Star Wars: The Force Awakens

kongisking

Yup. Already sick to death of the puns about the word 'awakens'. Especially coming from those who think it sounds stupid because they keep reading it extremely literally. You're all so clever and smart, we get it.

TheFedora

kongisking said:
Yup. Already sick to death of the puns about the word 'awakens'. Especially coming from those who think it sounds stupid because they keep reading it extremely literally. You're all so clever and smart, we get it.

I think tbh that its more of someone unlocking the true potential of the force. A true 'chosen one' that this time will suceed where Anakin Skywalker failed.

Pale Horse

Staff member
kongisking said:

Note my Dune reference...

Montana Smith

kongisking said:

Star Wars chapter titles have always been literal, because that's what they are: serial chapter titles.

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
The Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

As in Flash Gordon:

1.The Planet of Peril
2.The Tunnel of Terror
3.Captured by Shark Men
4.Battling the Sea Beast
5.The Destroying Ray
6.Flaming Torture
7.Shattering Doom
8.Tournament of Death
9.Fighting the Fire Dragon
10.The Unseen Peril
11.In the Claws of the Tigron
12.Trapped in the Turret
13.Rocketing to Earth

1.New Worlds to Conquer
2.The Living Dead
3.Queen of Magic
4.Ancient Enemies
5.The Boomerang
6.Tree-men of Mars
7.The Prisoner of Mongo
8.The Black Sapphire of Kalu
9.Symbol of Death
10.Incense of Forgetfulness
11.Human Bait
12.Ming the Merciless
13.The Miracle of Magic
14.A Beast at Bay
15.An Eye for an Eye

1.The Purple Death
2.Freezing Torture
3.Walking Bombs
4.The Destroying Ray
5.The Palace of Horror
6.Flaming Death
7.The Land of the Dead
8.The Fiery Abyss
9.The Pool of Peril
10.The Death Mist
11.Stark Treachery
12.Doom of the Dictator

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
The Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Again, I find myself reminding you that the title of the very first film is A New Hope. And yes, I know you'll say it wasn't that originally. But in this case, it should be on the list, as it was specifically added to give the original piece a literal chapter title of its own. It strengthens the point instead of detracting from it.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Again, I find myself reminding you that the title of the very first film is A New Hope. And yes, I know you'll say it wasn't that originally. But in this case, it should be on the list, as it was specifically added to give the original piece a literal chapter title of its own. It strengthens the point instead of detracting from it.

Indeed.

Though I also find Star Wars literal in the chapter sense when compared, for instance, to 'Battle in the Stratosphere' from the Commando Cody serial, Radar Men from the Moon. ;)

Grizzlor

I think the title explains a lot, but it's also not surprising. Clearly a large gap of time has passed after ROTJ, there was likely a period of mostly peace. At some point the Dark Side returns, at which point the old cast and new friends must leap back into action.

HenryJunior

Everybody join the Speculation train! (choo, choo)

I don't have the dates memorized by heart but you have about a 25 year period from Sith to Jedi where there was an incredible downturn in force users. So much so that a lot of the general population barely believes it exists. Han Solo doesn't think much of it anymore in ANH even though he's old enough to know about it. (There's also Ezra and Kanan in Star Wars Rebels but their story arc is sorta yet to be seen)

Now you have an additional 30 years since ROTJ. I doubt they'll just skip by any large plot points that happened in those thirty years, so that means Luke will just now really be restarting the Jedi, or Luke has reached out into the force and become far more powerful than when we last saw him.

50-ish years seems like more than enough time to consider the force mostly dormant, and now it's waking back up. Yup I'm excited :D

Finn

Staff member
Grizzlor said:
I think the title explains a lot, but it's also not surprising. Clearly a large gap of time has passed after ROTJ, there was likely a period of mostly peace. At some point the Dark Side returns, at which point the old cast and new friends must leap back into action.
While the hardcore fans are in arms over their decision to wipe most of EU out of existence, I have to say it wasn't a bad call. It somewhat made the Star Wars universe seem like a crapsack galaxy, given how after their supposedly big win in ROTJ, all the Rebellion got for their troubles was more crises, some even worse than the original.

If things actually went into a lull after that, it makes the ending of Ep VI far more poignant.

Raiders90

Finn said:
While the hardcore fans are in arms over their decision to wipe most of EU out of existence, I have to say it wasn't a bad call. It somewhat made the Star Wars universe seem like a crapsack galaxy, given how after their supposedly big win in ROTJ, all the Rebellion got for their troubles was more crises, some even worse than the original.

If things actually went into a lull after that, it makes the ending of Ep VI far more poignant.

I like to imagine that the Empire, after the massive defeat in Endor, some of the Empire's more sane forces signed a cease-fire or peace treaty with the Rebels and granted them some concessions or even some worlds to build a new Republic upon. I do not believe it ceased to exist over night and I have a feeling we'll be hearing from them, or what is left, in the new movies.

kongisking

Raiders112390 said:
I like to imagine that the Empire, after the massive defeat in Endor, some of the Empire's more sane forces signed a cease-fire or peace treaty with the Rebels and granted them some concessions or even some worlds to build a new Republic upon. I do not believe it ceased to exist over night and I have a feeling we'll be hearing from them, or what is left, in the new movies.

Current rumors suggest something like this, with the new Republic and the Empire in a kind of Cold War relationship, that then explodes horribly thanks to the events of this movie, sparking the next major galactic conflict to act as the backbone of a SW trilogy. It could, of course, be bull, but its a cool idea with lots of potential.

HenryJunior

I wanna see rag-tag independent Stormtroopers living off of the final scraps of the Empire so bad. It offers an interesting counterpoint to the OT, now the Imperials are the Rebels :dead:

maybe the "force awakens" means they will be waking up to how horrible the old Jedi order was in the past to make amends and move forward (i.e. not being baby-snatching, love-forbidding, emotionless, and action-less weirdos) with Luke's new Jedi

Last edited:

Montana Smith

featofstrength said:
maybe the "force awakens" means they will be waking up to how horrible the old Jedi order was in the past to make amends and move forward (i.e. not being baby-snatching, love-forbidding, emotionless, and action-less weirdos) with Luke's new Jedi

Or they wake up to the realization that the Prequel Trilogy was simply a shared Sith-induced nightmare that never actually happened. :D

Grizzlor

Finn said:

It had to be "done" or at least announced for two reasons. First, you kind of ruin the "surprise" element of the story if too many fans "know" the outcome like they did in the prequels. Second and more importantly, the EU picked up pretty much where ROTJ left off. There was a LOT of content produced for this time period, right through the time where the Solo kids became teens. Episode VII has little choice but to extend the story 2 maybe 3 decades forward, "skipping" through nearly all of the EU continuity we've seen. Don't get me wrong, technically what they come up with could still fall in line with EU continuity simply by omitting reference to it.

Grizzlor said:
It had to be "done" or at least announced for two reasons. First, you kind of ruin the "surprise" element of the story if too many fans "know" the outcome like they did in the prequels. Second and more importantly, the EU picked up pretty much where ROTJ left off. There was a LOT of content produced for this time period, right through the time where the Solo kids became teens. Episode VII has little choice but to extend the story 2 maybe 3 decades forward, "skipping" through nearly all of the EU continuity we've seen. Don't get me wrong, technically what they come up with could still fall in line with EU continuity simply by omitting reference to it.

Surprise? But aren't most of JJ's movies just love letters?

Grizzlor

featofstrength said:
Surprise? But aren't most of JJ's movies just love letters?

True, but the MI movies have twists in them. By surprise I mean we don't really know what new characters are involved, and what purpose they will play.

Grizzlor said:
True, but the MI movies have twists in them. By surprise I mean we don't really know what new characters are involved, and what purpose they will play.

Like "the team has been compromised by a mole" and/or "we're going rogue agent on our corrupt organization?" Sorry, only seen up to the third one, and that was more than enough.

got a copy of "The Star Wars Cookbook II" in the mail the other day..."The Force Frittata" - hmmm...absurd, yet somewhat exciting title. Anyone wanna try it for Life Day?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Who needs a death star when you have a salmon cannon? (Wait for 3:31.)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l9qA8c-E_oA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>