Mask of Evil (İstanbul)

Lando

I like this episode because, its the only hollywood made movie who is about General Mustafa Kemal. He is the founder of modern westernised, democracitc Turkish Republic from the ashes of Ottoman Empire. So even for once i would have chance to see our national hero and one of my favourite hero in big screen Indy in same scene. Also the script and events in Turkey on those years objectively well developed there is no prejudice about eastern world and almost no manipulation about what happened. Standford Shaw who was instructor of Political science and histor in a university in Turkey is the consultant of Ottoman Empire in this episode. and i m graduated from same university. When i heard about him 1-2 years ago i sent him an e-mail and ask to meet him to chat about Indy , ottoman empire, Lucas film etc. He responded so gently. But i ve never find any time to meet him. and i hear he died last year because of heart attack. too bad :(

Also in this episode you can İstanbul's mystic architecture like blue mosque which is looking really similar to Nabboo palace in star wars :cool:

Remy

Hey, thanks for the info! I'm going to have to watch the episode again. Young Indy definitely went to some interesting places that most of us would never see otherwise.

tupogirl

Welcome! I am very drawn to Turkey and Istanbul. I think it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I love the art and the architecture.

I will have to rewatch it as well.

tupogirl

Lando said:
in 2 months i ll add my own trips to Gallipoli and İstanbul to Globe-trotting section

Very cool! I have not been to that section yet, but I keep meaning to. I haven't left my country:p.

Dr. Mulbray

I was in Istanbul few years ago, and one of my favorites moments of that trip was taking tea at Pera Palace and visiting the room of Mustafa Kemal later. What a moment!

Stoo

Lando said:
Also in this episode you can İstanbul's mystic architecture like blue mosque
My friend was with me when I bought Volume 3 and when looking at the box he said,
"Hey, that's the Blue Mosque in Istanbul." (He was never into the show.)

Great episode and one of the elements I really like is that there are no humourous moments.
It is a very serious story which adds to the atmosphere.

Funny thing is, someone I know from elementary school just contacted me on Facebook.
She moved to Istanbul 20 years and has invited me to come visit. What better way to see
a foreign city than with a local as a guide? I think I'm going to do it!

tupogirl

Stoo said:
My friend was with me when I bought Volume 3 and when looking at the box he said,
"Hey, that's the Blue Mosque in Istanbul." (He was never into the show.)

Great episode and one of the elements I really like is that there are no humourous moments.
It is a very serious story which adds to the atmosphere.

Funny thing is, someone I know from elementary school just contacted me on Facebook.
She moved to Istanbul 20 years and has invited me to come visit. What better way to see
a foreign city than with a local as a guide? I think I'm going to do it!

Stoo, wow! That is so cool! How many countries have you been to?

Stoo

tupogirl said:
Stoo, wow! That is so cool! How many countries have you been to?
Umm...12 so far...and, yes, it is pretty cool!:D
Lando said:
its really beautful city, though you need a guidence for sure
Would you be able to tell me/us some the names of the sites/places that are featured in the episode?
It's fun playing spot-the-Young-Indy-location in the different cities I've been visiting. Always interesting
to see where parts of the show were filmed (not to mention the REAL history that goes with them)!

Any info would be much appreciated!:)

tupogirl

Stoo, you're like a real Indy;). I've seen quite a few States at least, and been on both coasts. I definitely have some wanderlust...

Lando

Stoo said:
Umm...12 so far...and, yes, it is pretty cool!:D
Would you be able to tell me/us some the names of the sites/places that are featured in the episode?
It's fun playing spot-the-Young-Indy-location in the different cities I've been visiting. Always interesting
to see where parts of the show were filmed (not to mention the REAL history that goes with them)!

Any info would be much appreciated!:)

Ok first of all Blue Mosque also known as Sultan Ahmet mosque is one the populer touristic place in İstanbul and there is Ayasofya mosque right next to blue mosquie which was initially a church but changed into intresting place like both mosque and church....

Another place in movie was Pera Palace one of the oldiest hotel in istanbul founded in 1892

And streets are mostly cihangir, backside of Beyoğlu and İstiklal street. If you gonna visit İstanbul I suggest you to go to Beyoğlu at day time. Cause there lots of drunks hanging around at nights. But it will do good on day time. Nice coffes and like mixture of both ancient and modern architeture. Especially in ottoman era those streets are influenced by french. TodayLots of french based high schools are still there like Des Lycee Galatasaray.ıts was usually where foreign people live in istanbul. So that was perfect place to shoot that story in there. In last days of ottoman empire, French language as diplomacy language was very important. Most of the educated Turks could speak french even if they did not know english well.

İstanbul has two coasts with bridges. European coast and Asian coast. There 2 big bridges ( looking similar to golden gate) and those bridges not only combine coasts of istanbul but also combines the europe and asia. So i do suggest to go to the sea sights on both European coast and Asian coast. You can see the most beautyful bhosphorus sight on earth. Both day time or night-time. You can go to fish restourant both you can have great dinner and great sight but its pretty expensive i must say.

You should visit Dolmabahçe Palace which is the palace of ottoman sultans for hunderds of years. Here are the pics of dolmabahçe :

http://www.kenthaber.com/Resimler/2006/08/17/00065175.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/dosseman/dolmabahce

And numerous place not only ottomans empire ancient architecture but also previous civilazitons like Bizanze or earlier anatolian civilaztions architetures are still remaining like Galata Tower made by Genoa Colonies in 1384.

http://www.healthtourism.com.tr/resimler/turizm/23.jpg

i do suggest to İstanbul Modern Art exhibition center. here is the web site :

http://www.istanbulmodern.org/

By the way i still did not watch the documentary about Halide Edip in young indiana jones dvd set. But Halide was the Jeanne Darc of Turks. But most of the historians people critisize her as being American occupation supporter. During those days there was an idea of being mandate of USA for the salvation of Turks and she was defending it. That was the biggest difference between General Kemal's ideas. Because He has a idea of fully independent Turkey. In later years, Halide involved in Kemal's ideas and was being a spy and leader of agency and media for Turkish independence war. (1919-1923)

anyway as i sad before , if you gonna go to istanbul you really need a guidence whether your friend who lives there, or you dont know anyone here you should come with travel agencies i m sure they tour guide guys to asist where and how to go. Otherwise its really complicated city, if you go alone you would probably lost abd go to suburbs places :D But with a guidence will do fine.

Last edited:

Stoo

Lando,

Thank you so much for all of this! I wasn't expecting so much information but this is GREAT and will be really helpful if I go.
You've really done me a big favour. (The beauty of the internet.) I must print this out on paper and hit the history books!

Even though it might be near impossible, the street locations are the ones I want to find the most.
(Especially that sloping street where the document carrier gets murdered right in front of Indy.)
I'm also interested in the Crimean War so will be scouting out for anything in relation to that (ex. Scutari).
Lando said:
I like this episode because, its the only hollywood made movie who is about General Mustafa Kemal. He is the founder of modern westernised, democracitc Turkish Republic from the ashes of Ottoman Empire. So even for once i would have chance to see our national hero and one of my favourite hero in big screen Indy in same scene. Also the script and events in Turkey on those years objectively well developed there is no prejudice about eastern world and almost no manipulation about what happened. Standford Shaw who was instructor of Political science and histor in a university in Turkey is the consultant of Ottoman Empire in this episode. and i m graduated from same university. When i heard about him 1-2 years ago i sent him an e-mail and ask to meet him to chat about Indy , ottoman empire, Lucas film etc. He responded so gently. But i ve never find any time to meet him. and i hear he died last year because of heart attack. too bad
Neat story but frustrating all the same. Too bad you never got the chance to speak with him.:(
I know how you feel about having one of your real-life heroes being included the Young Indy series.
Plenty of people whom I admire are in the show and it was always a thrill seeing them "come to life".
It's also nice to hear, from your "insider's perspective", that the subject matter of this episode was
handled fairly.
tupogirl said:
Stoo, you're like a real Indy;). I've seen quite a few States at least, and been on both coasts. I definitely have some wanderlust...
Ha ha! I try.:whip: Seriously though, I am literally walking in Indy's footsteps. (Yes, I know he's a fictional character.)
Save your pennies and I'll see you in Istanbul!:cool:

tupogirl

Ha ha! I try. Seriously though, I am literally walking in Indy's footsteps. (Yes, I know he's a fictional character.)
Save your pennies and I'll see you in Istanbul!

So you are literally just going to places he went or you just happened to go there?

The one place that I feel is NECESSARY for me to get to before I die is Ireland. My grandmother was born there and my grandfather's pre American Revolution family was from there. As I researched, I found out that they were both from the same area (Armagh). So I must go to Armagh, see Castle Dunluce's ruins (it was ours once, back in the 1500's!), walk along the Giant's Causeway, lay in a field and perhaps, get my tush down to Dublin and see what Indy saw.

Then if I am still around and still have money, I really want to do all of the Balkan countries and a long tour of Russia/Siberia. If I only had a short time, then I would do Poland and Krasnoyarsk Krai (Siberia) to explore the area of the Tunguska Event.

And Budapest.

Yeah, I love Istanbul one of my favourite cities, you can really feel the clash between East and West, Europe and Asia, which, though it sounds cliched is strangely true, sitting in a rooftop cafe listening to the call of prayer echoing its way across the bosphorous, magical. Love it, between that and Damascus I think, love those cities, Cairos up in my top three two. But yeah, Istanbul. Everybodies gotta go there.

Stoo

tupogirl said:
So you are literally just going to places he went or you just happened to go there?
It's all coincidental. Indy went to almost all the major cities of Europe so when travelling to these places,
it's very natural to think of him on his different adventures!:)

tupogirl said:
And Budapest.
You might want to wait another 5-10 years until they get up to speed. Right now, it's kind of bleak. (Sorry to any Hungarians out there)
Biggest culture shock I've felt to date. However, there is the House of Terror museum which focuses on the Nazi & Soviet occupation.
It was built a few years ago, and is hands-down the most incredible, interactive, multimedia musuem I've ever been to. Two big thumbs up!(y)
Plus, Budapest has a really old, funky, wooden-carriage subway system that is too wild to behold. You really get the idea that you're somewhere else.
("This doesn't look like Kansas, Toto.")

Jeremiah Jones said:
Yeah, I love Istanbul one of my favourite cities, you can really feel the clash between East and West, Europe and Asia, which, though it sounds cliched is strangely true, sitting in a rooftop cafe listening to the call of prayer echoing its way across the bosphorous, magical. Love it, between that and Damascus I think, love those cities, Cairos up in my top three two. But yeah, Istanbul. Everybodies gotta go there.
Hey Jeremiah. When did you go? Any sites to suggest? I would really like to see the domed rooftops where Kevork Malikyan (Kazim from "Crusade")
gets knocked off. (Incidentally, there was a Raven member here some time ago who was actually Mr. Malikyan's lawyer!)

Just rewatched the episode. How great is it? VERY great. It has the best lighting in the whole "Chronicles" series.
Every shot has atmosphere and mood. The music, the lighting, the characters, the dialogue...classic Young Indy!(y)
(Our hero is in Istanbul in "Genesis Deluge" as well...)