IESB reveals Blanchett's role

sarah navarro

replican't said:
If she doesn't have a ***** slap fight with Marion in mud/water, I'm going to jump on a plane and set fire to Spielberg's beard and perform amateur liposuction on one of Lucas' necks.

hahahahahahahaha lol!
i think there should be some kind of last crusade love triangle type thing , maybe indy and cate were together but later marion shows up with mutt (babies daddy) and then finds out that cate is actually a commie.:) ..........just one of my crazy ideas, but i dont want to know what cate plays until the movie comes out

Niteshade007

replican't said:
If she doesn't have a ***** slap fight with Marion in mud/water, I'm going to jump on a plane and set fire to Spielberg's beard and perform amateur liposuction on one of Lucas' necks.

Someone has a lot of anger...

sarah navarro said:
i think there should be some kind of last crusade love triangle type thing , maybe indy and cate were together but later marion shows up with mutt (babies daddy) and then finds out that cate is actually a commie. ..........just one of my crazy ideas, but i dont want to know what cate plays until the movie comes out

I actually hope that isn't true. They've already done the love triangle thing....

But I did just realize that this is the first time that there have been TWO major female roles (Well, the major part is just guessing). I mean, we had Sallah's wife for...what? Five minutes? And really no other major speaking roles (villagers and singer/dancers in Temple, can't think of ANY other than Elsa in Last Crusade). So it'll be interesting to see how the two female characters play off each other.

Professor Jones

I don't know... Spielberg has got quite a "traditional" perspective about women. They never overtake the scene in his movies. And that perfectly fits the "fairy tale" cut he love so much and we love so much, that make every thing so simple, understandable and enjoyable, even in all its implication of mysticism, exotism and so on..

I mean I don't know how much Spielberg would like to emphatize the contrast between two major female roles, if not in a quite schematic passing-through way. Don't forget the scene will be always robbed by Indy (Harrison's already pointed up that HE is the handsome in the movie!).:cool:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Ok kids. I've just found out this morning that one of the Breakfast shows down here is about to have an interview with Cate Blancett. I'll let you know if she says anything at all about Indy IV. I doubt it.

NileQT87

um, actually, harrison said ray thinks he's the good-looking one, but he's not--shia's the good-looking one. he didn't point at himself.

but obviously indy is the star, and they'll keep it that way.

let us know if cate's hair is in a black bob (though that might be a wig--and likely is).

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Ok, guys. I wasn't feeling well and slept in a little but managed to catch the end of the interview with Cate Blancett this morning. She was on the show "Sunrise". She was in Sydney to promote a new website for promoting being green. She didn't have a black bob. Her hair was normal long blonde. But, she was in Australia, which can only suggest that she was taking a break from Indy IV. Other than that, I didn't hear a snippet of Indy IV talk. I'll PM the Aussies here to see if any of them caught the rest of the interview.

NileQT87 said:
um, actually, harrison said ray thinks he's the good-looking one, but he's not--shia's the good-looking one. he didn't point at himself.

but obviously indy is the star, and they'll keep it that way.

let us know if cate's hair is in a black bob (though that might be a wig--and likely is).

I like the way Harrison Ford adopts what is usually a female trait and is all touchy feely with Ray. I've noticed this in other interviews, where Mr Ford employs similar generosity with his body limbs and it seems to have the calculated effect of bonding with the intervewier.

Guy clearly picked up a few tricks in carpentry class.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
The only old villians left alive from the Indy trilogy..

Lao Che -- perhaps our friend is now a Communist working with the Russians? I haven't heard anyone mention his name ---besides he was alive - in fact he's the only guy -- unless you count Adolf Hitler -- who was in Last Crusade and that would be a great "surprise"!

Dr.Sartorius

This interview with Cate Blanchett looks like the one we've seen recently but with some new information I haven't seen before:

Cate Blanchett Tells Her Set Story from Indy IV
But she ain't spillin' the secret of the crystal skull.
by Fred Topel | September 19, 2007
Blog Article | Discuss Article
Of course Cate Blanchett can't talk much about her villainous role in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, or the plot. We wouldn't expect her to. Just hearing about her first day on the set is plenty.

"It's such a well-oiled, as you say, iconic franchise, and one which I grew up with," Blanchett recalls. "On the first day of shooting, it was extremely surreal. I was watching the monitor as Steven [Spielberg] set up the frame, and I knew the iconography of the frame. I knew the trucks, I knew the layout, I knew the way these things were lit."

Recognizing such elements in person made it hard for Blanchett to do her job. "When I was meant to enter the frame, it was a real Zelig moment. So it's been fantastic, and so much fun. And my boys have had an absolute ball. I've got a couple more weeks."

Even her sons are sworn to secrecy. "I'll be shot and so will you. Don't joke, there's FBI people on the set."

MsIndy07

Do Cate's the villian. I figured as much! So the question here is wether she plays a soviet, and if she tries to seduce Indy. (Too LC for me!)

Niteshade007

From what the extra has said, my guess is that no seducing will be going on between the two. At first I was worried they'd go a Last Crusade route and have a female villain that was in league with the good guys and reveals herself to be a baddie, but now I get the impression that she's more along the lines of the other villains, bad from the beginning.

commontone

She may not be a love interest, but she'll probably still play a sexy character...a femme fatale that Indy may feel attracted to in spite of himself.

Dr.Sartorius

New Cate Blanchett info from EmpireOnline:

Exclusive: Cate Blanchett Talks Indy IV
We're going to see Butch Blanchett?

There are many words that come to mind when you think Cate Blanchett. Ethereal, maybe. Fantastically talented, certainly. Agreeably antipodean, even. "Butch" is not one of them. But that's what Blanchett recently told us we could expect of her character in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

?Oh, it?s so much fun,? she says of working on the franchise's fourth movie, ?I?ve been having a ball. I went on set [recently] and Steven said, ?I?ve got five really macho things for you to do today.? He was so excited about butching me up. And I was such a fan [of the Indiana Jones movies], I grew up on them. I was completely in love with Harrison Ford, and still am. He?s a hottie, he?s definitely stood the test of time. And it?s fantastic to be working in a genre that Steven and Harrison know like the back of their hands. They grew up making these films together; it?s like a family, all the people who?ve worked on this franchise. And they?re so welcoming; it?s a really happy set to be on.?

Spielberg has been doing an admirable job of keeping plot points under wraps, but this certainly adds credence to the rumours doing the rounds that Blanchett's playing a villainess, possibly a Russian. One with a touch of androgyny about her, apparently.
Olly Richards

commontone

I'm thinking "butch" or "macho" more along the lines of Sigourney Weaver in Alien, or Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. What's wrong with that?

Cate Blanchett can pull it off. And it's not surprising, given that she's supposed to be a Russian interrogator. She's certainly not going to be a soft, gentle interrogator...that would make no sense.

Niteshade007

I'm not saying Doris Day, but more Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct? Although that's not a great example. Just a sort of femme fatale in general. No good example is coming to me at the moment (of course, I haven't been expressing my ideas very well lately.)