2nd Trailer - initial impressions

cinebird

I watched the new version 2 trailer several times at work today on the big screen. You can't judge a film from a 1 min 50 sec trailer but all I can say is that it looks like an Indiana Jones film, only not as good, I don't think it is a very well put together trailer it left me feeling somewhat indifferent, some of the cinema front of house staff who also watched it thought it looked rubbish. The new TV spot is much better, the pace of the V2 trailer is too fast, it needs more dialogue, remember how good the original 'Raiders' trl was.

indytim

The new TV spot is the best promo so far. It's tight, snappy and leaves you wanting more. I prefer it to the teaser, which I don't think needed to introduce the character throughout it's opening montage (even my 6 year old nephew knows who Indiana Jones is!).

It's a shame if the new trailer isn't up to scratch as everyone is looking forward to seeing it. I wonder who has final cut of the trailers? Is it Paramount or Lucasfilm, do you think? Do you think George Lucas has final say on these matters or is it just left in the hands of the marketing people?

:hat: evening all!

cinebird

agentsands77 said:
Well what does the new trailer show?
An awful lot of action, more of the fight sequence in the car on the edge of the cliff, Indy telling Mac to put his hands down because he is embarrising him while held at gunpoint as in the first trl, in the truck Marion telling Mutt that he (Indy) dosen't plan that far ahead as Indy appears from inside the truck with rocket launcher asking for his ears to be covered (funny), lots of action from inside the crystal skull temple with various pitfalls, john hurt with very long hair inside what looks like an underground warehouse along with some sort of rocket? and a (digital) counter ticking down, more of the warehouse crate sequence, the motorbike chase and all that you get in the new TV spot.
Check it out for yourself, it plays with 'Ironman'.

The Man

cinebird said:
An awful lot of action, more of the fight sequence in the car on the edge of the cliff, Indy telling Mac to put his hands down because he is embarrising him while held at gunpoint as in the first trl, in the truck Marion telling Mutt that he (Indy) dosen't plan that far ahead as Indy appears from inside the truck with rocket launcher asking for his ears to be covered (funny), lots of action from inside the crystal skull temple with various pitfalls, john hurt with very long hair inside what looks like an underground warehouse along with some sort of rocket? and a (digital) counter ticking down, more of the warehouse crate sequence, the motorbike chase and all that you get in the new TV spot.

Do you mean that Hurt is in the rocket-sled scene?!

The Man

agentsands77 said:
I'll see it when it comes out online Sunday. Have no interest in IRON MAN.

It is strange but I have no interest in it either. It's not just Indy-bias. Just don't feel arsed about it.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Uh. Sounds like the confirmation of some of my fears and the repetition of what I didn't like about the first trailer. Too much action...unsatisfying lines. And at the same time some of what you describe sounds quite cool. We'll see.

commontone

cinebird said:
I watched the new version 2 trailer several times at work today on the big screen. You can't judge a film from a 1 min 50 sec trailer but all I can say is that it looks like an Indiana Jones film, only not as good, I don't think it is a very well put together trailer it left me feeling somewhat indifferent, some of the cinema front of house staff who also watched it thought it looked rubbish.

Spielberg hates to reveal too much of the plot in his trailers...which could explain the lack of dialogue, and the indifferent vibe to it. Also don't forget that though this marketing campaign has been a little strange, they're basically in new territory here. The only other thing that compares is the SW prequels, but they've taken a decidedly different approach with this movie. They probably have certain intentions they want to get across, and they're trying to do it in a new context, probably thinking, "Well, hope this works OK..."

I can handle "indifferent," but "rubbish"? Jeeze, it can't be that bad. Anytime I see a trailer these days that's not full of CGI, it feels like a little victory. On that basis alone I think I'll enjoy it.

The Man

Maybe two or three more TV spots would work better than a two-minute trailer for a movie that Spielberg is protective of.

IndyFan89

Were starting to sound like those star wars fans and do exactly what lucas said we would do. It honestly can't be that bad.

Just lay back relax and enjoy the ride!

So any new music?

QBComics

cinebird said:

Yeah some Marion!! Sounds pretty good. Just hope it lives up to the expectation

cinebird

torao said:
Uh. Sounds like the confirmation of some of my fears and the repetition of what I didn't like about the first trailer. Too much action...unsatisfying lines. And at the same time some of what you describe sounds quite cool. We'll see.
Like I said you can't judge a film form a very short trailer, Spielberg is clever I'm sure the film will be superb.