Back to the Future

Michael24

I read about the framing issues the week the set came out, so I got my corrected versions immediately, probably within the first month of the release.

However, the set was reissued with the corrected versions, so buying the set in a store now will get you the right versions.

No Ticket

Moedred said:
You're all aware of the framing fiasco with discs 2 and 3, right?
http://www.angelfire.com/film/bttf2/
I just called the hotline and arranged to get the V2's.
(As a former projectionist, I believe people need act.)

Thanks for pointing out that link. I actually had never heard of the V2's before. I didn't even realize the error and I've had my box set of the BTTF trilogy for years! I think I'm going to have to try and get those V2 discs now!!

... it's a shame that even happened at all to such a great set of movies.

Jones Junkie

I've never really "gotten into" these movies, even the first one, which is the only one I can say I like. When I do occasionally pop one in the player, I'm there for Christopher Lloyd only... but I gotta give part 3 some credit; that one scene taught me how to do the moonwalk.

kongisking

Part II. I love all the paradox-bits about them being in the exact same positions they were in the first film but from different perspectives, and having to not collide with their past (future) selves. Clever, ingenious editing, and pure, goofy fun. The BTTF trilogy is simply the best (to hell with Ghostbusters, although that is another hilarious sci-fi comedy).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/back_to_the_future_original_draft.html
Did Lucas pay Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale anything to call these ideas his own?
The Time Machine and lead-lined refrigerator-time chamber are assembled in the bed of the Army truck, as well as the Power Converter and a motorcycle with a sidecar.
-----
A TOWER WITH AN ATOMIC BOMB on it. This is it---Ground Zero. Yardage markers are posted at 200 yard intervals from the tower, up to 1600 yards, then a mile marker.
-----
In the dining room, more MANNEQUINS are seated at the table, which is set with full place settings. Marty wanders through the house, chuckling at the idiocy of it all.
-----
Marty turns on the TV. Snow. He switches channels and finally tunes in a picture---the ?Howdy Doody? Show. Marty watches Clarabell dancing around and shakes his head.
I aso wonder if using Coca-Cola as fuel inspired the root beer gag in Lucasarts' "Monkey Island" game...

The Man

I've never been as fond of Part III as much as I want to be, but overall it's a terrific trilogy, with one of the smartest, most inventive, literal sequels you'll ever see...

Jonesy9906753

i wonder what it would've been like if they made IV in the very late ninties,it would've been great to see,Christopher Lloyd and MJF back again,they're cool guys and great great actors,Micheal doesn't deserve whats happening to him with parkinson's diesease,so sad to watch such a guy have to live with it,along with Muhammad Ali
:(

muttjones

Back to the Future - The Epic?

I just finished watching the Back to the Future trilogy again and I thought of an idea. As you may well know each BttF movie begins right at the end of the one before it (except for BttF I of course). So I am thinking of editing them all together so you are able to watch them one after the other but as if they were one extra long movie.
My only problem is cutting out the opening credits from BttF II and BttF III. The film title is easy to take out but it will be very hard to take out the other credits as they are over footage that is important (pretty sure this only matters with the last film as the opening credits in the second film are superimposed over footage that is unimportant). If worst comes to worst and it is impossible to edit out the opening credits with the footage then I will just have to see if the film can start from the point after the credits.

Anyway, does this sound like a cool idea? Has it already been done? Do you have any suggestions of how to take out the opening credits but not the footage underneath it?

cheers :D

I was also thinking of doing the epic differently. My friend has a copy of The Godfather - The Epic. Illegally someone sold copies of his edited version of The Godfather Part 1 and Part 2. The difference was that this person had edited the footage so that it was in chronological order.
I think doing BttF this way could be really interesting seeing as the film is about time. the plot may not work so well though.

Thoughts?

cheers :D

The Man

You could cut from Doc Brown fainting to he and Marty reading the letter. When do the opening credits end in Part III - just before Howdy Doody Time starts on the T.V?

muttjones

The Man said:
You could cut from Doc Brown fainting to he and Marty reading the letter. When do the opening credits end in Part III - just before Howdy Doody Time starts on the T.V?

they start as he wakes up at howdy doody time. i'm not sure whether the credits still roll after that (i'll check) but i think from him fainting to him waking up could be a nice cross fade moment.

Last edited:

The Man

muttjones said:
they start as he wakes up at howdy doody time. i'm not sure whether the credits still roll after that (i'll check) but i think from him fainting to him waking up could be a nice cross fade moment.

Here's a thought: instead of a cross-fade, you could hear them beginning to read the letter as Marty tries to revive Doc and then just cut to it. You'd have to fiddle with the music and audio at the end of Part II, though...

muttjones

The Man said:
Here's a thought: instead of a cross-fade, you could hear them beginning to read the letter as Marty tries to revive Doc and then just cut to it. You'd have to fiddle with the music and audio at the end of Part II, though...

But if you cut it from when they read the letter then it doesn't resolve doc's fainting. I'm also trying to edit out the least amount of the films as possible. Only the credits which are not needed are allowed to be edited. Also the cross fade makes an easy edit as the camera pull back from marty reviving doc to show the to be concluded title. By cross fading before this I skip the theme music as it pulls out giving a much nicer, cleaner cut.

I checked the start of part II as well and credits are over the top of flying through the clouds. at the end of the last credit the music dies down giving just about a second of clouds before it pans down to the flying cars on the sky highway. I only have the dvds and no way of ripping them so i have to figure out a way of getting copies of all three films so i can put them into my editing program.

00Kevin

Indyfan
seeing this thread inspired me to youtube the origonal universal studios ride footage! great memories. did you guys know the ride got shut down 3 years ago? tragic, without ET and BTTF i'm afraid universal studios will never be the same to me as the first magical experience

metalinvader said:
I can't believe I never noticed this before..lol

http://www.thatvideosite.com/video/creepy_twist_at_the_end_of_back_to_the_future_3_wait_for_it

What is Verne trying to tell us?!

oh god, i will never be able to watch that scene without looking at that again

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoo

indyclonejr said:
I found out at hollywood palms theater http://www.hollywoodpalmscinema.com...-lea-thompson-claudia-wells-and-james-tolkan/

and hollywood blvd. http://www.atriptothemovies.com/ind...35&category=Film Festivals and Special Events

that they are playing back to the future on Feb 26 & 28 hollywood blvd.
and Feb 27 hollywood palms with hosts Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thomson, Cludia Wells, & James Tolkan in il, and I'm going to see it on the 27th because thats my birthday. :D
Hi, indyclonejr. If you get a chance to talk to Claudia Wells, could you (or your dad) please mention to her the short-lived "Herbie, The Love Bug" TV series from 1982. She played the daughter of Dean Jones' love interest in all 5 episodes. The series was a failure but would love to hear what she has to say about it (+ being associated with 2 iconic, film cars).