Discuss Chapter 15 - Finding The Real Treasure (DVD chapter by chapter discussion)

James

Darth Vile said:
Well you know that I like the movie? but the flying saucer reveal (along with the CGI alien), is the only moment in the movie where I felt uncomfortable with what's on screen. I think it?s largely because, up until those moments, the alien thing is relatively subtle?

I understand...I'm just not sure how they could have done it in a subtle manner. The living alien, sure. Just not the saucer. In addition to providing the film with an iconic bookend, it also helps connect Akator with Roswell.

It's not as though the previous films stopped short of delivering their payoffs. We tend to take it for granted today, but the Ark was quite a finale back in the day. (Even Lucas wasn't sure audiences would accept it- and he was only worried about arc lightning.) The same could be said for TOD's supernatural elements or the Grail knight in LC.

I think the real issue is that flying saucers simply carry too much baggage with modern audiences.

Darth Vile

James said:
I understand...I'm just not sure how they could have done it in a subtle manner. The living alien, sure. Just not the saucer. In addition to providing the film with an iconic bookend, it also helps connect Akator with Roswell.

I'm not too sure how they could have achieved more subtlety other than showing less of it I suppose.

James said:
It's not as though the previous films stopped short of delivering their payoffs. We tend to take it for granted today, but the Ark was quite a finale back in the day. (Even Lucas wasn't sure audiences would accept it- and he was only worried about arc lightning.) The same could be said for TOD's supernatural elements or the Grail knight in LC.

The ending to 'Raiders' was sublime and indeed "quite a finale"... although they did stop short of showing us an old man with grey hair and beard sat atop a cloud. ;)

James said:
I think the real issue is that flying saucers simply carry too much baggage with modern audiences.

Totally agree. The feeling I get of the UFO being totally corny is, to a large extent, because of all the old sci-fi movies I've seen. I completely accept that it's my baggage... And it's not as if Lucas can pay homage to those 1950's movies with a UFO looking like a flying green cube... it has to be a flying saucer, as that's what it's referencing.

James

Darth Vile said:
The ending to 'Raiders' was sublime and indeed "quite a finale"... although they did stop short of showing us an old man with grey hair and beard sat atop a cloud.

And it's not as if Lucas can pay homage to those 1950's movies with a UFO looking like a flying green cube... it has to be a flying saucer, as that's what it's referencing.

However, they did show what the MacGuffin was truly capable of. After all, it's not like ROTLA had Indy lugging around the head of God. :D

The comic and novelization didn't include a flying saucer, instead representing the grand departure as some type of bubble or cube (respectively). This is why I'm not sure what they could have done differently, since neither of those ideas serve the story quite as well. The ufo opens the door to far more ideas, while providing a nice counterpoint to the mushroom cloud. But I do agree that it's dependent upon the viewer's opinion of old B movies.

wolfgang

ronicle said:
Believe me I shudder at that too!!! But it doesn't have to be like that, the daughter in the lost world was a really bad cast choice and she was written poorly.. if they gave Indy a daughter, it could have been cool if it was done right, she could have been the perfect mix of Indy and Marion without competing or trying to take over

Well, I don't shudder when I think about the Lost World because that is not the reason I watch the movie. But yea, Indy's daughter would've been the ****. As long as it wasn't Dakota Fanning. In fact I could even imagine Natalie Portman with Mutt's character and it would work very very well. If in the scene were Mutt is about to put the hat on, was a she instead of a he, that would've given it a different and rich chage to what people would expect. But I'll accept poor ole' Shia!

Mike00spy

Think of the wedding and when Indy grabs Mutt in a proud embrace.

Now compare that scene to when Indy is about the board the train, utterly disillusioned and alone.

It is a perfect ending.

WeAreGoingToDie

Why was Mutt licking his lips when his mom and dad were kissing? He mouths "wha..." then gives a little lip lick.
picture1tey.png

(I pushed back the chapter 16 discussion thread to Friday as this thread still has some life in it: UFO discussion, wedding scene before the hat)

nitzsche

Just a sign of his discomfort. he may still be spectacle of the whole thing... a tinge of embarrassment over Marion's aggressiveness.

James

nitzsche said:
Just a sign of his discomfort. he may still be spectacle of the whole thing... a tinge of embarrassment over Marion's aggressiveness.

It's similar to his discomfort when Indy and Marion begin to kiss in the stairwell chamber.

Goonie

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Why was Mutt licking his lips when his mom and dad were kissing? He mouths "wha..." then gives a little lip lick.

Maybe he was anxious to get to the nearest pharmacy to get a pack of cigarettes?;)

TheMutt92

Goonie said:
Maybe he was anxious to get to the nearest pharmacy to get a pack of cigarettes?;)

A bit off topic, but seeing as its for the Indy promotion... ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iypu5kGNEeQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iypu5kGNEeQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WilliamBoyd8

I think that having Indiana Jones marry and settle into domesticity
signaled that there would be no more Indiana Jones movies.

:)

Robyn

willieboydap said:

I didn't get that impression at all.. they left the doors wide open for another Indy

TheMutt92

willieboydap said:

But so did Indy riding off into the sunset w/ his father and pals... :p

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I just feel I have to comment on this chapter by saying....

You are not a TRUE MARION FAN if you don't like this chapter!*

I'm kidding.... please search for IJTFA to see what I'm making fun of if you weren't around here circa '07. God that really cheapens the joke!

Indy's brother

I'd like to back it up a bit, if I may. Anyone else notice Ford's delivery of the line, "Where did they go?". It seemed as if their disappearance severed the telepathic connection Indy had with the skull, and he was almost brought to tears by their departure. Anyone else notice this?

(kind of brings E.T. to mind)