Crystal Skull articles

robweiner8

I just read a really good book on the crystal skulls called "The Mystery of the Crystal Skulls: Unlocking the Secrets of the Past, Present and Future." I was a little weary to read it when saw it was labeled "new age." However, it a pretty clear headed look at the real life crystal skulls, the legends surrounding them, and scientific tests done on them. There are some frustrating parts with psychics and "channeling information from the skulls." But if you want to get some background info on the subject of Indy 4, I'd suggest reading it.

MaxPhactor23

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it. One question though, any Alien theories claimed to be likely or fact in the book? If so...I'll pass on buying the trash.

robweiner8

MaxPhactor23 said:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it. One question though, any Alien theories claimed to be likely or fact in the book? If so...I'll pass on buying the trash.
The authors dismiss the idea the skulls are alien in origin. They include some quotes of people who believe in an e-t origin and why, but the theory certainly isn't presented as fact.
One interesting thing to note is that the Mitchell-Hedges skull could never have been made by modern crystal carving methods (confirmed by Hewlett Packard) because the skull would have shattered under the pressure of modern tools. It therefore must have been carved by hand, which they estimate would have taken 3 years!!!

ReggieSnake

robweiner8 said:
One interesting thing to note is that the Mitchell-Hedges skull could never have been made by modern crystal carving methods (confirmed by Hewlett Packard) because the skull would have shattered under the pressure of modern tools. It therefore must have been carved by hand, which they estimate would have taken 3 years!!!
That is interesting; I remember reading about that on the wiki.Crystal skull I'll have to look up that book.

WillKill4Food

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Raiders

Wow, that's really cool, did the accual Crystal Skull hav something to do with satanic powers or somethin, I've heard that before.

WillKill4Food

The_Raiders said:
Wow, that's really cool, did the accual Crystal Skull hav something to do with satanic powers or somethin, I've heard that before.
well, its not the actual crystal skull. there are many crystal skulls. this is just one of them. satanic powers is a new one to me, i don't think that an actual theory...considering most people don't believe in satan. you should probably read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_skull

Indy1970

May Issue of Archaelogy Magazine has Article on Crystal Skulls

Greetings,

FYI:

Archaelology magazine has a nice article on the real crystal skulls and the tie in to the new IJ movie.
If you dont want to read an entire book on the subject look for the May issue - I have posted a link to the magazine website - but it has yet to be updated for May. So you may want to check back soon

The article also has a little bit on the "real" fertility idol from the opening of Radiers of the lost Ark

http://www.archaeology.org/

Perhilion

Yeah, I get that magazine. I was excited when I saw the cover but the article disappointed me. The writer pretty much discounted all the crystal skulls as fakes without giving much of a good reason, except that some of them are too good to be real. Oh, and the fertility idol? Turns out the statue it's based on is a fake,too. In fact, "fake" seemed to be the word of the day. Way to go.

bflah91989

What are your opinions on the Crystal Skulls?

I have tried reading as much as I could about them, but everything I find equally compelling arguments from both sides of the table. Personally, I feel that, while, there are real Crystal Skulls from a pre-Colombian society but a majority of the skulls are forgeries. I can't see a practical use for the skulls other than as a means of decoration, or as a symbol of power.

Perhilion

Yeah, most of them are fake, I think, but there are a few that could be genuine. I just don't think it's fair to disregard them all as fake just because most of them are fake. The Mitchell-Hedges skull is a paradox, because it couldn't have been made with modern tools (tests have shown no signs of carving or sanding or anything) but it also can't have been made in ancient times, at least as far as we know.

bflah91989

One thing I read said that to form the skulls the way they were would have taken at least 150 years of sand rubbing after the rough design was made. I will have to find a source for this.

Perhilion

Yeah, I've read that in a few places. Either 150 or 300 years. That kind of devotion....plus you have to take in the amount of human error over that amount of time. Someone would have slipped up somewhere. Not to mention it was carved against the grain, so it should have shattered, even if it was made in modern days. Odd, isn't it?

bflah91989

In the "Indiana Jones 4" forum, an author of an article on the Crystal Skull posted it. I have found it quite interesting and is one reference to the formation of the Crystal Skull. What this article has that I have not seen before is the transformation of the clear crystal to a milky crystal before major tragic events. It would be interesting to see more reference to the changing of the Skull's color. It could have just been a coincidence if it just changed in November of 1963.
http://therecord.blogs.com/withinearshot/keeper-of-the-crystal-sku.html