Is it just me or do I like least of all, LC?

Temple Raider

AndyLGR said:
Venice is in Europe. Personally I think KOTCS and TOD are the 2 movies with the least scope about them in terms of the locations they travel to.

I think what those two may lack in scope they make up for with the locales having a bit of character of their own. I can't quite describe it, but the locales in TOD and KOTCS feel more "alive" to me than what's in ROTLA and TLC.

Temple Raider

I think this makes for an interesting topic, any Indy fans who regard TLC as the weakest even with both TOD and KOTCS in the mix? It's very rare that it's considered as such.

As I said before, KOTCS was easily my least favorite for a while but with repeat views I liked it much better and now prefer it slightly to TLC, and I've known of a few others who felt similarly.

Temple Raider

Almost a year since this topic had any posts. Anyway, recently going through the whole series again, I find TLC definitely holds up the least well for me with rewatches. It's still good but for some reason there's a bit of a blandness to it when compared to the others. I guess it's just it trying to ape Raiders so much that it feels uninspired compared to the rest. I still enjoy it but it seems to diminish slightly every time I watch it, whereas the first two remain the same and KOTCS improves.

Z dweller

I always enjoy watching TLC again, as much as TOD.

Raiders is of course an absolute, timeless masterpiece.

KOTCS has a few good moments, but Harry was just too old for me, even back then.

mrman7

LC used to be my favorite as a kid but recently has been eclipsed by Raiders (Return of the Jedi used to be my favorite SW movie too but now it's Empire).

Now that I'm older and know a little more about how films are done, I see that LC has some pretty sloppy elements to it (the fake bookshelf behind Indy in the Library, Elsa's weird " in this case it's the literal truth" line jump, some silly humor etc.) However, I think it has a great heart, fantastic score, good stunts, an AMAZING performance from Connery, a fantastic repoire with Ford, the loveliest leading lady in the series and a truly epic quest at the center of it. All in all, I'd say it's the second best in the series. :whip:

AndyLGR

TLC used to be my second favourite in the series behind Raiders, but as I've got older I think I appreciate TOD even more now and thats slowly become tied with TLC for me. The elements of TLC that now grate on me are the opening young Indy sequence and the crappy humour with Marcus. But really despite that its probably just nitpicking on my part, because the standard of all 3 films is so high in comparison to other similar genre films. The quest for the Holy Grail and the parallels between that and Indys relationship with his dad make it a really good macguffin and I love Connerys performance in it.

mrman7

Glenville86 said:
In order from first to last of the movies for me:

1. Raiders
2. LC
3. TOD
4. Crystal Skull

Good list. TOD and Crystal skull oscillate back and forth for me in terms of bottom slot

Duaner

mrman7 said:
Good list. TOD and Crystal skull oscillate back and forth for me in terms of bottom slot

Crystal Skull (though I actually like it) should be firmly entrenched at #4 for every Indy fan. Temple of Doom is actually, in my opinion, slightly better than Last Crusade (which is fantastic though!)

AndyLGR

I watched LC again yesterday, and afterwards I thought I'd have a look at all the films respective ratings on imdb. I was surprised to see TLC rating very closely behind Raiders 8.6 with 8.3 out of 10. TOD gets 7.6, which I think is harsh, whilst KOTCS has 6.2.

mrman7

AndyLGR said:
I was surprised to see TLC rating very closely behind Raiders 8.6 with 8.3 out of 10. TOD gets 7.6, which I think is harsh, whilst KOTCS has 6.2.

For better or for worse, I think that order is conventional wisdom among casual fans. I think that a lot of people actual favor TLC ABOVE Raiders because the Sean Connery element is so popular. :rolleyes:

Temple Raider

Connery is awesome in TLC and a total show-stealer and his chemistry with Ford is outstanding. That said though I find TLC falls short of the first two for me but I still enjoy it a great deal. TLC and KOTCS are neck and neck for me for third and fourth place. TLC has the nostalgia factor while KOTCS feels more fresh.

Major West

I never liked TLC when it first came out. Too much comedy, I eventually warmed to it over the years, and really like it for what it is. One thing I never liked, and it might be a strange thing to dislike, and TLC is on TV as I type this. Indy wearing a tie in the middle of the movie, Why is he wearing a tie? I never thought to question the reason, but it just occurred to me there isn't a reason to wear a tie with that gear, in the situation he's going into.

I do like all the interaction between Connery and Ford, especially knowing that all their dialogue was penned (uncredited) by acclaimed British playwright Tom Stoppard. A playwright famous enough that we studied some of his work at school.

IAdventurer01

Isn't he wearing the tie as part of his (terrible) disguise to talk his way into Castle Brunwald? He loses the tie after the escape.

Edit: (( Neat! 1000 posts in a mere 12 years. I'm a talkative fellow. :p ))

Finn

Staff member
IAdventurer01 said:
Isn't he wearing the tie as part of his (terrible) disguise to talk his way into Castle Brunwald? He loses the tie after the escape.
To clarify: The tie is first seen at the beginning of the Venice sequence, but by that time he's not wearing the leather jacket but a full suit, so it kinda makes sense. He then wears the jacket + tie combo all the way throughout the castle and zeppelin bits. The last time he's seen wearing it is on the beach when Henry enlists the aid of seagulls to destroy the chasing plane. He loses the tie once they join Sallah in Hatay.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Finn said:
To clarify: The tie is first seen at the beginning of the Venice sequence, but by that time he's not wearing the leather jacket but a full suit, so it kinda makes sense. He then wears the jacket + tie combo all the way throughout the castle and zeppelin bits. The last time he's seen wearing it is on the beach when Henry enlists the aid of seagulls to destroy the chasing plane. He loses the tie once they join Sallah in Hatay.

But he is not wearing the same tie all that time. In Venice he wears a tie in bordeaux color and then a black one.

Finn

Staff member
Sakis said:
But he is not wearing the same tie all that time. In Venice he wears a tie in bordeaux color and then a black one.
And he's also not wearing the jacket in Venice.

However, he does wear a tie for quite a bit longer than just the castle sequence. It's kinda obvious why he's got one in Venice because he's in a suit. Why he chooses to wear one with the jacket is never explicitly explained.

Not that it makes the film a single bit worse, but I guess this is the very place to inspect detail like that.

Gear

Finn said:
However, he does wear a tie for quite a bit longer than just the castle sequence. It's kinda obvious why he's got one in Venice because he's in a suit. Why he chooses to wear one with the jacket is never explicitly explained.

I think the best explanation, as depicted on this forum, is that he wore it to look more 'presentable' to his farther, who he is saving after years of no contact.

Also, maybe it was the directors showing visually his dad's intellectual influence on him, and a symbol for his more-than-perceived similarities to Sr. :confused:

Or it just changed up his seasonal wardrob.