Is it just me or do I like least of all, LC?

HenryJunior

I would agree the story has a much lighter sider than movies previous. Raiders was the the straight-edge adventure epic, but still bright and powerful. TOD throws you for a loop with pulpy/dark/drama while maintaining the character traits and style we're familiar with. LC was a bit of a band-aid for the series after TOD left parents and the MPAA shaking their heads. This means many people believe it fell into Return of the Jedi Syndrome, repackaging the first movie with what audiences liked, add a few twists and make it a suitable climax (Obviously this wasn't a story arc like Star Wars, but it had a similar dramatic pattern).

I still think that the strongest part of LC's story was in fact the Henry Snr./Jr. subplot. It explains the nature of Indy a little better, his preferences for fieldwork rather than study, this self denouncement of his father's name (thus Indiana after his dog, someone who showed him much more love and positivity than his father. He took the name of someone loved him, and it wasn't his father's).

047.jpg

This is the overbearing theme of the story IMO, the search for the Grail is what finally brings them back together. Notice at the beginning of LC he wants almost nothing to do with his father, but after rekindling their father/son relationship they learn to love each other as a family, a family that was broken after Indy's mother died and Indy rebelled. Further evidence is his genuine reflection and sadness after his Dad has passed in KOTCS.

107.jpg

I think the feelings would have been more of relief if he had not had his new experiences and adventures with his father.

Last Crusade's story ends up with this great overbearing sub-plot, but gets washed over by recycled action and drama that in a way yes, shows signs of effort slipping out of the franchise.

Well I guess I just convinced myself I like LC after all, but even still My Fav's are Raiders and TOD.

Luvey-duvey? I suppose it could be degraded to that, but only in the last few minutes when Father and Son finally accept each other, but I believe there's more to it than that.

Last edited:

Indy's brother

CAUTION: THREAD DERAILMENT IMMINENT:

HenryJunior said:

Is it just me, or is there huge black flying saucer in this shot? Speaking of stating the obvious, aren't there about a hundred other threads that this OP could be tacked onto? Seriously, guys.

Last edited:

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Is it just me, or is there huge black flying saucer in this shot?
NICE! Good eye, Indy's bro'!:hat:
Indy's brother said:
Speaking of stating the obvious, aren't there about a hundred other threads that this OP could be tacked onto? Seriously, guys.
This one kind of fits (even though it has "hate" in its title): Why do you hate The Last Crusade?

As much as I love it, "Crusade" was my least favourite until "Skull" came along.;)

Dr.Jonesy

'Crusade' went down a few notches for me over the last 5 years. It sits behind 'Kingdom' at third and ahead of 'Temple'.

IndyForever

I love LC saw it 10 times in the same theatre back in the summer of 1989. It just works naturally from start to finish & does not feel forced at all. Spielberg wanted less flashy VFX Lucas wanted more flashy VFX which is why some feel its not the most loved Indy movie as the action is replaced by father/son bonding scenes instead of more ROTLA OTT action.

Personally I feel its the best Indy movie of the lot & is pretty much perfect. The prologue alone is incredible has there ever been such a whirlwind adventure condensed into the opening 15 mins (apart from KOTC which also had an amazing prologue).

Temple Raider

I think it's grown to become my least favorite but I still love it. Even my least favorite IJ movie is still a classic :hat:

Randolph Carter

Is it just me or do I like least of all, LC?

It's not just you.
I also like LC the least of all the Indy movies.

Raiders is one of the greatest films of all time. Temple of Doom was a great sequel/prequel.

But for me, Last Crusade was lacking in so many respects.

I realize the movie has its fans, which is cool, but I've never understood how so many people can rate LC above Raiders.

Crack that whip

Randolph Carter said:
I realize the movie has its fans, which is cool, but I've never understood how so many people can rate LC above Raiders.

Indeed, I don't think "so many" people do rate Last Crusade above Raiders. Each movie has its fans who consider it their favorite (yes, even Crystal Skull), but I'm pretty sure Raiders is the favorite and most highly-rated of the four by the greatest number of people (although Crusade is likely a firm second, albeit perhaps not quite so firm around here).

Montana Smith

Is it just me or has has anyone else noticed that preceding a question with "Is it just me..." has become prevalent on message boards recently?

Johnb02 said:
It's all luvey duvey father son relationship business.

I think it's sweet when a father and son can overcome their differences and embark on a murderous rampage across Europe and Western Asia. :gun:

Montana Smith said:
Is it just me or has has anyone else noticed that preceding a question with "Is it just me..." has become prevalent on message boards recently?
I don't know about any other message boards, but the title of this particular thread is nothing if not stylish...
Montana Smith said:
I think it's sweet when a father and son can overcome their differences and embark on a murderous rampage across Europe and Western Asia. :gun:
:D

Temple Raider

Randolph Carter said:
It's not just you.
I also like LC the least of all the Indy movies.

Raiders is one of the greatest films of all time. Temple of Doom was a great sequel/prequel.

But for me, Last Crusade was lacking in so many respects.

While I've grown to like TLC the least I can understand why some would like it the best, as the interaction between Ford and Connery adds a lot to the movie and it's a much lighter-toned movie than ROTLA and TOD, which for some might make it a more fun and accessable movie.

TLC is definitely a high-quality movie, even if it's grown to become my least favorite.

Temple Raider

I rewatched the series again and while I do love them all in their own way and love TLC, it still remains my new least favorite of the series. The overly comedic tone and approach doesn't sit well with me and can be jarring at times, and I find it especially doesn't gel well with the more dramatic bits with Indy and Henry, Sr. It just feels awkward. As silly as some of KOTCS' moments are, the overall tone actually feels more consistantly restrained and not overly slapstick, which is among the reasons I marginally favor it over TLC these days. TLC gets too slapsticky for me at times.

One issue about TLC that always bugged me too is how Indy is revealed to have stolen his look from the explorer early on with the jacket and fedora. Something about that just really irritates me, to think he stole his look from someone else. Does anyone else also greatly dislike that revelation? Even as a kid it always bothered me.

jeshopk

Temple Raider said:
I rewatched the series again and while I do love them all in their own way and love TLC, it still remains my new least favorite of the series. The overly comedic tone and approach doesn't sit well with me and can be jarring at times, and I find it especially doesn't gel well with the more dramatic bits with Indy and Henry, Sr. It just feels awkward. As silly as some of KOTCS' moments are, the overall tone actually feels more consistantly restrained and not overly slapstick, which is among the reasons I marginally favor it over TLC these days. TLC gets too slapsticky for me at times.

One issue about TLC that always bugged me too is how Indy is revealed to have stolen his look from the explorer early on with the jacket and fedora. Something about that just really irritates me, to think he stole his look from someone else. Does anyone else also greatly dislike that revelation? Even as a kid it always bothered me.

Yes, me too. Raiders Indy was no poser. No way he stole that look. Also, why would he steal the look from someone who was almost killing him? Also, when I was a teenager, I hated the jokes, but now I'm ok with it. I love em all, and Indy 4 is indeed very underrated, I say.

Temple Raider

jeshopk said:
Yes, me too. Raiders Indy was no poser. No way he stole that look. Also, why would he steal the look from someone who was almost killing him?

I never even thought about that but that's a good point.

Mr Mississippi

It is NOT just you!

Last Crusade has always been my least favorite...but it is my wife's favorite. Temple of Doom has also always been my favorite and I know it's most people's least favorite. Raiders is a close second.

Vance

Montana Smith said:

*whap*

It's a thiny-veiled way of seeking affirmation.. a 'hope', if you will, for someone to pipe up and say 'no, it's not just you. You're okay and there are others like you out there'.

To that I say "Screw it. You're a freak, on the internet, afraid of being alone in your thoughts. Welcome to life, deal with it." :)