Staff of Kings (novel) by Rob MacGregor

walker

James Rollins is writing the adult adaptation

You can pre-order it on Amazon already. An excellent choice as he's a NY Times bestselling author, so they're taking the adaptation seriously this time. I emailed Mr. Rollins about it and he was quick to response. He's very excited and noted that the Indy films were a big influence on the original books that he writes today.

James Luceno is writing the young adult version of the movie. And there is another author writing the "intermediate reader" versions for younger kids.

So there are multiple adaptations coming for different reading levels. Hope that helps clarify. They are all available for preorder.
walker

Merek Jones

great!

I can honestly say out of all the novels that I have, Rob MacGregor is the best. I am just wondering whether or not he is going to continue the story after the Last crusade or add in his new series, if he has written one, some where else. Can't wait to see.

Last edited:

Spikes & Lava

I personally loved "Peril at Delphi" the most of all the Indy books I've read. But, I'm a hopeless grecophile anyway, so that's not too surprising a revelation...

walker

a tidbit on the new MacGregor Indy book

Hello everyone
There's been a rumor going around in some other threads that Rob MacGregor was going to write another Indiana Jones novel. In fact, it's listed on Amazon's British site (amazon.co.uk) already. The pub date is listed there are April 9th, 2009, so it's still quite a ways off.

In any case, I emailed Mr. MacGregor tonight via his website and asked him if he could confirm or deny anything. I was hoping this might be the start of a new series. He was very prompt to respond and kindly shared some of the details. I asked him if I might post them here and he is allowing me to confirm the basics. The finer points must stay under wraps per George (Lucas, that is). So, here's what I can tell you, with Mr. MacGregor's permission:

There is a new novel coming out in early 2009. He is indeed writing it. It has connections to the new version of the Indiana Jones video game coming out about the same time. I am not at liberty to tell you what it's about, or the time frame in which it takes place, but I can assure you it's going to be very cool.

So...not much information really - but I'm pleased just to know there's more Indy fiction on the way. As to whether or not this is the start of a new series, who knows? I'm sure it will depend on how many of us buy this novel and the adaptation by James Rollins.

Best
walker

metalinvader

Very,very nice! Thanks so much for sharing! If it has connections to the new game then it's most likely a prequel.Hmm...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Wonderful news! I did speculate that this new novel was really new a couple of weeks back. Good to have confirmation! (y)

Blue Jay

now we only need drew struzan to do the cover and we are back in 1992 (y)

but i think that this something we can expect :)

fixer79

Aaaah, finally!
I knew I wasn't the only one who had contacted mr. MacGregor about this new Indy book...
I wasn't sure I was allowed to spill the beans out here on the forum so I've kept silent for quite a few months.
I'm really glad you asked permission to break the news, Walker. Now we can finally discuss the new Indy book... :D

Personally, I'm incredibly thrilled that mr. MacGregor will be writing at least one more Indy novel. He was truly the best Indy writer of the bunch!

Counting down...

UltimateManGod

This is great to hear. Now that I've got most of the novels and I'm reading through them, I really like MacGregor's Indy books. The McCoy books certainly had the best action and were my favorites when I first read them years ago, but the MacGregor books I've finished are certainly keeping my attention and are just as well written. I get an Indy vibe from both authors. I've got no comlaints with him coming back and writing more Indy books. I'm dreading when I reach the Caidin novels though. I've yet to hear really nice things about them. Good thing there's only two.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
UltimateManGod said:
This is great to hear. Now that I've got most of the novels and I'm reading through them, I really like MacGregor's Indy books. The McCoy books certainly had the best action and were my favorites when I first read them years ago, but the MacGregor books I've finished are certainly keeping my attention and are just as well written. I get an Indy vibe from both authors. I've got no comlaints with him coming back and writing more Indy books. I'm dreading when I reach the Caidin novels though. I've yet to hear really nice things about them. Good thing there's only two.

The characters are not bad in Caidin. He's just a little too into aviation technology. They're worth reading though, if you're reading the others, I say.

UltimateManGod

Yes, Caidin did Sky Pirates and White Witch. I'll definitely read the books so I can have my own opinion about them, once I get to them in order. On a related note, the works page on MacGregor's site says to look for more Indy early next year too. I'm probably looking forward to the new book more than the new comic because I like reading books over comics. I like the books more than the first two comics I read in the omnibus. That's not to say they were bad. The books just felt more "Indy" to me than the comics did. Hopefully "Tomb of the Gods" impresses me more. Here's MacGregor's site with the Indy blurb. http://www.robmacgregor.net/works.htm

xVendetta17x

I'm ridiculously excited for the new comics
The work from the artist, who's name escapes me, is really good
It's going to be better then any of the Indy comics released in the 90s

scottbravesfan

JimmyPSHayes said:
I wonder if it will be a restart or continue where the previous books left off.:confused:

I actually emailed him a few months back and asked him if there would be any new Indy books and he said that he was going to write a novelization of the new lucasarts Indy game that is supposed to come out in 2008 but apparently has been pushed back to 2009. So the new book could be the adaptation of the video game.