who was worse: Sarducci from Philosopher's Stone or Belloq from Raiders?

Indy Scout 117

for those of you who have read Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone, you know who Sarducci is. When i was reading Philosopher's Stone, i made a lot of comparisons to Raiders of the Lost Ark. but i was wondering who you guys thought was worse: Sarducci or Belloq from Raiders. personally i thought that Belloq was, and always will be, Indy's biggest and best rival. but what do YOU think??:whip:

It depends on what you define as "worse." Sarducci was certainly more evil and depraved. He butchered the doctor who failed to same his wife, and he was a confidant to Mussolini himself. Belloq, on the other hand, was an amoral opportunist who only allied himself with the Nazis in order to obtain the Ark. We never even see Belloq personally kill anyone (although he makes many attempts against Indy). In terms of who was a better rival, I have to give it to Belloq. He is indeed a "shadowy reflection" of Indy, and that similiarity makes him an extremely compelling adversary. Not that Sarducci wasn't a great foe (I especially liked the anti-intellectual vs. college professor angle), but Belloq is hands down the best Indy enemy in the entire canon.

Morning Bell

Charlemagne said:
It depends on what you define as "worse." Sarducci was certainly more evil and depraved. He butchered the doctor who failed to same his wife, and he was a confidant to Mussolini himself. Belloq, on the other hand, was an amoral opportunist who only allied himself with the Nazis in order to obtain the Ark. We never even see Belloq personally kill anyone (although he makes many attempts against Indy). In terms of who was a better rival, I have to give it to Belloq. He is indeed a "shadowy reflection" of Indy, and that similiarity makes him an extremely compelling adversary. Not that Sarducci wasn't a great foe (I especially liked the anti-intellectual vs. college professor angle), but Belloq is hands down the best Indy enemy in the entire canon.

You summed up my thoughts pretty well. Sarducci was definitely an evil and menacing villain but Belloq had a certain craftiness and attitude that made him not only an interesting villain but also a "dark" version of Indy, not to mention that they had a long rivalry that raised the stakes even more.

Indy Scout 117

yeah i thought the same. Belloq is still my favorite Indy villain. i thought that Philosopher's Stone and Raiders had a lot in common, like how the beginning took place in a jungle and how Indy had to go through a lot of trouble to get the artifact and then the villain just takes it away from him without having to go through the trouble. poor Indy...:( but he always wins in the end anyway!! :)