ?Magnetic beam!?

The bottom of the airship opened above them, and the mailplane was pulled straight inside. Above, a white lab-coated individual operated a cannon-like device ? the magnetic beam ? and brought the mailship to a safe landing. Airship crew in overalls rushed to secure the plane with clamps, and offer a ladder for Dixon and Oz to climb down.

?Looks like you were right,? said Oz, ?They were expecting us.?

The crew lined up in formation as the door to the hangar opened and a tall man in uniform entered, flanked by armed guards. His head was shaven and his eyes were steel gray. His uniform was brown with black knee boots, the lapel pins were unidentifiable. He smiled a discomfiting, empty smile.

?Welcome aboard, Mr. Dixon,? he said, ?I?m Lieutenant Gervaise. The Captain invites you to join him at his table.?

?Captain???

?Lafayette. But we call him Father.?

?I bet you do,? Oz said under his breath.

?Sounds good,? Dixon replied, ?I?m starving.?

?Follow me,? Gervaise said. The empty smile again.

Dixon and Oz walked behind Gervaise, one guard in front, one behind.

?Think you can scare up a roast beef sandwich and a Coke?? Dixon asked.

?All cuisine on the NDS Victorious is strictly vegetarian,? Gervaise said.

?Cadmus must feel quite at home,? remarked Oz.

Gervaise glanced over his shoulder, the false smile wavering on his lips.

Peacock's-Eye

Hey, good news!!

After a good deal of talking about what I might do next, my agent has finally come around to considering Carter Dixon! I'll post one more section, but then I'm going to get started on reworking the opening chapters so he can see it, which will probably take the rest of the week.

I'll keep you posted. Wouldn't it be cool if this got published?

Peacock's-Eye

.3.​

Dixon and Oz were led by Lt. Gervaise through a number of identical passages, to a dining room that looked out under the tail of the airship. The room was white on white, designed in an Arabesque style. A long table set with crystal plates and glasses and silver utensils filled the rectangular room. The only color in the room were Chinese vases filled with red roses. At the head of the table, seated in front of a huge circular window in a white wicker chair, was a man of undeterminable age. His long hair was white, and a white beard tapered to point over his chest. But his flesh was youthful, and eyes of icy crystal blue snared anything that fell across their gaze. His loose-fitting robe was open-chested and also white.

“David Lafayette?” Dixon said.

There were two empty seats – to Lafayette’s right and left.

“Welcome, Mr. Dixon,” Lafayette said, “And your friend as well. Come, be seated, and share our meal. I have eagerly awaited your arrival.”

Dixon and Oz separated, and walked up the length of the table, passing the members of Lafayette’s inner circle. Dixon was seated on Lafayette’s right, and Oz on his left. Dixon sniffed – the aroma of roses was very strong.

“Rosy fingered dawn?” he said.

“Very good, Mr. Dixon,” Lafayette said, “The detective to the end.”

“What’s for lunch?” Oz said, poking at his dish.

“Portobello mushroom, stuffed artichoke, and braised vegetables,” said Lafayette, “And sparkling seltzer.”

“No good American beer?” said Oz, raising his fork to his mouth.

“No alcohol of any kind, Mr. Tuttle. Or shall I call you Oz?”

“My friends call me Oz. ‘Mr. Tuttle’ is fine.”

“As you wish,” Lafayette gestured to the man seated beside Oz. “Let me introduce you both to - ”

“Archibald Cadmus?” Dixon said.

The man looked up from his plate. He was in his late sixties, his hair silver and gray, sporting a handlebar mustache and goatee, dressed all in tweed. “That’s right,” he said, “And you are?”

Lafayette laughed.

“He lives in his own world,” he said, “This is none other than Carter Dixon.”

“Oh,” Cadmus said distractedly, “Dean Fleming would be pleased to meet you.”

“He was,” Dixon replied, “Your niece, Ann Cale, contracted me to find you. Your family believes you’re dead.”

“An unfortunate, but necessary, part of the present undertaking,” Cadmus sighed.

“Which is?”

“Mr. Dixon, haven’t you figured it out yet?” said Lafayette.

“I’m still putting the pieces together. Why don’t you help me out?”

“Mind if I smoke?” Oz asked, removing a silver cigarette case from his jacket pocket.

“I do, in fact,” Lafayette said, anger seeping into his voice, “But I won’t stop you from doing so, if you insist.”

Oz carefully selected a cigarette, lit it, and took a long drag, producing a thick cloud of smoke that lingered in front of Lafayette.

“Enjoy your smoke, Mr. Tuttle.”

“You were saying – about the present undertaking?”

“Yes, Mr. Dixon. I’m quite surprised you haven’t deduced it yet. But since I require your cooperation, I shall help you ‘put the pieces together’, as you say. You are, I take it, familiar with the Nine Unknown Men?”

“Pure fantasy!” Dixon remarked.

“Yet H.G. Wells writes of it as fact in his Outline of History,” countered Lafayette.

“Sounds like a baseball team, Dix,” Oz joked.

Dixon grinned. “According to legend, Ashoka, a sort of Arthurian figure from Indian prehistory, horrified by the violence of war, appointed nine men to collect all that was known of science, record it in nine books, and protect that knowledge with their lives. To keep it from falling into the wrong hands.”

“Well told, Mr. Dixon! Brother Cadmus, perhaps you could further illuminate Mr. Tuttle.”

Cadmus paused, fork halfway raised, and thought.

“Well, the nine volumes each compiled the accumulated knowledge of a particular subject. Volume One was devoted to ‘Physiology’, the perfection of the body, to the point of killing a man with a single, deadly touch. Volume Two consisted of the ancient’s knowledge of biology, the cures to all known diseases, the creation of synthetic men, even instructions on how to resurrect the dead. Volume Three covered ‘Alchemy’, including the transmutation of metals, lead into gold for example. But any transformation would be possible with that knowledge.

“Volume Four focuses on ‘Communication’, transferring thoughts from one mind to another, even communicating with beings not of this universe. Volume Five, a treatise on ‘Gravitation’, millennia before the birth of Newton! Including the invention of anti-gravity vehicles. Volume Six contains the instructions necessary to build a ‘Vimana’, vehicles described in the Ramayana and Mahabharata, so advanced as to make this zeppelin seem rather quaint in comparison!

“Volume Seven concerns itself with ‘Cosmology’, traversing the spaces between worlds, visiting invisible universes. Volume Eight is dedicated to ‘Light’, the construction of advanced beam weapons, of the kind that destroyed Atlantis. And Volume Nine, the most important: ‘Society’, describing the making and destruction of world tyrants, and the manipulations of mass populations through untapped powers of perception and ‘invisible’ propaganda.”

“Well done, Brother Cadmus!” Lafayette said.

Cadmus smiled like a little boy who had just won a spelling bee.

“The Samara Sutradhara is no more than a reduction of Volume Four, I believe,” Cadmus added, “But that remains to be seen.”

“And what does all this have to do with you?” Dixon asked Lafayette.

“With the help of Brother Cadmus, I have reclaimed all nine of the lost books.”

“Bull****,” Dixon sneered.

“I shall show them to you,” replied Lafayette, “They’re quite authentic, I assure you.”

“I don’t understand what you need me for,” Dixon said. “Or what this airborne picnic is all about.”

“But tell me something first,” Lafayette said, “What put you on my trail?”

“I checked every local bookmaker I could find,” Dixon said, “Cadmus has never placed a bet in his life.”

Cadmus laughed. “Quite true!”

“It was a front,” Dixon continued, “To throw his friends and family off the scent. He was giving every dime he earned to someone. Cadmus is no rich man, so I figured a lot of other people were forking their paychecks over to the same person. Knowing of Cadmus’s interest in alternative religion, they were probably donations to a cult. Your little outfit fit the bill perfectly.”

“Bravo, Mr. Dixon,” Lafayette said, “You’re reputation is well founded.”

“Your turn.”

“It’s not that complicated,” Lafayette replied, leaning back, “He who unlocks the secrets of the Nine Books can conquer the world.”

“But weren’t they guarded by these Nine anonymous fellows?” asked Oz.

“A legend. In reality, there is no need for it,” Lafayette said, “The books are written in a cipher. Without the Rosetta stone, the key to the cipher, their knowledge will remain lost forever. Only the cipher is guarded - I suspect.”

“That’s what you need Cadmus for,” Dixon said, “To crack the cipher?”

“As soon as we have the Rosetta stone in our hands, yes.”

“And then what? Build an army of these Vimana machines? Who’s gonna finance that?”

“Nothing so prosaic,” Lafayette answered, “I will give the secrets away, and let the governments and powers of the world use them against each other. Another world conflict will erupt, a thousand times more destructive than the last. And from the ashes of the old world, the new order will rise – my order. God’s order.”

“And where’s ‘God’ gonna live while the world falls apart?”

“All in good time, Mr. Dixon.”

“You’re outta your godammed mind,” Dixon said.

Oz pushed his plate away.

Lafayette said, “What’s the matter, Mr. Tuttle?”

“Lost my appetite.”

“And where do I fit into all this?” Dixon asked. “First you’re trying to kill me, then you’re rolling out the red carpet.”

“I was not attempting to kill you, Mr. Dixon.”

“Coulda fooled me!”

Lafayette crossed his arms. “Those were tests. I had to be sure.”

“Sure of what?”

“That you are truly worthy. Oh, I have long awaited your coming,” Lafayette said, “You will be my High Priest, in the new world.”

“Not for all the tea in China, pal!”

Oz clapped his hands, “Huzzah, Dix! Huzzah!”

Lafayette shook his head and said very calmly, “By the end of this expedition, you will change your mind.”

“You’re awful sure of yourself.”

“I have seen the future, Mr. Dixon. It cannot be changed.”

“What if I escape? Come back and blow this balloon to pieces?”

“You could easily escape, Mr. Dixon. But you won’t.”

“Is that right?”

“You believe that you can stop me. That is why you will join the expedition, of your own free will. And by your own free will, you will become my servant.”

“I’ve heard that line before!”

“Not from me, Mr. Dixon.”

“I don’t see how you’re any different from any other megalomania creep I’ve put six feet under.”

“You haven’t wondered how I tricked the coroner, Mrs. Cale, everyone, into believing that I was the corpse of Brother Cadmus?"

Dixon snorted. “It was a nice trick.”

“I have already unlocked many of the secrets lost to the world,” Lafayette said, turning his head very slowly toward Oz, “I can mesmerize the weak-minded without a word. With my gaze alone, make them see what I want them to see, believe what I want them to believe – do what I want them to do.”

Oz lit a fresh cigarette, and nonchalantly, lifted it towards his eye –

Dixon jumped up and knocked the cigarette out of Oz’s hand.

“Stop it!”

Lafayette laughed, cold and cruel.

“I said let him go!”

The eyes looked away, and Oz jerked forward, blinking like man just woken from a drugged slumber.

“You will join me, Mr. Dixon. In the end, you will do just as I command.”

Peacock's-Eye

Hey, I have a question for everyone who's reading this.

When I rewrite the book, should Ann be single & come along for the adventure? It might be nice if there's a chemistry between her & Dixon, but because of his past (the lost love of his life) Dixon can't reciprocate. I've also decided that Ann needs to seek out Dixon, like something out of Philip Marlowe or Sam Spade. Maybe Oz keeps trying to romance her (that's his nature) but she's not interested? Just some thoughts. Let me know.

Peacock's-Eye

I've revamped the opening 'teaser'. It's much better, IMO.
Hope you like it!

PRELUDE
THE SCREAMING DEATH?S HEAD!​

The basement store-room was dark and heavy with the scent of opium; only a few floors above, the Jade Dragon Brothel - known to be the dankest den of evil in all Mongolia - was open for business.

A group of Mongol thugs ? several wearing traditional armor and bearing curved swords ? dragged an American down the steps, throwing him down hard on the straw-covered floor. The leader ordered the others to hoist the American up. His face was bruised and bleeding. He shook his head and looked around, guessing what was in the crates and barrels pushed up against the stone walls: ammunition, dynamite, grenades and gunpowder.

The American looked to be in his mid-thirties, but the way he carried himself betrayed experience beyond his years. His hair was bronze-colored, his eyes rich green. His battered leather jacket the same style worn by pilots in the Great War.

The leader of the Mongol thugs, himself arrayed in full armor, and carrying the American?s Colt .45 tucked into his belt, stepped forward. He laid into the prisoner with a series of brutal body punches, working his way up, striking the face until the prisoner?s lip split and blood dribbled down his stubbled chin. The Mongol stopped to rub his knuckles, and the bleeding lip curled into a grin.

?Go on, if it makes you feel better!? he said.

The thug wound his fist back like a pitcher readying to throw, but before he could deliver the blow ?

?That?s enough!?

A presence ? silencing, tangible ? muted the room. The Jade Dragonlord descended the stairs. He stood as tall as two men, and was as thin as a cadaver. Robes of green silk, with a red dragon stitched onto the back, hung from his narrow shoulders. Dark hair, reaching down to his waist, black and straight, cascaded over his face. His sharpened fingernails were painted gold, and in one hand he carried something bundled under a red silk cloth.

?Carter Dixon!? the Dragonlord exclaimed, addressing the American, ?Didn?t I warn you the last time? If you ever set foot in Mongolia again, I would have your head. You chose not to believe me.?

?I believed you,? Dixon replied, ?I just didn?t care.?

?Then you are most fortunate man,? the Dragonlord replied, ?You will die without cares. May the afterworld welcome you graciously.?

The Dragonlord placed the covered object carefully on a stone pedestal at the center of the room. He drifted over to Dixon on silent feet, and reaching into the American?s jacket, retrieved an onyx dagger. One side of the blade was flat, the other raised, and at the bottom of the hilt a snarling serpent?s head took the place of a pommel.

The Dragonlord swept his hair back from his face, skull-like and drained of all color. A smile spread on his dry lips as he gazed upon the dagger ? with eyes of jade. He had lost his eyes long ago, but had grown so powerful in the dark arts, that he no longer needed human eyes to guide him through the middle world.

?The Vritra-Phurba,? the Dragonlord said, his thin voice quavering and reverent, ?One of the oldest objects in existence, fashioned by the hands of a god. With this I will attain life unending, and the power of the elder gods!?

?Not without the Serpent Scroll,? Dixon snarled, ?Or the map to Vritra?s lost fortress! And I promise you ? I?ll find them both before you.?

?You failed to keep the Vritra-Phurba from my grasp,? the Dragonlord replied, moving away from Dixon, ?As you have failed to topple my opium empire. The very poison with which the West sought to control the East, will bring about its own destruction. It is the fate of the unrighteous. You are finished, Mr. Dixon. Soon your head will be added to my collection. But first ? it must be prepared.?

The Dragonlord commanded his thugs in the Mongol tongue. They dragged Dixon to the stone altar. He knew what was under the red silk ? it could only be one thing. Smiling, the Dragonlord lifted the covering. Dixon looked away, but the Dragonlord forced his face forward again, the golden nails digging into Dixon?s chin.

?As all my enemies must, you will join my menagerie, Mr. Dixon!?

Dixon shut his eyes, but the Dragonlord?s fingers pried them open.

He stared, against his will, at a decapitated head, shrunken and shriveled, its waxy flesh the color of crematory ashes. A weird thrill shot through Dixon ? the lantern lights burned low, shadows spread from the corners like living things, clouding the room with preternatural darkness.

The death?s head twitched ? worked its swollen lips ? and sluggishly opened its eyes. The eyes rolled forward, searching in the darkness, until they fixed on Dixon. He struggled against his captors, but as the death?s head held his gaze, the strength was sapped from his body, until he could no longer move at all.

Peacock's-Eye

?Soon, Mr. Dixon,? the Dragonlord spoke into his ear, his breath hot and smelling of sulfur,?You will be my servant, in living death, for all eternity.?

Compelled by an irresistible pull, Dixon?s eyes were trained directly on those of the death?s head. He broke into a cold sweat - throbbing pain exploded like flares behind his eyes, flooding his temples. The breath caught in his throat and the thug holding his head yanked back on his hair, dragging his eyes open wider. The death?s head grinned ? the knowledge that it would soon be joined in its demonic half-life the only joy conceivable in its cursed mind.

Carter Dixon answered with a grin of his own.

His years as pupil to the being known only as Thune were not forgotten. Thune unlocked for him arcane secrets, known only to those who mastered the Kunchen lotus, in harmony with meditation techniques known only to Thune ? the ?cosmic meditation?, that reached backwards and forwards in time, and into the roots of the universe itself. The death?s head had penetrated only the surface of Dixon?s mind ? beyond that surface were a multitude of layers, a mandala of such maddening complexity that few powers ? mortal or otherwise - could ever hope to unravel it.

The death?s head choked on its tongue and fear crept into its gloating eyes. Dixon projected his thoughts at the being - an unrelenting stream of thought. The death?s head clamped its eyes shut; whatever power animating the thing opened its mouth wide, and it let fly a scream of wild terror.

Dixon seized the moment, pulling away from the hands that gripped him, and elbowing the Jade Dragonlord and his thug back several paces. He leapt to his feet and ran for the staircase. Thugs raced to block his passage, meeting with Dixon?s fist.

One of the thugs made a grab for Dixon ? who tried to leap out of the way, but was caught at the waist. The thug propelled him upward, towards a low rafter. Dixon bent back and missed the rafter (barely). He grabbed a lantern from the beam, and threw it straight down. It smashed against the floor violently - a fast spreading oil fire sprang up. The Mongol dropped Dixon and staggered back, his legs on fire.

Dixon drew the sword from his scabbard as he moved away, and spinning around, stabbed the leader through the chest. The fire was roaring across the floor now - toward the explosives. Three Mongols, undaunted by the fire, rushed at Dixon. He opened fire, taking down two of the thugs. The third plowed into him, tackling him to the ground. Dixon slammed against the floor, got the wind knocked out of him. The thug slammed Dixon?s hand against the floor repeatedly, until the pistol fell from his limp fingers. Hands like sides of beef gripped Dixon?s head, and shoved his face toward the flames.

Dixon mustered all his strength, and flipped the thug over his head, landing him on his back. Dixon flipped over and grabbed his gun. He stood at the same time as the thug, but there was no need to shoot ? the thug?s back was on fire. He ran screaming past Dixon, heading up the stairs.

Dixon searched in the smoke for the Dragonlord. He saw a sreamer of green silk disappear behind a hidden wall panel. Dixon fired - sparks flew off the stones. But only the Dragonlord?s mocking laughter remained.
Too late!

Throwing up his arms for protection, Dixon dashed across the floor. Even as he sprinted up the steps, they collapsed behind him - a heap of burning wood. As he emerged from the store-room, the thick scent of perfume and opium jarred his senses. Dixon made his way to the front entrance, zigzagging through hallways. Thugs ran ahead of him, desperate to get out of the brothel before the explosives went up. Dixon pushed them out of his way as he neared the front hall. By now the whole brothel was trying to escape. Bodies were trampled underfoot, smoke choked and blinded.

The tall doors were ajar. The crowd of thugs and patrons stampeded for the doors, which were thrown open by the mass of bodies. Armored thugs, foreign businessmen, hop-fiends, prostitutes, and opium dealers spilled down the front steps together, rolling onto the snowy ground.

Seconds later, the pagoda exploded into fiery splinters.

?No time to lose,? Dixon thought.

He crawled on his elbows, hiding behind a flatbed truck parked behind the brothel ? or what used to be the brothel. Dixon waited there, pulling himself together. The Dragonlord?s henchmen were distracted, busy putting out the fire. Dixon eased the cabin door open and climbed into the truck.

Dixon reached into his boot and removed a Swiss army knife hidden there. He extended the nail-filed and slid it into the ignition. Dixon turned it several times.

?C?mon! C?mon! Start, you miserable son of - ?

The engine turned. Several of the Dragonlord?s thugs turned at the sound. Dixon, keeping low, wasted no time, and backed up wildly. Mongol thugs jumped out of the way. One of them raised an automatic rifle and opened fire, shattering the windows of the cabin. Dixon sat up and laughed grimly.

?So long, fellas!? he called out, saluting as he sped past.

Dixon floored it, desperately trying to gain distance on the iced-over wagon-wheel grooves that served as a ?road?. Two trucks peeled out in pursuit of him. Dixon angled the rearview mirror, and reloaded his pistol as he steered. He checked the side mirror ? both trucks were coming up beside him, aiming automatic rifles.

Dixon fired a few shots ? deterrents.

The Mongols kept on his tail.

Dixon jerked the truck to the right ? off road. The tires skidded on the frozen dirt, kicking up a trail of dust and snow. The Mongols followed.

?Great,? Dixon thought, ?What next??

Dixon spun the wheel, bringing the truck in a full circle. He slammed the gas pedal like he was trying to put his foot through the floor of the cab, and headed straight at the Mongols. They turned away in different directions, veering so close that one of them took out the left headlight on Dixon?s truck.

Dixon hit the ?road? again, accelerating and accelerating, pushing the rickety truck to the limit. The Mongols came up behind him, on either side of the road. Thugs leaned out of the cabs, aiming their weapons. Another few feet and they?d be in front of Dixon, blocking his way.

Dixon slammed on the breaks, and threw the truck into reverse. It fishtailed backwards as the two other trucks sped into each other, colliding so hard their back ends were thrown up in the air. The cabs were destroyed ? dead thugs draped bleeding from the windows. Dixon looked behind ? no pursuers.
He leaned on the steering wheel, exhausted and in pain.

The dagger was lost, and in the Jade Dragonlord?s hands. But he?d get it back, along with the scroll and the map necessary for the ritual to take place. Dixon promised himself ? he?d beat the Dragonlord.

The sun was setting over the steppes. Dixon drove around the ruined trucks, and sped up the icy path, lucky to be alive.

Peacock's-Eye

Rewriting the first chapter.
This is still rough draft stuff, but I'm making improvements.

CHAPTER ONE : MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE
OCTOBER 1930​

Carter Dixon opened the doors to his walk-in closet.

Not a thread of recognizable clothing.

“He’s done it again,” Dixon thought.

Dixon wasn’t a man to worry about what was on his back – he bought clothes indiscriminately, and wore them until they were practically falling off his body. And tended not to notice. Whenever he was gone for more than a month, his manservant ‘Winchester’ invariably cleared his closets out, gave the old things to Goodwill, and replaced them with the latest fashions. True, Dixon had once asked him to do so, and given Winchester access to a special checking account for that purpose.

But it was irksome all the same.

“One of these days,” Dixon mused, “I’ll remember to close that account.”

Dixon dug through the racks, and pieced together the plainest outfit possible: navy blue t-shirt, black turtle-neck sweater, dungarees, and his old travel stained boots – the mud of Mongolia still stuck to their heels.

He laid the clothes out on his bed – a four poster, king sized bed with elaborate headboard – and crossed the master bedroom into his palatial, private bathroom. On his nightstand were a pile of magazines he’d missed while on his last adventure; among the current events and scholarly periodicals were issues of ‘The Gem’, ‘The Diamond’, ‘Boy’s Own Paper’, and an assortment of gaudy crime, cowboy, and science-fiction pulps.

Dixon shaved, showered, dressed, and headed downstairs for his breakfast. He’d been home for two days now, after an arduous and dangerous journey from Mongolia to Shanghai, and then to New York, by way of tramp steamer. He was still bruised and aching. But Dixon was never one for lounging. A sixth sense was telling him that a fresh adventure was just around the corner.

‘Home’ was Crow’s Nest Manor, the gothic Victorian mansion the Dixon family had occupied for over fifty years, situated in the exclusively rural part of Kipling County, upstate New York. Technically, the Manor belonged to his father – both his parents were equally remarkable as their son. His mother, Cora, was a psychologist studying native cultures, and his father, Dunkirk, captured live animals for zoos and circuses. They made their home in Africa, presently.

Dixon entered the cavernous dining hall, a forbidding environment of antique wood and crystal. At the end of the enormously long dining table, someone was seated behind the morning’s New York Times sports section.

Dixon sat down at the head of the table.

“Have you eaten, Oz?”

“I’m starving, Dix.”

Dixon rang a little silver bell positioned in front of him.

The paper was carefully folded and put down.

Behind it was Winslow Osborne Tuttle -‘Oz’, as Dixon dubbed him at boarding school. Oz was the mirror-opposite of Dixon: tall (almost an inch over six feet) and dark, Oz bore an uncanny resemblance to Ronald Coleman, and had even adopted the actor’s thin mustache. He treated fashion the way newspapers treated headlines – something to be competitively kept up with on a daily basis, and retired just as frequently. And although there was an undeniable pearishness to his figure, Oz had a way with women that almost matched his appetite for them.

Dixon glanced down at the front page of the Times: ‘In German Elections, Socialists And Communists Win More Seats, But National Socialists Gain 107 Seats.’ “An increase of 95 seats for the National Socialists,” Dixon thought. Like all Americans, there was nothing he liked about the so-called ‘Nazi’ party, or their Führer (‘leader’) Adolph Hitler. But as of yet, there was nothing the United States could, or had to, do about it. It was a brewing storm, yet to hit.

“You look like ****, Dix.”

“Feel like it too.”

“Did you get your knife-thingy?”

Oz had a flat, unidentifiable, American accent, perfectly designed for banter.

Phurba, Oz – a ritual dagger.”

Winchester entered, rolling a cart in front of him. From the cart he laid out scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, croissants, grapefruit, orange juice, and coffee.

Winchester was a giant – as unlikely a butler as could be imagined. He wore a heavy black suit, white gloves, and bowler hat. He was certainly older than Dixon, but had never offered his precise age. His face was long and almost humorously expressionless. Indeed, it was near impossible to tell when he was being sarcastic.

“Will you be wanting a car today, sir?”

He spoke in a drawling Dublin accent, almost monotone.

“The Nash, Winchester. Did you have the alterations made?”

“Yes, sir. They await your approval, sir.”

“Excellent,” Dixon said, digging into his breakfast.

Winchester left them and Oz said, “I can never tell if that manservant of yours is ‘giving you the cheek’, as our Limey cousins say.”

“Eat,” Dixon said, “There’s a lot to cover.”

Since the beginning of Carter Dixon’s adventures, Oz had appointed himself as his friend’s ‘official historian’. The resultant books were all bestsellers, making Dixon something of a celebrity. Dixon sometimes regretted agreeing to the arrangement – he was a solitary creature by nature, and disdained the spotlight. But it pleased his best and oldest friend – that was enough for Dixon.

Last edited:

Peacock's-Eye

This is going to be slow going from here on in - getting the tone right won't be easy. But here's another bit of the reworked opening chapter. I'm trying to get that 1930's style of banter just perfect. Also, the "French treasure hunter" mentioned isn't a nod to Belloq - I'm imagining more of a funny little character who talks like Agatha Christie's "Poirot". Of course he turns up later.

“How’re the ‘races’, Oz?”

'Races' - Dixon’s euphemism for romantic conquests.

“I have a few horses running – real Derby material.”

Oz wore a light brown cheviot suit, with a six-buttoned double-breasted jacket and squared shoulders; a brown silk tie, fastened with a brass tie-bar, was tucked into his shirt. A standard issue fedora rested on the table beside him. Dixon noticed that Oz’s fingernails had recently been manicured.

And he detected something subtly changed about his friend.

“You’ve changed cigarette brands,” he said.

Oz smiled. “Nothing gets by you, Dix!”

Oz removed a sterling silver cigarette case from an inner pocket and flipped it open. “I’ve traded up my usual Lucky Strikes for these – 'Nat Shermans'. Try one?”

“After breakfast,” Dixon replied.

Oz snapped the case shut and slipped it back into his jacket.

When they finished their breakfast, Winchester cleared the table.

“So you found the dagger-thingy,” Oz prompted him, offering a smoke.

Dixon selected a cigarette and Oz lit it for him.

“A French treasure-hunter by the name of Adrien Viers, unearthed it,” Dixon said, “I don’t know where. I picked up the trail in Hong Kong and followed, all the way into Mongolia. The sale to the Jade Dragonlord was already set up. I talked Viers out of completing the transaction. He’d most certainly be dead if I hadn’t. But before I could get out of Hong Kong, the Dragonlord’s henchmen caught up with me.”

“But you escaped,” Oz said.

“It was touch and go,” Dixon said, “I have more plays than the Dragonlord will ever figure out. But I lost the Phurba.”

“Who has it now?”

The expression on Dixon’s face told him everything.

“Dammit,” Oz said sympathetically and leaned back in his chair. “Thank God you’re alive, anyway.”

Sir.”

Winchester was standing in front them.

“What is it?” Dixon said.

“Someone to see you. A woman – Ann Cadmus.”

“Well, send her in,” Dixon said.

“Of course,” Winchester said, bowing a little, “Of course.”

Oz shook his head. “The cheek, Dixon.”

A woman entered and walked halfway down the length of the table. She was of average height, wearing blouse and slacks of slate gray – but a clinging evening gown couldn’t have shown off her figure more perfectly. Her hair was black, bobbed with ‘finger waves’. Her complexion was perfect, the color of sunlight bleeding through rose petals, and her eyes were otherworldly blue. In one arm a beaded purse was couched, the other hung lazily at her side.

“Talk about Derby material,” Oz whispered.

Heel,” Dixon replied.

“Well, your Man Friday is a scream,” the woman said.

Oz laughed. “We who know and love him like to think so.”

“He frisked me.”

“He frisks me too!”

“I have persistent enemies,” Dixon said, “Come closer, Mrs - ”

“Miss.”

“Miss Cadmus. Please.”

Oz pulled out a chair.

“Why don’t you sit down, Ann?”

Keeping an eye on Oz, Ann took the seat.

Oz opened his cigarette case.

“Smoke?”

“Obliged,” Ann said, removing a long, black cigarette holder from her purse. Oz lit two cigarettes, slid one into Ann’s holder, then sat down beside her.

“Is that Shalimar you’re wearing?” Oz asked.

“It is!” She was plainly flattered that her fragrance had not gone unnoticed.

“Are these Nat Shermans?” she asked in turn.

“They are.”

Dixon cleared his throat -

“How can I be of service to you, Miss Cadmus?”

Last edited:

Peacock's-Eye

Slightly modified so there's some repeated text here, but beyond that, a continuation to the end of Chapter One.
A fire was lit in the parlor, and Dixon took a briar ‘bulldog’ pipe down from the mantle, and filled it from a cork tobacco container with strong English tobacco, the sort smoked by Oxford dons when they wanted to empty the common room. The parlor already smelled of tobacco. The furniture was Victorian – a couch against one wall, an overstuffed chair (Dixon’s) near the fireplace, and three hardbacked chairs arranged in a semi circle facing in. In one corner there was a stuffed and mounted Kodiak bear, shot by Dixon’s grandfather, and several original paintings by Henry Thomas Alkin of fox hunting and sporting scenes were mounted on the walls.

They heard Winchester’s voice outside the room, and a moment later a woman entered. She was of average height, wearing blouse and slacks of slate gray – but a clinging evening gown couldn’t have shown off her figure more perfectly. Her hair was black, bobbed with ‘finger waves’. Her complexion was perfect, the color of sunlight bleeding through rose petals, and her eyes were otherworldly blue. In one arm a beaded purse was couched, the other hung lazily at her side.

“Talk about Derby material,” Oz whispered.

Behave.”

“Well, your Man Friday is a scream,” the woman said.

Oz laughed. “We who know and love him like to think so.”

“He frisked me.”

“He frisks me too!” said Oz.

“I have persistent enemies,” Dixon said, “Come closer, Mrs - ”

“Miss.”

“Miss Cadmus. Please.”

Oz pulled out a chair.

“Why don’t you sit down, Ann?”

Keeping an eye on Oz, Ann took the seat.

Oz opened his cigarette case.

“Smoke?”

“Obliged,” Ann said, removing a long, black cigarette holder from her purse. Oz lit two cigarettes, slid one into Ann’s holder, then sat down beside her.

“Is that Shalimar you’re wearing?” Oz asked.

“It is! Are these Nat Shermans?”

“They are!”

Dixon cleared his throat -

“How can I be of service to you, Miss Cadmus?”

“I want you to locate a missing person.”

“I take it you’ve already gone to the police?”

“Their investigation is inconclusive so far. I believe it’s been hampered.”

“How so?”

“They believe the missing person is dead.”

“And you don’t.”

“I don’t know – but I feel, Mr. Dixon. Very strongly, that he is still alive.”

“Who?”

“Archibald Cadmus, my uncle.”

Dixon threw himself onto the overstuffed chair and sat very low with his arms hanging over the sides, like a truculent child.

“Tell me why you think I can help you,” Dixon said, “This sounds like straight forward police work to me.”

“To begin with, I’m being followed.”

“By whom?”

“If I knew that, Mr. Dixon, I wouldn’t be here. All I can tell you is that they’re always dressed in black, and I can never get a good look at their faces. They drive around in a black Ford Sedan. And…this is where your peculiar form of expertise comes in: they can just disappear, like they were never there at all.”

“How do I know they were there to begin with?” Dixon said.

“That’s easy,” Miss Cadmus replied, “Spend one day with me and you’ll see them for yourself. They won’t leave me alone.”

“And these men you believe are following you, they’re connected to your uncle’s disappearance somehow?”

“I can’t say for sure, but they didn’t show up until after my uncle disappeared.”

“Was your uncle involved in any government work?”

“Not to my knowledge.”

“Was he involved in any criminal activity?”

Ann took a breath. “Not as such.”

“What does that mean, Miss Cadmus?”

“My uncle is a Resident Scholar, at Chesterton College. He is a respected member of the community. A well known scholar in his field of research. But – he did like to gamble. On horse races. And he did get into debt.”

“Did he turn to a loan shark?” Oz asked.

“I believe he did,” Ann said reluctantly. “I know what you’re both thinking – the police detective thought the same thing. But I know for a fact that uncle Archie paid off his gambling debts. He had in his possession several rare artifacts from ancient India. He sold them all recently in order to clear his debts.”

“The objects were valuable?” asked Dixon.

“All but priceless,” Ann replied.

Dixon stood again and emptied the ashes from his pipe into the fireplace, relit the tobacco, and posed with one hand on the mantle.

“Who were the buyers?”

“I can’t say,” replied Ann, “Private collectors. Uncle Archie kept nothing from me, but some parts of his life were kept secret at the request of third parties. Private collectors of rare antiquities don’t necessarily like to advertise their contacts. Museum curates think they have a right to everything. Uncle Archie doesn’t agree, so he deals only with private collectors. All anonymous.”

“They can be found,” Dixon said, “I’ll need that part of your story verified. But assuming you’re right – gambling debts aside, who else would want to abduct your uncle? Did he have any enemies in academia, rivals?”

“Not that I know of,” Ann said, taking a long drag on her cigarette, “He specialized in a rather unique subject. Are you familiar with the Samara Sutradhara?”

Dixon nodded. “A fourth century Sanskrit text. Translates as ‘Battlefield Commander’, does it not?”

“That’s right!” Ann said.

Oz scratched his head -

“I’m a little rusty on my ancient Sanskrit literature, Dix…,”

“It’s a manual of warfare,” Dixon explained, “But it describes weapons and vehicles advanced beyond anything the modern world has invented.”

“Ah!” Oz scribbled down some notes.

Dixon turned to Ann. “What was his interest in the Samara Sutradhara?”

“He’s a scholar of Sanskrit literature,” Ann said, “I guess you could say his interest is professional. He’s very passionate about it.”

“And you were close to your Uncle?” Dixon asked.

“My parents were killed in an accident when I was eight years old,” Ann said, “My uncle all but raised me. He was married then – he divorced when I went to college. I don’t blame my aunt for leaving. She was much younger than him – he was her tutor at college. Archie was always preoccupied with his studies. Apart from the horse races, and his students, he doesn’t think about anything else. And as I said, he never kept secrets from me – not about his own life anyway.”

Dixon nodded and silently smoked his pipe.

“He was a very good father to me, Mr. Dixon. And after he was divorced, I traveled with him, to India and Europe. He’s the most important person in my life. I accept him as he is. Gambling is a part of him. I accepted that too. But I don’t believe it has anything to do with his disappearance.”

“It most certainly does,” Dixon said, at last, “The question is: what?”

Then he went silent again.

“Will you take the case, Mr. Dixon?”

Dixon looked first at Oz, then at Ann.

“I will.”

“When can you begin your investigation?”

“Immediately,” Dixon replied, “I want to see where he lived.”