KotCS reviews in media

Agent Z

commontone said:
That would be me. ;) Mostly kidding, I kind of resent that remark. I'm 28, and have been living with the parents (in a basement bedroom) the last two years to pay off debt so I can return to school. Of course I don't consider myself a loser or geek. But my life certainly isn't on par with my friends in grad school or adventuring around the world.

Just had to comment...I inevitably battle the "older guy living with his parents" cliche. Next time you encounter one of us...keep in mind the situation may be voluntary and meant to foster future growth. ;)

I have heard that in France, men live with their mothers well into their 40's and 50's. I need some backup on that though. French Raveners feel free to chime in and educate.

Life is a marathon. Hell, it's like 1,000,000,000 marathons. There are all sorts of methods to reach that ultimate madness. So, keep plugging away my friend.

Borbarad

northernsoul said:
Good to see it's up to 7/10 on Rotten Tomatoes! :whip:

Not that these things matter really of course. Ahem.

Good to hear, that's about where my expectations were. 7/10 isn't great, but it's good and with many more reviews to come, hopefully it doesn't drop below into the 6's.

dallasindy said:
How did this rating become so high.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/

Same thing that happens with EVERY summer blockbuster. A sudden influx... it'll die down later.

Though sometimes it doesn't which is why so many new movies are unfairly occupying space in the Top 250. IMDb's Top 250 is just a popularity contest. It figures that current big-budget releases will score well.

Critics are pretty pointless, really. I mean, I suffer from piles but I'll be damned if a third party is gonna tell me how painful they are.

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:
Of ****ing course I am. I've never said otherwise.

I already have my tickets. I'll be seeing it in a beautiful historic Art Deco theater opening night. I've talked my buddy's ear off about Indy for months. I've been revisiting many of the old Indy games... of course I'm excited and I've been saying that ever since the damned film was announced.

I've also said that it's foolish to expect it to be a masterpiece OR to expect it to be terrible.

Expect it to be a movie... a movie made by people... not super humans. There's no guarantee that it will be fantastic. There are lots of things that worry me about the film. But I've ALWAYS been excited.

My enthusiasm is just misrepresented here by a lot of you looking for a target. It's pathetic, really.

I get where he is coming from. He is saying it could go either way. Because as much as you praise Lucas, Ford and Spielberg. They are just humans like the rest of us and that doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna make a bad or a great movie.

Pessimism? No. How about truth. And nobody give me that line from Last Crusade.

Perhilion

I think RA has the right idea, now that I finally understand what he's been trying to say through all that sarcasm.
ahem.....
"Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. If it's truth you're looking for, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall." HA!:D

Munpa

Only a timid green breaks the sea of reds in the first rottentomatoes page now. I didn't expect this so good critics response. :eek:

sandiegojones

There's a story highlighted on yahoo that the film has "mixed" reviews. It's got about an 80% approval rating. How is that mixed. like I've said before, bad news sells papers so they'll find a way to create bad buzz.

Like Martin Lawrence says "A critic is someone who can't do what you do so they criticize your sh!t! Fu@k a critic!"

All of these critics, especially the internet ones, grew up wanting to be filmmakers and turned out to be no talent hacks so they criticize. I know because I spent 3 years in film school and now I work in finance, but I knew what my limitations were and I did not bash others for trying.

Skipper

sandiegojones said:
All of these critics, especially the internet ones, grew up wanting to be filmmakers and turned out to be no talent hacks so they criticize.
It seems that internet critics were the first to post their reviews and bash the movie. The newspaper critics, who are less likely to feel disillusioned with Lucas, have been posting their reviews at a more leisurely pace, and these reviews seem to be more positive.

I think the explanation is that the more traditional critics have never viewed the Indy movies as anything more than light-hearted entertainment, whereas the internet critics tended to have unrealistically high expectations.

sandiegojones

gallandro said:
Hey sandiego, I noticed you are located in the Valley of the Sun, where are you catching Indy at?

Yancy
The Harkins Cine Capri in Scottsdale off the 101. I'm going Fri at 11:30 am and again at 7:30 pm with my wife and son.

sandiegojones

I don't expect everyone to love it, but so far it has everything I know I'll love. I've always liked Meso-American history, I love the 50's and Elvis (listening to him at the moment) and when i was young I liked UFO's (I don't believe at all now but I like watching the shows on History).

blueseattle

It bothers me that people would say its been getting mixed reviews. It's overwhelmingly positive. Just watch... when The Dark Knight comes out, everyone is going to be glowing with positive reviews and no bad buzz will surround that movie. Such bull****.

Skipper

blueseattle said:
It bothers me that people would say its been getting mixed reviews. It's overwhelmingly positive. Just watch... when The Dark Knight comes out, everyone is going to be glowing with positive reviews and no bad buzz will surround that movie. Such bull****.
The problem is that the very earliest reviews were pretty mixed, and forever enshrined KOTCS with a "mixed reviews" reputation, regardless of the fact that the later reviews to come in have been overwhelmingly positive. (It's pretty sad that the movie has only been available to critics for 2 days, and its reputation is already etched in stone.)