Is it just me or do I like least of all, LC?

RKORadio said:
LC could have used Hitler better. Like those old computer games where Hitler is the Big Bad, I would have used Hitler as the major villain.

that kinda stuff belittles the real war effort put forth by real people. But hey, Tarantino doesn't care and he wins awards, so I guess its okay...(n)
hitler2.JPG

Montana Smith

featofstrength said:
that kinda stuff belittles the real war effort put forth by real people. But hey, Tarantino doesn't care and he wins awards, so I guess its okay...(n)

TLC was obviously pre-war, but in any case I don't see how it belittles real wartime effort any more than a fictional Hitler sending troops to obtain a supernatural weapon of mass destruction in 1936 and a key to immortality in 1938.

Temple Raider

I think Hitler as the main villain would've made the villains in the film seem even more redundant. I think a renegade faction of the Brotherhood Of The Cruciform Sword pursuing the Grail would've made for more interesting villains, IMO.

The Drifter

Temple Raider said:
I think Hitler as the main villain would've made the villains in the film seem even more redundant. I think a renegade faction of the Brotherhood Of The Cruciform Sword pursuing the Grail would've made for more interesting villains, IMO.

I'm on the other side of the fence. I think having a real, historic figure as the villain would prove more interesting to me.

JurassicPrince

When I think of Indiana Jones, I think of each film showing Indy traveling to these exotic locations. Raiders had South America and Egypt. Temple had Shanghai and India. But Crusade felt much less exotic with Europe and Venice.

Henry W Jones

The Drifter said:
I'm on the other side of the fence. I think having a real, historic figure as the villain would prove more interesting to me.

How would they meet their doom? You cannot kill a real life character by a magical object or in a untrue senario in a Indy flick. They are already "loosely" based on history and killing a real historical character would put them in the realm of just plain unbelievable. I like that histoical references are in the film but you put too many "real" people in as main characters, it would come off like YIJC (not a compliment), phoned in and way overdone.

The Drifter

Henry W Jones said:
How would they meet their doom? You cannot kill a real life character by a magical object or in a untrue senario in a Indy flick. They are already "loosely" based on history and killing a real historical character would put them in the realm of just plain unbelievable.
Not every villain needs to die. Lao Che never got his comeuppance. I could see (let's use Hitler as an example) Hitler learning of Indiana Jones, and sends some of his goons after the good doctor. Indy thwarts them, and the head goon dies a horrible death, Indy tries his hardest to get to Hitler, but Indy and well as Hitler live to see another day.

Henry W Jones said:
I like that histoical references are in the film but you put too many "real" people in as main characters, it would come off like YIJC (not a compliment), phoned in and way overdone.

I agree, and I would leave Raiders and Doom the way they are, but having Hitler as the main villain in Crusade could have worked, and I would have loved to had seen it.

Henry W Jones

The Drifter said:
Not every villain needs to die. Lao Che never got his comeuppance. I could see (let's use Hitler as an example) Hitler learning of Indiana Jones, and sends some of his goons after the good doctor. Indy thwarts them, and the head goon dies a horrible death, Indy tries his hardest to get to Hitler, but Indy and well as Hitler live to see another day.

I agree, and I would leave Raiders and Doom the way they are, but having Hitler as the main villain in Crusade could have worked, and I would have loved to had seen it.

Isn't he the main villian in 2 of the films already? I feel it would be too much if he had any bigger role. I already think he get too much screen time in LC.

InexorableTash

If you want to see Hitler-as-Blofeld, check out the slapstick, intentionally low-budget, and terribly culturally insensitive homage to 60's action/spy tropes "Danger 5", c/o our friends in Australia. It's on Hulu and the various other ways to watch content on the internets.

"And remember, your top priority as always: KILL HITLER!"

The Drifter

Henry W Jones said:
Isn't he the main villian in 2 of the films already? I feel it would be too much if he had any bigger role. I already think he get too much screen time in LC.

If you wanted to get technical, yes - he's the main villain in Crusade and Raiders. But, I would have liked to had seen more of him in Crusade. He would've fit better in that film. You think he got too much screen time in Crusade? He was shown all of 20 seconds, maybe. I would have liked to seen him acknowledge Indiana and his father. To want them stopped at all costs. To see him sending his men out to destroy the Jones boys.

InexorableTash said:
If you want to see Hitler-as-Blofeld, check out the slapstick, intentionally low-budget, and terribly culturally insensitive homage to 60's action/spy tropes "Danger 5", c/o our friends in Australia. It's on Hulu and the various other ways to watch content on the internets.

"And remember, your top priority as always: KILL HITLER!"

I've never heard of that, but will check it out. Thanks.

Henry W Jones

The Drifter said:
If you wanted to get technical, yes - he's the main villain in Crusade and Raiders. But, I would have liked to had seen more of him in Crusade. He would've fit better in that film. You think he got too much screen time in Crusade? He was shown all of 20 seconds, maybe. I would have liked to seen him acknowledge Indiana and his father. To want them stopped at all costs. To see him sending his men out to destroy the Jones boys.

I've never heard of that, but will check it out. Thanks.

I like the Hitler scene but any more of Hitler would be over the top. Maybe I should have said just enough screen time. Though it is the start of him meeting every historical person in history so maybe it was too much. ;)

The Drifter

Henry W Jones said:
I like the Hitler scene but any more of Hitler would be over the top. Maybe I should have said just enough screen time. Though it is the start of him meeting every historical person in history so maybe it was too much. ;)

I can see where you're coming from. It did seem like his life was page from a connect-the-dots book, with historical figures being the dots.

Henry W Jones

The Drifter said:
I can see where you're coming from. It did seem like his life was page from a connect-the-dots book, with historical figures being the dots.

That is why the first two films are my favorites. After TOD, it felt like they were trying too hard to get peoples acceptance for "Doom" being trashed for violence and being more family based and educational was used to do that. My Aunt who is sixty seven has all the films but Doom and she loves LC. Same with my 62 year old neighbor, has all the films and I just got her to watch TOD for the first time last year since its release and she watched once now on her own since, but for 30 years she avoided it. She loves LC and KOTCS. They are the demographic they were trying to win back. Also, introduced the neighbor to YIJC. Loves that as well. I feel the LC over softened Indy as a character, took away his mystery, made fools out of Marcus and Sallah and was the beginning of the end for Lucas. Or was Howard the Duck first? I now like LC, but upon first viewing, it left a sour taste in my mouth in 89.

Temple Raider

I always enjoyed TLC but even as a kid it always struck me how much lighter it was than the first two and how downscaled it felt by comparison.

Lao_Che

I like Espionage Escapades the least. ;)

I think there's some merit to the criticism that Last Crusade is a safe movie by bringing back in some of Raiders' elements (Nazis, Sallah, Marcus, Biblical artifact). Unpopular Crystal Skull may be but slapping the sci-fi B movie stuff around this sorta greatest hits of a film was at least a risky move.

Shame we never got a bridge story from the TV series to Temple showing Indy's transformation into a character closer to Belloq that he'd care to admit. Temple is pretty much the story of how Indy chose sentimentality over fortune and glory. How the power of the rock is his realising that some things are worth more than money. So it would have been nice to see him get there from the idealistic scout since the tone of the TV series is all over the place.

Temple Raider

Lao_Che said:
I think there's some merit to the criticism that Last Crusade is a safe movie by bringing back in some of Raiders' elements (Nazis, Sallah, Marcus, Biblical artifact). Unpopular Crystal Skull may be but slapping the sci-fi B movie stuff around this sorta greatest hits of a film was at least a risky move.

The Sci-Fi aspect of KOTCS I'm sure was jarring for a lot of Indy fans who'd grown up with the original three and were used to the series dealing with religious artifacts and not something space-oriented. That was part of the reason it initially was my least liked at first.

Temple Raider

Rewatching the series again for the first time in a good while, my opinion on TLC and the series as a whole is pretty much the same. I still love and cherish all four films very much, but TLC just seems like the Indy film I'm least likely to pick if I was choosing just one to watch.

I know Spielberg wanted to harken back a lot to ROTLA after the backlash over TOD, but I can't help but wonder how TLC might've turned out if the haunted castle concept that Lucas thought of would've been used. I think it would've been something very cool and again, something different and creative for the series. I think all sorts of cool scenarios could've played out with this concept.

AndyLGR

JurassicPrince said:
When I think of Indiana Jones, I think of each film showing Indy traveling to these exotic locations. Raiders had South America and Egypt. Temple had Shanghai and India. But Crusade felt much less exotic with Europe and Venice.
Venice is in Europe. Personally I think KOTCS and TOD are the 2 movies with the least scope about them in terms of the locations they travel to.

KOTCS is by a long way the worst of the Indy movies, but back in the day I always preferred TLC over TOD. Watching it recently and the most annoying aspect for me has is still Marcus's turn as a bumbling fool. It doesn't seem to fit how Raiders sets up his character as a mentor kind of serious figure for Indy.

Temple Raider

AndyLGR said:
KOTCS is by a long way the worst of the Indy movies, but back in the day I always preferred TLC over TOD. Watching it recently and the most annoying aspect for me has is still Marcus's turn as a bumbling fool. It doesn't seem to fit how Raiders sets up his character as a mentor kind of serious figure for Indy.

That is very annoying, also how Sallah is turned into a fool and is completely useless to the plot. You could delete Sallah from the film and it'd have pretty much no effect on anything. Same with Oxley and Mac in KOTCS.

Crack that whip

Henry W Jones said:
How would they meet their doom? You cannot kill a real life character by a magical object or in a untrue senario in a Indy flick. They are already "loosely" based on history and killing a real historical character would put them in the realm of just plain unbelievable. I like that histoical references are in the film but you put too many "real" people in as main characters, it would come off like YIJC (not a compliment), phoned in and way overdone.

While I tend to agree with your main point, I must take exception to the idea of one of the movies coming off like the show as being a bad thing.