The Fifth Indy DVD

Jawad M

Believe it or not I still haven't got my Indy DVD Collection. But I am about to purchase it at EBay. It has the fifth disc in it as well. I know it's like 10 minutes long where it takes you behind RAIDERS but for those who have it..just wanna know what they think of it?

Anyone?

Jawad

Katarn07

What 5th disk? :confused:

What exactly does it take you 'behind?' There's a behind the scenes of all the movies on the 4th disk. To my knowledge there's only the two versions (wide and fullscreen) where you get all three movies and a fourth disk with the extra content.

I

Indy_Jones88

All i heard about the 5th dvd is that it was short. like 10-12 minutes long. I dont know what it is about but i know it is short.

I

Indy_Jones88

What is PAL??? Is it a format or a type of DVD or what?

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
okay.. I'll try to explain..

(my english is kind of rusty.. so... I hope this makes sence..)

In europe vhs and dvd's are in PAL
In America ( and Japan) vhs and dvd's are in NTSC

The 5th disc is only available in America so it's NTSC, but because my dvd-player only views PAL I'm not able to see it. :(

Matthias1138 said:
What 5th disk? :confused:

What exactly does it take you 'behind?' There's a behind the scenes of all the movies on the 4th disk. To my knowledge there's only the two versions (wide and fullscreen) where you get all three movies and a fourth disk with the extra content.

The fifth disc was a promotional thingie. If you bought the set, you got an additional disc with it for free. As I understand, it had some extra Raiders behind-the-scenes stuff.

I

Indy_Jones88

Ayrun said:

The 5th disc is only available in America so it's NTSC, but because my dvd-player only views PAL I'm not able to see it. :(

Your English is very good.

I understood when you said America vhs and dvd are NTSC. I understand why it won't play now. Srry you can't. What you could do is buy an American DVD player and then buy the extra dvd. Just a suggestion.

Joe Brody

'88 is correct. It was put out by 'Best Buy' and it is a short made-for-TV promotional item that was used to hype the original release of Raiders. While there is some overlap with the 'Bonus DVD' and doesn't have the greatest production quality, the real value of the 5th disk is that it has Ford (and maybe Lucas?) referring to the Jones character as a soldier-of-fortune/scoundrel type. As you know, over time this perception of Jones has faded somewhat and it's good to have this footage to help substantiate the original vision (which is most clear in the concept art).

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Ayrun said:
Or to make it even more simple:

NTSC: stands same as "region 1".
PAL: stands same as "region 2".

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Indy_Jones88 said:
Your English is very good.

I understood when you said America vhs and dvd are NTSC. I understand why it won't play now. Srry you can't. What you could do is buy an American DVD player and then buy the extra dvd. Just a suggestion.

thx. :)

Hahaha.. don't get me wrong... I like Indy... but to buy a dvd-player for a disc that contains only 10 minutes... no thank you.

You know... they should make it an 'all-regions' dvd, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way...

(yeah, Finn... now you mention it.. that would have been more simple indeed..)

Katarn07

I got the DVDs from Target the day they were released. I feel jipped. Did it come in a case with cool artwork or not? That's my favorite part about the 4th disk in the DVD set :p

Joe Brody

Rest easy Matthias1138,

The 'bonus' fifth DVD came in a opaque thin plastic sleave and was fixed to the outside of the box under tear-away paper that exactly duplicated the art of underlying box. There was no bonus artwork.

I have both bonus disks in one case. I took a black DVD case that can fit 2 DVD's. Slide the Indy sleeve in the case and BAM! 5 disks in 4 cases.

Strider

Ayrun said:

Heh heh, I learned this lingo not so long ago in a video class. It's sort of cool to hear it again here.

S

skywlkrinc

I made cover art for the bonus DVD (which can be found at theindyexperience.net if you look for it) and placed it in an AOL DVD style case after I peeled all the AOL stickers off.

Luke

S

skywlkrinc

VP said:
What in the name of biology is theindyexperience.net?
I'm sorry I meant http://www.theindyexperience.com/
However, since I can no longer find the DVD cover art I made that they were hosting at TIE.com, I'll post a direct link from my web space.......... http://skywlkrinc.warp1.net/Indy_5th_Disk.jpg

P.S.- If I've offended the moderators or site owner by posting a link to another Indy site, I appologize. My intention was only to help those interested to find the location of the cover artwork for the 5th DVD.

Luke

If you've seen the Making of Raiders & Great Movie Stunts videos, you've seen everything in the Bonus 5th disc. It is basically a shortened version of one of the programs on that tape.

NTSC is the US standard for video which has a frame rate of about 29.97 fields per second.

PAL is the Euorpean standard which as a frame rate of 25 fields per second.

of course Brazil uses PAL-M and then there is SECAM as well.....

blah blah blah

and to top it all off they slap Region Codes on DVD's just to make people pay even more to get those Region Free DVD players that also allow NTSC to PAL conversion and vice versa.....

fun stuff isn't it?