What does Indy do when he's not on an adventure?

Canyon

I have come up with the following:

Teaching at the university, writing up field notes, attending guest lectures, dating, attending dinner parties, preparing lectures for class, grading term papers, attending museum exhibits, reading, listening to music/jazz, meeting up with Marcus/his father/friends, writing letters, buying Indy gear/clothes/weapons, getting his fedora reblocked, and sleeping. :D

Well, have I missed anything out?

San Holo

You forgot about the women. Indy spends alot of time romancing every girlie from students to actresses.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Canyon said:
I have come up with the following:

Teaching at the university, writing up field notes, attending guest lectures, dating, attending dinner parties, preparing lectures for class, grading term papers, attending museum exhibits, reading, listening to music/jazz, meeting up with Marcus/his father/friends, writing letters, buying Indy gear/clothes/weapons, getting his fedora reblocked, and sleeping. :D

Well, have I missed anything out?

I don't how much he would do this. He is "nefarious" and he deals with black-market goods. How can we be sure he is actually a "good" professor? I may be inclined to think the University has him on some sort of retainer, simply to acquire the artifacts. The other professors are in the library putting the work in to document the stuff that is found. He had a hard enough time spelling n-e-o-l-i-t-h-i-c. I simply do not see him as a professor I could learn from.

Also you note he would be meeting with his father, but I don't think this would happen either. His father is the academic. He is the one the students hope they don't get...probably because he actually grades them. Indy just has Irene do it all. I say this simply because of the time spent in the zepplin, when there was an awkward tension over simply having a drink.

Don't get me wrong, Canyon. I know you love him, but I can't romanticize him to the level of a gentleman. He is a scoundral that steals the hearts of women with stolen flowers, and steals fortune and glory with stolen artifcats. And we love him for it.

Canyon

Pale, interesting reply.

I am not trying to debate whether Indy is a gentlemen or not and I am am am aware that Indy does have a dark side.

Sorry Pale, not getting at you honest. Please continue. :whip:

Stoo

San Holo said:
You forgot about the women. Indy spends alot of time romancing every girlie from students to actresses.

In Canyon's defence, she did mention "dating". :)
Yes, Indy does have a numerous amount of romantic relationships.
Another addition woud be frequent trips to the hospital after his
physically demanding quests!

I've always enjoyed looking at the shots of Indy's house in ROTA
as it's one of the rare glimpses into his home life. The desk, the
stuff in his cupboard, keeping his gun in his desk drawer, etc.
(Seeing it widescreen is really great for this). Notice that the
wine/champagne bottle is already open when Marcus arrives...

On top of this is Indy's car which is seen in "Crusade". Imagine him
toolin' around in that, going to the garage, getting groceries...
Everyday stuff, ya know?

I can agree with Pale Horse. The prestigious teacher apsect
fell apart in my mind when I first saw the scene in "Crusade" where
he slinks away from Irene & the angry students. Plus, it looks like
the college has given him some kind of boiler-room for an office. :(
Indy *is* a thief (Ex. ROTA opening + "Doom" Madagascar dialogue)

About the Inbetween Life - I love the novels/comic book stories
but my philosophy has always been that his *other* adventures
are much smaller and that the movies are his GREATEST quests.

Old Indy - lectures, museums, dinners, Broadway shows, FAMILY,
psychiatric help, watching TV soap operas, stung by a bee,
afraid of his cat, investigated by the IRS, shootin' pool/billiards,
buying donuts, going to jail, dropping his sandwich in a mailbox... :eek:

Cool thread, Canyon.

Indyologist

Stoo said:
I've always enjoyed looking at the shots of Indy's house in ROTA
as it's one of the rare glimpses into his home life. The desk, the
stuff in his cupboard, keeping his gun in his desk drawer, etc.
(Seeing it widescreen is really great for this). Notice that the
wine/champagne bottle is already open when Marcus arrives...

OMG it's so good to know that I'm not crazy, because I love doing the very same thing, Stoo! I was so happy when I got the DVDs because I was delighted in being able to pause and "zoom" into different areas in Indy's living room in ROTLA! Some things I noticed:

1.) Indy has GREAT taste. His living room looks like a classy bachelor pad to me.
2.) Indy is disorganized and/or can be a slob. Some books in his bookshelves are piled on top of the other books instead of put into the shelves themselves like they normally are. Also, did you happen to notice the BOTTOM of Indy's closet where he takes his leather jacket from? Looks like he hasn't dug through that pile in a while! Also, when he takes his jacket from the hanger, he just lets the hanger fall to the bottom of the closet! Typical bachelor male, or what?
3.) A piano. Indy plays the piano?

What have you noticed?

I'm going to start a thread on this, so you might want to reply there...

Canyon

00Kevin said:
Drool over you of corse!

Awww... :eek:

26.jpg

My.........God...........it's.........Canyon......
swoon.gif

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Nice thought, though. :D

theinfiniteweird

I don't take Indy for a dirty rotten scondrel or thief, and not-so-good teacher by any means (like you all are seeming to describe him). I just think he's way to into his work- "retainer of rare antiquities". Albert Einstein never combed his hair, always wore the same clothes, failed math or somehting liek that, etc. Indy is much the same I think.

He doesn't have time and he doesn't care about keeping organized, tiddy, etc.

He sometimes goes after artifacts for fortune and glory and sometimes because it's the right thing to do, and sometimes a little of both.

Womanizer- what typical hero isn't?

Maybe we could compare Indy to Bond (No, not that again! :p ). Bond should have more diseases than a lab specimen. But he's still a Gentleman.

00Kevin

Indyfan
theinfiniteweird said:
Albert Einstein never combed his hair, always wore the same clothes, failed math or somehting liek that, etc. Indy is much the same I think.

looks like you failed spelling...jk :D

theinfinitewierd said:
He doesn't have time and he doesn't care about keeping organized, tiddy, etc.

He sometimes goes after artifacts for fortune and glory and sometimes because it's the right thing to do, and sometimes a little of both.

Womanizer- what typical hero isn't?

Maybe we could compare Indy to Bond (No, not that again! :p ). Bond should have more diseases than a lab specimen. But he's still a Gentleman.

sigh, always comparing bond and indy, can't we all get along? :D ok, you didn't bash bond, I respect that

I agree with you that indy is no scoundrel, I also agree that he doesn't care about keeping things tiddy. womenizer to some extent, but definitly less then that of your typical hero while off the job

I take that back:

Indy is no womenizer, he's a Canyonizer

fatima

Canyon said:
Pale, interesting reply.

I am not trying to debate whether Indy is a gentlemen or not and I am am am aware that Indy does have a dark side.

Sorry Pale, not getting at you honest. Please continue. :whip:

What dark side? give an example pleaseeeee....well but I agree with his spare time while is not in adventure, your list seems complete!
But yeah he also spends time with the girls, students too....

Indyologist

Luisiana Jones said:
But he only drinks or does he get high too? :p

Sorry Luisiana J., but Indy only gets "high" in planes. Funny, though. Could you imagine how Indy would act if he got stoned?

Webley

Luisiana Jones said:
But he only drinks or does he get high too? :p
Indy did live in a time before the hamilton act took place so mybe he did smoke marijuana. If he puffed tough in say 1914 its not like he was braking the law ;) Back than it was quite acceptable for some one to kick back and enjoy some marijuana after a hard day's work. :whip:

Last edited: