The Dark Knight Rises

YouNeverKnow

I am loving the hell out of this. Including Sarah Essen and Julie Madison would be just way to awesome. How 'bout some Silver St. Cloud as well?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
It's Hugo Strange.

Well, from your lips to God's ears. We have good reason to hope.

Also, I suppose that the potential inclusion of Essen gives further credence to the rumor of Tom Hardy as Harvey Bullock, what with the focus on Gordon that Essen implies.

DocWhiskey

Can a brotha get some Black Mask up in dis here movie?

I'd really like him to appear. I read he was in an early draft of The Dark Knight, so that tells me Nolan and company are at least familiar with the character. They could really play up the dual lives that Roman and Bruce share.

Indy Scout 117

y'know, there is one thing that happened in both movies that i think would be kinda cool to see in The Dark Knight Rises: remember in both movies when Batman fights the thugs with guns, and he takes the arm of one guy with a pistol and shoots the other thug in the foot? in Batman Begins, it was at the same scene when Batman gives Crane "A taste of his own medicine", and in The Dark Knight, it was when Batman captures Lau in his office building. remember what im talking about??

YouNeverKnow

Yes Clayface had more humble origins. I personally like the sci-fi/horror aspect of the "current" Clayface, but I accept and actually really enjoy the real-world limitations of Nolan's universe, so it'll be interesting to see if Clayface actually shows up.

Montana Smith

YouNeverKnow said:
Yes Clayface had more humble origins. I personally like the sci-fi/horror aspect of the "current" Clayface, but I accept and actually really enjoy the real-world limitations of Nolan's universe, so it'll be interesting to see if Clayface actually shows up.

I've never really been inspired by Clayface. Since the animated series, I can't help thinking of him as a Scooby-Doo mud monster.

Killer Croc's another matter, but I don't know how Nolan would incorporate him without making him too grotesquely deformed. There's a fine line between comic-book deformity and the real-world deformity that Nolan would probably go for.

Indy Scout 117

im bummed that the Riddler wont be in it :( i think it should be the Penguin; the reason why im not agreeing to the villains like Clayface and Killer Croc is that in the Nolanverse he uses the villains that arent like super powered criminals. he mainly does the villains that are more human and he turns them into criminal masterminds and serial killers. dont get me wrong, i think Clayface would be cool, but it just seems more....Nolan-like to use the Penguin. y'know what i mean?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy Scout 117 said:
im bummed that the Riddler wont be in it :( i think it should be the Penguin; the reason why im not agreeing to the villains like Clayface and Killer Croc is that in the Nolanverse he uses the villains that arent like super powered criminals. he mainly does the villains that are more human and he turns them into criminal masterminds and serial killers. dont get me wrong, i think Clayface would be cool, but it just seems more....Nolan-like to use the Penguin. y'know what i mean?

It certainly does seem more Nolan-like to use the Penguin, but since we've already received word from him that the Penguin will not be used in the film, it's reasonable to expect another of the mob-oriented villains to appear. Black Mask would make a lot of sense.

Of course, Clayface's primary schtick would seem to be the disguise piece, which certainly has certain thematic resonances that I could see the Nolans grabbing hold of. But then: is a master of disguise the most interesting way of dealing with Bruce Wayne's shifting identities? Maybe not.

As for Killer Croc - there could be ways to make him realistic enough, but there's just nothing much there to merit his inclusion. He's bestial, and there's that facet of Batman's decline (the cell phone technique), but it's not the primary narrative, as I can tell.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
As for Killer Croc - there could be ways to make him realistic enough, but there's just nothing much there to merit his inclusion. He's bestial, and there's that facet of Batman's decline (the cell phone technique), but it's not the primary narrative, as I can tell.

I'd go for two villains: the brains and the brawn. For the brawn I'd really like to see Bane, and then we could really watch the decline of Batman develop in future movies, regardless of who directs them.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
I'd go for two villains: the brains and the brawn. For the brawn I'd really like to see Bane, and then we could really watch the decline of Batman develop in future movies, regardless of who directs them.

But isn't he the brain too, canonically?

Although, I agree that the idea of a progressive decline is an exciting one. However, is the "Bane breaks Batman's back" really the best way to show his low point? I feel like Batman being forced to kill would be the strongest way to do that, in the philosophically-bent world of foils and trick scenarios that we've been presented with so far.

Montana Smith

But isn't he the brain too, canonically?

I don't see him as the mastermind, but more as the intelligent hired muscle.

Although, I agree that the idea of a progressive decline is an exciting one. However, is the "Bane breaks Batman's back" really the best way to show his low point? I feel like Batman being forced to kill would be the strongest way to do that, in the philosophically-bent world of foils and trick scenarios that we've been presented with so far.

That would certainly plunge Bruce into mental torment, the kind that could enhance the schizophrenic quality of his two distinct personas.

Indy Scout 117

It certainly does seem more Nolan-like to use the Penguin, but since we've already received word from him that the Penguin will not be used in the film, it's reasonable to expect another of the mob-oriented villains to appear. Black Mask would make a lot of sense.
oh i didnt know he said that the Penguin wasnt gonna be the villain...

well lets hope he picks a good one then hahaha :p

TheMutt92

Nolan casting BOTH a female villain and love interest...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/11/11/actresses-dark-knight-rises/

As was bound to happen, a shortlist has been revealed consisting of actresses who might be up for roles in The Dark Knight Rises. Deadline says that Christopher Nolan is looking at six women for two lead female roles. Reportedly, one is a love interest and the other a villain. (That note is the only really useful new info here.) Reportedly in contention are Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Blake Lively, Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway and Keira Knightley.

Montana Smith

TheMutt92 said:
Nolan casting BOTH a female villain and love interest...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/11/11/actresses-dark-knight-rises/

Maybe a conflict of interest between a girlfriend and a female villain vying for Bats' attentions?

Harley Quinn? Unlikely, but a firm nod back to The Joker.

Poison Ivy? More likely, as she already had movie presence (albeit in a terrible movie).

Catwoman? She's still the most high-profile female villain, ans the most likely contender. She's also without super-powers (before Halle Berry got a hold of her), which would fit into Nolan-verse.

JackBurton

I don't know why, but I think Talia al Ghul is a bigger possibility than Catwoman. Maybe out on revenge for her fathers death. A cameo of Neeson would be great if the whole story of resurrection would fit in Nolans version. For the love interest, there are many possibilities. Vicky Vale would be the best. To pick two from the casting list I would go with Weisz for Talia (Or Catwoman) and Watts for the Love Interest. Or cast Julianne Moore as Poison Ivy (y) As a bio-terrorist the character would fit pretty good in the realistic setting of the movies. I also think there will be a second, male villain in the movie.

TheMutt92

Batman to live on in... television?

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/11/15/batman-live-action-tv-series/

An interesting rumor about a new live-action 'Batman' series has cropped up over at ComicBookMovie.com. According to their source, Warner Bros. is already planning to create a new television series to take up the caped crusader's mantle after Christopher Nolan is (presumably) done with him with 2012's 'The Dark Knight Rises.' There's little doubt that if Nolan were inclined to make a fourth Batman movie with Christian Bale, the studio would bend over backwards to make that happen, but if there is truth to this rumor, it sounds like they're not going to let Nolan's tenuous involvement determine whether or not they stay in the Batman business.