Is it better than temple of doom?

SPECTER

MolaRam2 said:
I hope your wrong about the tone of Indy 4's action. It still has a chance at being better than LC though, making it the 3rd best Indy film.

I generally hate CGI, the effects in the old Indy movies look very realistic, whereas CGI often looks fake and noticeable. The puppets falling from the rope bridge in Temple look far more realistic than CGI.

I agree with you of the puppets, but their screems were what hurt that scene. lol

Vance

Crack that whip said:
The important question is whether or not Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is better than sliced bread.

Despite many claims to the contrary, there has been no definitive proof that anything has exceeded the wonder that is sliced bread.

SPECTER

Vance said:
Despite many claims to the contrary, there has been no definitive proof that anything has exceeded the wonder that is sliced bread.

the Series IS sliced bread but here is how you get that
Raiders=the loaf of bread=Raiders is sliced bread also
LC=the knife to cut the bread
TOD= knife cutting the bread
KOTCS=might be some butter for the bread

Salacious

MolaRam2 said:
I hope your wrong about the tone of Indy 4's action. It still has a chance at being better than LC though, making it the 3rd best Indy film.

I generally hate CGI, the effects in the old Indy movies look very realistic, whereas CGI often looks fake and noticeable. The puppets falling from the rope bridge in Temple look far more realistic than CGI.

Well, I am not sure about the puppets. I mean, the miniatures of the mine cart and all were brilliant and felt realistic. But I think CGI'ing the heads of the characters with those minature models is what would work best IMO.

Something like Puppet Yoda vs CGI Yoda...CGI Yoda fails big time in comparison IMO.

So who knows what we will get.

MolaRam2

Salacious said:
Well, I am not sure about the puppets. I mean, the miniatures of the mine cart and all were brilliant and felt realistic. But I think CGI'ing the heads of the characters with those minature models is what would work best IMO.

Something like Puppet Yoda vs CGI Yoda...CGI Yoda fails big time in comparison IMO.

So who knows what we will get.

I would take Puppet Yoda over CGI Yoda anyday.

Salacious

Yeah...the worry I have is that Indy 4 will have taken some shortcuts due to the CGI availability whereas in the old days, they had to everything themselves.

I think they would keep them in check somewhat, and thats why I love Raiders...its the true pulp serial movie that harkens back to the old serials where everything was done by the stuntman...it felt realistic because the work was somewhat real.

CGI is still mostly obvious, with the great exceptions of Jurrasic Park's dinosaurs, I dont think I have seen any CGI that I can claim as "realistic"...as silly as that sounds what I speak of dinosaurs. There is some kind of dimensional loss with CGI that they still havent been able to replicate and its not seemless when the real actors and props are mixed in with everything else...again, with some bizzare exception to Jurrasic Park. However, I do have to watch that movie again to make sure I know what I am talking about...as I am am just going on the top of my head.

Whipper

Salacious said:
I dont think I have seen any CGI that I can claim as "realistic"...as silly as that sounds what I speak of dinosaurs.
You probably have and just never realized it -- which is when CGI is at its best.

commontone

Salacious said:
CGI is still mostly obvious, with the great exceptions of Jurrasic Park's dinosaurs, I dont think I have seen any CGI that I can claim as "realistic"...

What about War of the Worlds? There's a scene where an old brick church kind of implodes/collapses. It looks utterly real -- only the fact that it happens amidst so much chaos with actors running everywhere prevents you from thinking it's actually real. Visually, it's stunning. As is the highway overpass being demolished behind them as they speed away from the city.

Which is why I'm puzzled that some say the CGI in Indy 4 is lackluster. It's the same people who did the above effects so well (the Berg and ILM).

Grailseeker

It's not better than TOD...

TOD is suppose to be darker with more fist to face action (which it is)

The physical (NOT CGI) sets and stunt work were the best, something KOTCS was VERY MUCH lacking.

Aggie Crusade

I prefer it over ToD. I thought that ToD was trying too hard to be a serial; i.e. it didn't just borrow serial motifs like Raiders did.

Vendetta08

No, this isn't better than Temple! Mola Ram was a fantastic villain, Indy was bad-ass from beginning to end, the bridge sequence is classic and without a doubt is 100% better than the ending of Crystal Skull. Short Round is also the greatest side-kick of all time.

gonzosports

BETTER THAN TEMPLE OF DOOM?

Kingdom of the Phantom Menace is barely better than Dude, Where's My Car?

The idea of Temple of Doom not being brilliant is an idea that needs to be quashed - it's a great film perfectly in line with the mythology. Last Crusade is the stepchild.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the twice-removed, long lost cousin who comes to stay with you out of the blue, drinks all your Prohibition ale, kicks your dog, doesn't pay rent and gives you no idea when they're leaving.

ShortRound3

Better than Temple of Doom? No, it's better than Raiders!

I just saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I think it is the best of the series. Even better than Raiders. You heard it. Here's my thoughts about the places of the series.
#1: KOTCS
#2: ROTLA tied with LC
#3: TOD

IH8Snakes

ShortRound3 said:
I just saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I think it is the best of the series. Even better than Raiders. You heard it. Here's my thoughts about the places of the series.

I have the LC as #1, followed by CS and then LA. TOD, while still great, I have at 4.

Crusade>Raiders

ShortRound3 said:

ShortRound3 said:
I just saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I think it is the best of the series. Even better than Raiders.

ShortRound3 said:
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...best of the series.

Uh...:confused:

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It has plenty of flaws, but I had a lot of fun with it. Definitely wasn't Raiders/Crusade level(Those are the classics) but it was on par, if not better than Temple IMO.

Crusade>Raiders :) > Kingdom > Temple

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull isn't worthy of licking the soundstage Temple was shot on.

Were Temple of Doom capable of bowel movements, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull would be wiping Temple's ass.

Just a disgrace. Indy remains a trilogy. And it's not even an issue of canonicity; I can accept Indy 4 as canon, but I can't accept it as a good film. Even Crusade, for all its flaws, is a much better film.