Who wants a Indy mmo?

I think it would be great to have a Indiana Jones online game, Lucas has already started on a Star Wars mmo, so i think Indy needs attention as well, i think Indy needs more video games and a mmo. What do you Raven folks think?

RedeemedChild

Well lets remember that George Lucas has never shown the Indiana Jones franchise the same amount of love and affection that he has given Star Wars.

To him Star Wars is and I quote Mr. Lucas himself "Star Wars is my sandbox."

So an Indiana Jones MMO is a bit off in the distance. Plus Mr. George Lucas still has to create an MMORPG for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Online and he has to finish the sequel game to The Force Unleashed 2. So I'd say we might not see an Indiana Jones MMO for quite a few years yet if ever.

The Drifter

Star Wars makes a good MMO because of the wealth of characters and aliens one can be. All of the worlds and planets one can visit.
Indiana Jones would not make a good MMO because of the limitation of the universe.

Trennas

I actually have thought about this a while back, but quickly decided that it just didn't feel like something Indy at all. Indiana Jones always felt like the more solitary adventurer to me, sometimes with a small party, but never in a large group. The Indy universe works great because of this kind of simplicity, so why change that? And to be honest, I couldn't really think of anything to make it work. I mean, what would you have thousands of players do in the Indy universe? How would you make it interesting for them? No one can really take on his role, or that of his friends, so what is left? Villains? Other treasure hunters? Students? I don't know, but it doesn't seem anywhere near enough variety for an MMO. Having that said, remember that MMO's are primarily so popular because players can fill in their own characters. Just don't see that happening with Indy, regardless of whether Lucalarts gives it the same love as the Star Wars franchise.

Nurhachi1991

An Indy MMO could work there could be a good side with good Archeologists and a bad side (Nazi's) and Indy could be the main npc who would interact with quests you do

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
An Indy MMO could work there could be a good side with good Archeologists and a bad side (Nazi's) and Indy could be the main npc who would interact with quests you do

But, it would be boring.
There is not enough character options for players in the Indyverse. We have humans and that's it. What classes would there be and what would make each one different and unique?

RedeemedChild

Nurhachi1991 said:

Yes, now you're talking. That's the same thing they did with the Pirates of the Caribbean MMORPG and I'm hoping that's what they'll do for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, A Series of Unfortunate Event's, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Wizard of Oz and Twilight.

I can already see how an Indiana Jones MMO would work if an animated Indiana Jones TV show is launched. Perhaps a LEGO Indiana Jones MMO would do better but on second thought that just might not happen with the upcoming LEGO Universe MMORPG and who knows what's next? I would not be surprised to see a LEGO Harry Potter MMO or LEGO Star Wars MMO.

Here are my Class Ideas:

Archeologist

Rogue

Rogue Archeologist

Thief

Guardian Knight (like the old Knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)

Grave Robber

Rover

Nazi

United States Marines

United States Army

Mystery Shades (Like Irina Spalko)

Indian Braves (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

Akator Warriors (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

Last edited:
These are all good ideas guys. I'm sure Lucas will find away to entertain us Indy fans, for those who do not think the game will succed.

Lance Quazar

RedeemedChild said:
Yes, now you're talking. That's the same thing they did with the Pirates of the Caribbean MMORPG and I'm hoping that's what they'll do for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, A Series of Unfortunate Event's, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Wizard of Oz and Twilight.

I can already see how an Indiana Jones MMO would work if an animated Indiana Jones TV show is launched. Perhaps a LEGO Indiana Jones MMO would do better but on second thought that just might not happen with the upcoming LEGO Universe MMORPG and who knows what's next? I would not be surprised to see a LEGO Harry Potter MMO or LEGO Star Wars MMO.

Here are my Class Ideas:

Archeologist

Rogue

Rogue Archeologist

Thief

Guardian Knight (like the old Knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)

Grave Robber

Rover

Nazi

United States Marines

United States Army

Mystery Shades (Like Irina Spalko)

Indian Braves (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

Akator Warriors (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

Didn't the Indiana Jones West End Games RPG have character templates like the their "Star Wars" game?

Lance Quazar

RedeemedChild said:
Sadly I'm not familiar with those. Could you expound a bit please?

Wow, where to begin? I'll try to be brief -

The West End Games Star Wars RPG was an extraordinarily well-written and well-conceived role playing game published between the mid 80s and mid 90s.

It pre-dated the publication of all of the Star Wars "EU" material, but wound up serving as a rich reference for many of the authors of the EU.

It was extremely detailed and thoughtfully written, but the gaming system itself was elegant in its simplicity. Rather than bogging down with countless die rolls like D&D, the gaming mechanics were designed to be easy and efficient and all based on the classic six-sided die (called the d6 system.)

This made for a swiftly moving game that really did help capture the fast-paced swashbuckling tone of the films.

To further facilitate game play, rather than spending hours and hours rolling up a character with all its attributes and choosing a race, class, backstory, abilities and all that, the game provided a number of easy to use character "templates" for the players to choose from.

Now, of course, you could modify these templates to suit your taste, invent your own backstory, whatever, but it was an extremely creative and easy to use jumping off point to get the characters created and plugged into the action.

The templates were so inventive they often helped shape the story.

Now, a large percentage of the templates - at least those provided in the core rule book - were based on the characters from the films.

So you could choose "Brash Pilot" - a character modeled after ANH Luke, or "Smuggler" or "Wookie Co Pilot" or "Protocol Droid", "Gambler", "Bounty Hunter", etc.

And by choosing the template, you would have most of your skills and attributes already in place, though you were given additional ways to modify and specify the character before playing. But the process was far faster and easier than D&D character creation.

But there were many more templates that were original, interesting and funny character types you could choose from - "Exiled Noble", "Failed Jedi", etc. My favorite was the "Quixotic Jedi" - a character who is a little nuts who thinks he's a Jedi, but, in fact, really isn't.

Additional supplements provided an increasingly wider and more imaginative array of templates to choose from. A supplemental book called "Heroes and Rogues" was just a collection of new and interesting templates, both heroic and villanious characters alike. Lots of incredible cool ideas there - Rebel or Imperial spies, criminal types, etc.

It was a great way to get the players immersed in the SW universe in a fun, but easy manner.

Now, West End also made an Indiana Jones game, but I never played it and only glanced briefly at some of the materials in a store once, a long time ago.

I think that they had the same approach - character templates for the kinds of characters you would find in an Indiana Jones-style adventure.

The point of the WEG system was not actually to play Indy himself, but go on Indiana Jones-esque adventures in that world and time period.

So, and I'm just kind of guessing here, the templates might have been something like - "Daredevil Pilot", "Museum Curator", "Wealthy Heiress", etc.

However, like I said, I never owned the materials, so I can't say for certain....but I would love to take a look at those old gaming books just for fun one day, though I'd imagine most are almost as hard to track down these days as the Ark itself.

back on topic, though, an Indy MMORPG will never, ever get made. There isn't the audience, the world isn't expansive enough. Sorry, folks!

Lambonius

The problem with an Indy MMO is the simple fact that no-one in their right mind would want to play an Indy game in which you couldn't BE Indy! Now, an MMO based on an adventure pulp serial universe COULD be interesting, but it wouldn't make much sense to call it Indiana Jones, since you couldn't play as Indy. Besides, Indiana Jones doesn't really have a "universe"--he's just a fictional character that fits into our normal historical timeline.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I know someone on here last year was developing a fan made version and a few members were given the opportunity to play and test it- Indy_Chic was one of them. If you PM her about it, she should be able to tell her what it was like, etc. The person developing wasn't active here for long, I think there was only a newbie thread that mentioned it when he was introducing himself on here, and that was about it. I can't remember who else got to test it.

Personally, I don't really care for online games or RPG stuff. I'm quite happy with just the game style we've always had, being able to play as Indy or other Indy characters (of course, when it's good). Personally it would be good the next game that comes out, that you can play more than just Indy (yes, like that Henry Snr thing on Wii for SoK, though on all consoles instead of just the one!).

Nurhachi1991

Lonsome_Drifter said:
But, it would be boring.
There is not enough character options for players in the Indyverse. We have humans and that's it. What classes would there be and what would make each one different and unique?

Warrior class - Nazi Soldier

Ranger class - Thuggee bowman

Mage class- Thuggee priest

spy class- Nazi Agent

Well i'm stilling hoping for a Indy MMO. Theres nothing wrong with wanting to have a Indy mmo. But it's fine you all don't want one. Star War is a little fiction but there still making a mmo for SW. Oh well i guess some dreams don't come true.

jamesdude

515328-merc_screen003_super.jpg