Anyone been to Cape Town?

westford

I'm going to Cape Town later this year - never been before, so looking for some recommendations of where to go and what to see/do...

Stoo

I've never been but the view from Table Mountain is supposed to take your breath away.
Also, the beaches on the east side of the Cape are apparently warmer than the western beaches.

Enjoy your trip! I envy you.

deckard24

If you can you should go on a shark/cage diving expedition! Outside of Australia and California, South Africa has the most great whites around. I hope you post some pics when you get back, South Africa is a place I've always wanted to go!

Have fun!!

Little Indy

Just saw a documentary on National Geographic Channel. Some parts are very dangerous. You go first. Have fun, be careful.

westford

deckard24 said:
If you can you should go on a shark/cage diving expedition! Outside of Australia and California, South Africa has the most great whites around. I hope you post some pics when you get back, South Africa is a place I've always wanted to go!

Have fun!!
Happy to oblige :hat:

shark
cage divers
another shark
more sharky goodness
my husband looking pleased with himself
heading back to shore

The dive was pretty cool - we saw a few different great whites and they were about 3-4m long. One stuck its nose into the cage next to my husband, so it was maybe about 20-30cm away from him. I was expecting the water to be freezing, but it wasn't too bad - visibility wasn't great, so the sharks have to be pretty close for you to be able to see them. We had a disposable underwater camera and got a couple of decent shots, but several of them are a murky grey-blue void - I'll have to scan the best ones and upload them. If you ever get the chance to do a shark dive, go for it! But take some sea-sickness pills - they don't call it the Cape of Storms for nothing. We went out on a calm day and about 7 people on board threw up.

Here are some more pics from South Africa - this first lot are from Cape Town and the Cape Peninsula -

from the top of Table Mountain
from Table Mountain again
insert obligatory Sallah quotation here...
Cape fur seals
king protea (aka biiig flowers)
Cape Point
ostriches by the sea
baboons by the sea
penguin on the beach
Boulders Beach penguin colony
V&A Waterfront & Table Mountain
sunset at Sea Point

And some highlights from our safari at Mala Mala -

wallowing hippo
lion cubs
elephant
elephants walking away
little buffalo
lions
leopard
yawn
wildebeest
zebra
rhino
roadblock - South African style
little elephant
warthog
sleepy leopard
lion cub
bored lion cub
lion cub again cos its just so cute
lioness at night
giraffe
giraffe again
buffalo skull
chameleon
kudu
and finally, a baboon's backside (well, it had to be done ;) )

deckard24

westford said:
Happy to oblige :hat:

shark
cage divers
another shark
more sharky goodness
my husband looking pleased with himself
heading back to shore

The dive was pretty cool - we saw a few different great whites and they were about 3-4m long. One stuck its nose into the cage next to my husband, so it was maybe about 20-30cm away from him. I was expecting the water to be freezing, but it wasn't too bad - visibility wasn't great, so the sharks have to be pretty close for you to be able to see them. We had a disposable underwater camera and got a couple of decent shots, but several of them are a murky grey-blue void - I'll have to scan the best ones and upload them. If you ever get the chance to do a shark dive, go for it! But take some sea-sickness pills - they don't call it the Cape of Storms for nothing. We went out on a calm day and about 7 people on board threw up.

Here are some more pics from South Africa - this first lot are from Cape Town and the Cape Peninsula -

from the top of Table Mountain
from Table Mountain again
insert obligatory Sallah quotation here...
Cape fur seals
king protea (aka biiig flowers)
Cape Point
ostriches by the sea
baboons by the sea
penguin on the beach
Boulders Beach penguin colony
V&A Waterfront & Table Mountain
sunset at Sea Point

And some highlights from our safari at Mala Mala -

wallowing hippo
lion cubs
elephant
elephants walking away
little buffalo
lions
leopard
yawn
wildebeest
zebra
rhino
roadblock - South African style
little elephant
warthog
sleepy leopard
lion cub
bored lion cub
lion cub again cos its just so cute
lioness at night
giraffe
giraffe again
buffalo skull
chameleon
kudu
and finally, a baboon's backside (well, it had to be done ;) )
It sounds like you had an awesome time! I'm definitely a bit jealous, going on a shark dive has been on my list of "things to do before I die" for a long time. One day!

Great pics! Thanks!:hat: