Shia says Indy 5 is 'cracked'

James

Darth Vile said:
I'd also be wary of anyone, or any institution, whose opinion flutters and turns in the breeze.

To be fair, the positive reviews all stemmed from the older staff members that had grown up with the series. For example, "Harry", "Moriarty", "Quint", and "Massawyrm". (The latter actually did a pretty good job of echoing my own feelings.)

I'm not that familiar with "Beaks", but I don't remember him reviewing KOTCS. He seems to be parroting the Talkbackers here- a section that has generally been doom and gloom towards Indy 4 for years. It's interesting that while they already expect Indy 5 to be a complete disaster, those two topics quickly shot to the top of the "most active threads" list. So for all the claims of "I will never!", they clearly don't have any problem devoting their spare time to it.

I think for the average fanboy, the experience of discussing a movie long surpassed the actual watching of it. This is why records fall each summer, even as younger audiences claim to hate all the latest blockbusters. This (relatively shallow) decade began with Stephen Sommers' The Mummy and will effectively end with his own G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. In between, only a handful of blockbusters are still respected online- generally the ones that are considered "dark".

Moriarty writes for some other site now, and recently did an article on The Phantom Menace that got some attention. It was less about the film itself, and more of a look at how cynical internet fandom has become over the last ten years. I remember telling a friend a few years ago, "If they try to make Indy 4 just like the others, it'll probably take a beating online." This just isn't the same climate I saw the original films in, and like Moriarty, I'm not even sure it's the same one in which I watched Episode I.

The Man

WeAreGoingToDie said:
The moment AICN fell back on masturbation analogies for film reviews, they lost all credibility.

Don't forget the frequent misspellings. ON THE MAINPAGE.

AndyLGR

I'd love there to be an Indy 5, if only to banish the memory of KTOCS with a return to form and make it a great way to end the series of Indy films.

Hanselation

Lance Quazar said:
But there really aren't that many "magical objects" in the public consciousness at all. Can you think of any? Excalibur, maybe. What else...? Something that people go into the movie knowing about? Good luck with that.

Let's face it, the average movie goer didn't know jack about the Ark of the Covenant going into "Raiders." It was beautifully explained in the context of the film.

And the vast majority of people probably went into "Crusade" knowing the Grail primarily from Monty Python.

I don't think that familiarity with/foreknowledge of the macguffin is a requirement for a good Indy movie.

Hell, I don't even think a good macguffin is really a requirement for a good Indy movie, since "Temple of Doom" had an utterly obscure, partially fabricated and poorly explained macguffin and yet the movie was still awesome. I really don't think the macguffin has much to do with the success of a movie, there are so many more important factors.

I agree complete to that. When I saw Indiana Jones in the 80th as a teenager, the Indiana Jones movies showed me the backgrounds of the "Ark", the "Shankara Stones" and the "Grail".
The ark and the grail, I only knew from going to church on sunday - nearly unspectular.After seeing the movies, my interest about the items grows and it was nice to understand, how the storywriters made a adventure story out of this stuff. Storys out of the bible or other religions, composed with some history truth, some known places and a little ;) sense of fantasy and fiction.
Dan Brown did the same with his books.

Hanselation

Silvor said:
According to Frank Marshall´s twitter things aren´t any further along than they´ve always been on Indy 5 it seems.
"The story for Indy5 is progressing. It is still in the research phase."
He says on his twitter.
I seem to recall it´s been in the research fase ever since Indy 4 came out, so this is a little disheartening.

I understand that more in this way:
Steven Spielberg told Shia, that they have a basic plot for the story.That means "cracked a story".
Now they are in the research mode for combining this plot with real places, historical relationships and some fantasy, to get a story.
After that, they have to write a screenplay.
So they are now exactly in the timeframe I expected after it was told, they will do another Indiana Jones movie.
Raiders `81 -Temple of Doom `84 = 3 Years.
So I expect Indiana Jones 5 in 2011. Harrison will be around 69 in the filming phase if everything will run in scheduled time.
I'll open my ears, eyes and mind - seeing that there is a bigger probability of making Indy 5 in the next two years than it was in 2006 for Indiana Jones 4.
It's all on the normal way of film process.
2011 - Indiana Jones 5
Thumbs up! (y)

Last edited:

Crack that whip

Goonie said:
What sucks now is we'll have to buy revised editions of:
  • The Complete Making of Indiana Jones
  • Indiana Jones The Ultimate Guide
  • The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones
;)

Hey, that wouldn't suck; that'd be an opportunity. Frankly, all three publications really need revising, and having a whole new movie to add to each of them would bolster the chances of ever getting revised editions.

The Complete Making of Indiana Jones is wonderful, but actually isn't quite complete; since it came out essentially concurrently with the fourth movie, it just touches on the making-of aspects from late in the production and doesn't deal at all with the release and reception of the movie the way it does the first three, and it also almost totally ignores The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones, and it really should cover the show along with the movies.

The other two books apparently both have lots of errors and inconsistencies, and really could use a lot of tweaking if they're to serve as definitive references.

Indy's brother

May this be the last time I reference this thread...

but I hope this is the artifact for Indy 5. I also really hope that Spielberg's and Lucas' lackeys are using this forum as an aid for their research--considering how much research members of The Raven have done on this topic (and the many others pertaining to Indy). We've collectively done soooo much of thier work for them. All they have to do is talk to Sam Earch.

Johnny Nys

Off topic, but Frank Marshal's twitter, he's following cyclists. Didn't know he was interested. Was surprised to see Johan Bruyneel in his list.

Goonie

Crack that whip said:
Hey, that wouldn't suck; that'd be an opportunity. Frankly, all three publications really need revising, and having a whole new movie to add to each of them would bolster the chances of ever getting revised editions.

I know it wouldn't suck. That's why I used the winking smiley: ;) I'll gladly add to my Indiana Jones library.

Darth Vile

James said:
To be fair, the positive reviews all stemmed from the older staff members that had grown up with the series. For example, "Harry", "Moriarty", "Quint", and "Massawyrm". (The latter actually did a pretty good job of echoing my own feelings.)

I can't really comment other than, historically, I've seen some good movies pulled apart on AICN, and some very poor movies reviewed with grace and favor. At best, they can be populist and somewhat revisionist? and at worst, utterly cynical, manipulative and self-aggrandizing.

James said:
I think for the average fanboy, the experience of discussing a movie long surpassed the actual watching of it. This is why records fall each summer, even as younger audiences claim to hate all the latest blockbusters. This (relatively shallow) decade began with Stephen Sommers' The Mummy and will effectively end with his own G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. In between, only a handful of blockbusters are still respected online- generally the ones that are considered "dark".

Moriarty writes for some other site now, and recently did an article on The Phantom Menace that got some attention. It was less about the film itself, and more of a look at how cynical internet fandom has become over the last ten years. I remember telling a friend a few years ago, "If they try to make Indy 4 just like the others, it'll probably take a beating online." This just isn't the same climate I saw the original films in, and like Moriarty, I'm not even sure it's the same one in which I watched Episode I.

I know exactly what you mean. I was discussing with my partner only this evening (with some degree of tongue in cheek), the desire to pen an academic paper on this very topic.

Goonie

Hanselation said:
2011 - Indiana Jones 5
Thumbs up! (y)

I could see it being released in 2011 or 2012, but no later. It would be interesting if it were released in the same year as the next 007 and Batman movies. LC and KotCS were both released in the same year as Batman and James Bond.(and, if you count it, Star Trek - the new Trek was supposed to be released in '08).

Here's the blurb about Indy V on IGN:
http://movies.ign.com/articles/995/995224p1.html

The next bunch of years will be great for movies!

James

Darth Vile said:
I can't really comment other than, historically, I've seen some good movies pulled apart on AICN, and some very poor movies reviewed with grace and favor. At best, they can be populist and somewhat revisionist? and at worst, utterly cynical, manipulative and self-aggrandizing.

Oh, I do agree with the general sentiment that they've gone downhill over the years. Of course, the same could probably be said of fanboy sites in general. What once seemed like an innovative way for fans to communicate with Hollywood has since become little more than a punchline.

No doubt this is primarily due to the fact that, as noted, Hollywood realizes that fanboys will support just about anything. (If only to avoid being left out when it comes time to ridicule the film online.)

Crack that whip

Indy's brother said:
I also really hope that Spielberg's and Lucas' lackeys are using this forum as an aid for their research--considering how much research members of The Raven have done on this topic (and the many others pertaining to Indy). We've collectively done soooo much of thier work for them. All they have to do is talk to Sam Earch.

Oh, totally. If only the people in charge of licensed publications (novels, comics, reference books, etc.) would pay more attention to our discussions of chronology, if nothing else...

I started writing this post with the idea of quoting a dozen of the previous comments, but then I realized it would have been something of the same proportions of the twelve labours of Hercules, so I simply changed my mind. :hat:

Anyway, trying to condense the important parts of what I just wanted to say, I really think that this supposed fifth film won't get made. Sure, I'd love to be proven wrong, but sincerely...

When I heard Shia's statements, I was pretty excited. Let's say greatly excited. Then came the update by Frank Marshall, he said that the story is still in the "research phase", and I suddenly opened my eyes. More than a year has passed already, and still Lucas hasn't come up with a good idea. "Still in the research phase"... uhm, to me that's just a sort of confirmation to the fact they won't do it. It was now or never, after all.

Coming to think of it, the only positive aspect of this hypothetical pre-production period stands in the fact that this time, fingers crossed, if they ever manage to put their hands on a story, the big three will not have to wait for years until they forcedly agree on a non-sense/out-of-place idiocy like science fiction.
Maybe, now that Lucas has been satisfied with that useless b-movie that "Kingdom" was, he will no more insist on elements that literally destroy the feeling of an old school classy adventure film.
(NOTE: I say this as a Lucas supporter, I am not a detractor of him, and I never will be. But then, one also has to actually realize that this time, in the specific case of "Indy 4", some of the main reasons it came out that horrible were directly attributable to him.)

And now, since many of you have already expressed their ideas and wishes, let's add mine to the cart:

Fifth film set a couple years PRIOR to "Kingdom", Indy and Mac together on a quest for the Garden of Eden. (Violet Indy, I'm with you totally!! :cool: )
Yeah, I said it. Bring back the old freaking ADVENTURE vibe, and let's close this saga on a high note, once and for all!!!

AlivePoet

The Stranger said:
Fifth film set a couple years PRIOR to "Kingdom", Indy and Mac together on a quest for the Garden of Eden. (Violet Indy, I'm with you totally!! :cool: )
Yeah, I said it. Bring back the old freaking ADVENTURE vibe, and let's close this saga on a high note, once and for all!!!

It's a good idea, but not going to happen. I can't see the filmmakers wanting to end the series with a prequel. And Mutt's going to be heavily featured, whether we like it or not. But good idea.