Who is archaeologist ?

ElodieJones

Are in this forum real archaeologist ?
Or student in archaeology?

Now I make a formation of draftswoman in building.
And after, I would be archaeolgist.

westford

I was an archaeology student. I'd like to go back to it some day on a voluntary basis - but I couldn't make a career out of it.

ElodieJones

You are teh only one in this forum ???

Why you "was" ?
You stop your formation ???
Why "but I couldn't make a career out of it."

dameain

In third year of college, double major in Anthropology and History, with major emphasis in Archaeology.

westford

ElodieJones said:
You are teh only one in this forum ???

Why you "was" ?
You stop your formation ???
Why "but I couldn't make a career out of it."
I'm now studying multimedia - I want to be a web developer or designer. Archaeologists in Britain don't make much money. A lot of excavations use volunteer diggers, so it can be difficult to get paid work unless you have a lot of experience.

Snakewhip_Sable

I have an Advocational Archeologist Certificate. I don't really know what that means, but I've been on a few digs and I found some 3,000 year old bison bones of animals slaughtered and processed by native aboriginals. It was fun, but nothing I'd like to continue as a career.

Routledge

I'm thinking of taking up archaelogy. Not just because I'm a huge Indy fan, but I think it would generally be of interest to me.

Shovelbum

I'm a former archaeologist. I've done both academic work, and worked as a shovelbum... that's someone who does contract work - CRM (Cultural Resource Management) - which is required as part of the environmental impact study for all building projects that receive fedral funding. Most (but not all) states require it as well.

I've been on American digs from paleo-Indian to historic pioneer projects.
I've also done some work in Germany on Iron Age burial mounds.

DaFedora

Hi Elodie,

(came across this while looking for anything academic and archeology-related)

When I entered university 3 years ago, I was rrrealy having my doubts whether to head on for 'Archaeology & arts' or Ancient History. I chose the last, but I found my 2 years of knowledge of Latin was actually a gap too wide to go commence a serious study of 'real' historical sources (Herodotus, Plutarchus, Thucidydes, Plautus, Xenophon ...) without lacking proper translation skills.

Anyway, I flunked that year for whatever reason (aimed too high I guess, also the mental adaptation to more intense study levels) - but among the scarse subjects I did pass was "Archeology of the ancient Greek World" :D (which came to me as genuine moral medicine to cope with my deep-felt disullusionment)- which was quite a challenge at the time: about 600 lengty pages of reading material plus an almost equal ammount of needy didactic illustrations for you can't study that without having a good historical conscience and a photographic memory ...

I shock myself not having taken up the trouble to look for the sister-subjects syllabi of'Roman archeology and that of the Middle East just for autodidact purposes... better correct that shortcoming next academic year, when I begin my 3rd bachelor in Modern history...

Also, (historical) anthropology and museology are on my main list as currular goals, along with some languages as ancient & modern Greek (which I had to take the first year - was realy intense but I just love the language), Hebrew/Jiddish... (partly 'cause I am somewhat jealous of people who speak more than 5 languages... but it's not to show off with, really)

I'm more like a Marcus Brody, in a melancholical / contemplative sence but without the off-world goofyness (just saying this on time) ... so I'm more likely to end up as a museum staff member in charge of acquisition or registration or (even better !) exhibition conceptual designer or historical advisor... Don't think I'd survive in a classroom filled with nowadays pupils with decreasing afinity for heritage and the past ... though I often get the comment I'm good at telling the story...

I don't think I'll prefer anything else above that ... since the (paleo)archeological world of experts is quite an exclusive one where financial status and prestige kinda makes it impossible for any college-grad student to dig in just like that in some Eastern-Mediterranean, South-American, North-African or Middle-Eastern excavation project... though if they need a researcher at any given site, I would be honoured to help...

IndyBuff

I have certainly considered looking into archaeology as a career or hobby. I espeically enjoy history and wouldn't mind going to graduate school after college to pursue a master's or Ph.D on the subject. Archaeology is a neat career but I'm not sure that it's right for me. I like it as a hobby but as a career I don't know whether or not I'd really enjoy it. I would like to go on a dig someday and see for myself what it's really like and see if it's something I would enjoy (although that chance isn't too likely here in Nashville.) ;)

I enjoy reading and studying about archaeology but I think history and literature are more in my department. I appreciate the insights that others have given here and I'm curious what other people have to say on this subject. :)

San Holo

I was an Anthropology major with Archeology as my minor. There is not alot of $$$$ to be made in that feild, unless you get a master's degree. Then you can be a museum curator. That would be sweeet. ;)

Heliograph

temple of john said:
I actually went up to a girl in a bar once and said "I'm an Archeologist, and I'm diggin' you"

And she said, "Well, okay, just so long as you don't live at home with your mummy."

Brown Fedora

ElodieJones said:
Are in this forum real archaeologist ?
Or student in archaeology?

Now I make a formation of draftswoman in building.
And after, I would be archaeolgist.

I'm an archaeologist. I specialize in ancient cults and mystery religions. Most recent stuff has been about Mithra/Mithras (choose your spelling here). Recently began work on my PHD.

-Fed-

Tennessee R

As most of the longer-time (2 years or more) people at the Raven here know,

I work with Wyatt Archaeological Research on Biblical Archaeology. I've been to Israel 5 times on archaeological excavations, the last about two months ago, in Jerusalem in previous excavations, (Tight caves) documenting the work of Ron Wyatt and documenting Roman remains and artifacts.

Brown Fedora. How about Tammuz? Sol Invictus? What day and month is Sol Invictus-Mithra's birthday?
It might be interesting to talk with you.