Anything Goes V.S. Hound Dog

Forbidden Eye

Hound Dog is a better song, but Anything Goes works better for the movie.

Although I did love the American Graffiti-esque opening.

You're joking, right?

They're not even remotely contextually similar. We're talking diagetic vs. non-diagetic music.

And the Hound Dog use was entirely a contrivance. Just disgusting.

No question, Temple had a better opening.

Kingsley

Prairie dog aside, the opening of KOTCS isn't bad at all. Far better than the last half of the movie.

But I prefer TOD's opening :hat:

Dr.Sartorius

I prefer the Hound Dog opening. That song just fit in perfectly with the opening - and you knew right away this was the 50s.

Both songs established the time settings in a really fun way.

Bvance

I liked Anything Goes from TOD better.

But I was thinking perhaps the reason is because...the first time I ever heard the song Anything Goes it was from TOD. And the first time I heard Hound Dog was, well about 1,000,000 times before KOTCS. And not only that, when I think of Hound Dog I picture Elvis and when I think of Anything Goes I picture Willie Scott.

Just a thought.

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:
You're joking, right?

They're not even remotely contextually similar. We're talking diagetic vs. non-diagetic music.

RA is right about the context. You guys don't seem to be getting HOW each song was used in the opening. You can't even compare that.

Cagefighterkip

Dr.Sartorius said:
I prefer the Hound Dog opening. That song just fit in perfectly with the opening - and you knew right away this was the 50s.

Both songs established the time settings in a really fun way.

agreed,
very much agree sir

Bvance

Dr.Sartorius said:
you knew right away this was the 50s.

And then they would do something else to say, we're still in the 50's. Then 5 minutes later, they would do something else to say, we're still in the 50's. Then 5 minutes later, they would do something else to say, we're still in the 50's. Then 5 minutes later, they would do something else to say, we're still in the 50's. Then 5 minutes later, they would do something else to say, we're still in the 50's. Not to mention it says 1957 at the beginning.

After an hour I was like, FINE we're in the fifties! We don't need to incorporate every single 50 esque thing into this film. From campaign slogans, to malt shops, to jukeboxes, to Howdy Doody, and Everly Brothers etc etc etc. There is one thing to being accurate to the time period and then forcing things into the story that aren't necessary is another.

Enough about that, but still I think Anything Goes is a better song and a better scene. Not to say that Elvis and the racing teens isn't good too.

Racing teens which coincidentally said, just letting you know we are in the 50's in case you didn't catch that from the music.

AlivePoet

ResidentAlien said:
You're joking, right?

"Hound Dog" was incredibly appropriate. It sets the time era of the film but does much more. It essentially picks up where we left off in "Last Crusade", where in the final scene we learn that Indy was named after the dog. And of course it sets up the story for Mutt. Furthermore, the lyrics "never caught a rabbit" reflect Indy's adventuring in that he has little to show for his efforts. The opening was one of the strongest parts of the film and the use of "Hound Dog" worked on many levels.

Contrivance? Bull****, sir. :hat:

AlivePoet said:
"Hound Dog" was incredibly appropriate. It sets the time era of the film but does much more. It essentially picks up where we left off in "Last Crusade", where in the final scene we learn that Indy was named after the dog. And of course it sets up the story for Mutt. Furthermore, the lyrics "never caught a rabbit" reflect Indy's adventuring in that he has little to show for his efforts. The opening was one of the strongest parts of the film and the use of "Hound Dog" worked on many levels.

Sets the time? You mean like the vehicles, the poodle skirts, the drag racing, the aliens, the Russians and Area 51, the atomic bomb, the I Like Ike, all within the first 10 minutes? And then the diner fight 10 minutes later? Are you that dense that you need the tone and time set for you THAT OFTEN. It was a contrivance. None of the other films harped so heavily on the era in which it was set. Once Anything Goes is over, we're in India within 5 minutes and firmly divorced of all references to the era. KOCKS piles it on from second one with that annoyingly cheeky song and then the other cheeky references one after another.

Now maybe you're just so slow as to need to be clued in... that.. many... times...

But for the rest of us? It was pretty much beating a dead horse.

Bull****. I can say it too. Bull****.

Bvance

AlivePoet said:

While this is very true. I think that giving SS and GL credit that they purposely chose this song for that reason is giving them a little too much credit. However, I did think it quite coincidental that "You ain't nothing but a hound dog..." plays at the exact moment a prairie dog pops out of it's mound. So if anything, the song was more a tribute to that prairie dog than anyone else.

Bvance

ResidentAlien said:
Sets the time? You mean like the vehicles, the poodle skirts, the drag racing, the aliens, the Russians and Area 51, the atomic bomb, the I Like Ike, all within the first 10 minutes? And then the diner fight 10 minutes later? Are you that dense that you need the tone and time set for you THAT OFTEN. It was a contrivance. None of the other films harped so heavily on the era in which it was set. Once Anything Goes is over, we're in India within 5 minutes and firmly divorced of all references to the era. KOCKS piles it on from second one with that annoyingly cheeky song and then the other cheeky references one after another.

We must be on the same page. I agree with this man, reference my previous posts to this thread. The audience, well at least ResidentAlien and myself, don't need to be reminded over and over and over and over and over that we are in the 50's. We got the hint the first time!

Darth Vile

ResidentAlien said:
You're joking, right?

Contextually... "Anything Goes" was certainly a better application/realization of a piece of music? although I found it to be twee, childish and unfortunately it set the tone for how TOD would depart from Raiders.

Darth Vile said:
Contextually... "Anything Goes" was certainly a better application/realization of a piece of music? although I found it to be twee, childish and unfortunately it set the tone for how TOD would depart from Raiders.

You still don't get it.

Diagetic vs. Non-diagetic (also spelled diegetic). Go read some film theory.

Temple's opening features Diagetic sound. KOCKS has Non-diagetic sound. Very different.

Bvance

Darth Vile said:
Contextually... "Anything Goes"...unfortunately it set the tone for how TOD would depart from Raiders.

Yes, and I would agree also that Hound Dog did the same at the beginning of KOTCS to set a tone what would depart from all of the other Indiana Jones movies.

Darth Vile

ResidentAlien said:
You still don't get it.

Diagetic vs. Non-diagetic (also spelled diegetic). Go read some film theory.

Temple's opening features Diagetic sound. KOCKS has Non-diagetic sound. Very different.

Oh I get it fine... (although the TOD opening is not strictly either is it?) but what has that got to do with the fact that the opening musical number to TOD was ridiculous? I still find it hard to believe... an Indiana Jones movie had an opening musical number.

Indy~Annie

ResidentAlien said:
You're joking, right?

hey the hound Dog was great! what better song would you start it with?:rolleyes: but as like what good ol jonesissparrow there both a tie for me.:)

Darth Vile said:
Oh I get it fine... (although the TOD opening is not strictly either is it?) but what has that got to do with the fact that the opening musical number to TOD was ridiculous? I still find it hard to believe... an Indiana Jones movie had an opening musical number.

Diegesis... a narrative function. It served a narrative function. In KOCKS... sure... it served a narrative function... ad nauseum. And what's with a found score in an Indiana Jones movie? That's the most irritating part in my mind; it's a pop song for the sake of a pop song.

I would have used no song to open it; get out of this damned Tarantino contrivance where everything has to reference something. Where's originality gone?

The Man

I don't have much of a problem with Skull's opening. It's zippy enough, but there's no comparison when it comes to the choice of music. Hound Dog is, predictable or not, merely a song on a radio. Anything Goes is an all-out, full-blooded musical number.