Raiders of the Lost Archives: A Shot-by-Shot Comparison

Stoo

The 30 Film Recipe

James, putting you out of your misery would require a bullet to the brain.:gun:...and I wouldn't want to do that!:hat:

Bold = Colour films reduced to black & white

Multiple clips:
01) Secret of the Incas (1954)
02) Die Spinnen (Spiders) (1919)
03) The Naked Jungle (1954)
04) Trader Horn (1931)
05) Trader Horn (1973)
06) King Kong (1933)
07) Stanley and Livingstone (1939)
08) Tarzan and His Mate (1934)
09) Tarzan Escapes (1936)
10) Tarzan?s Secret Treasure (1941)
11) King Solomon?s Mines (1937)
12) King Solomon?s Mines (1954)
13) Watusi (1959)
14) Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
15) Perils of Nyoka (Nyoka and the Tigermen) (1942)
16) The Three Musketeers (1933) NOT the Dumas tale (as you?re aware, James)

2 clips or less:
17) The Light That Failed (1939) Paramount logo only
18) Five Weeks In a Balloon (1962)
19) Ice Cold In Alex (1958)
20) The Lost World (1960)
21) Mr. Robinson Crusoe (1932)
22) Gunga Din (1939)
23) Zorro Rides Again (1937)
24) Zorro?s Fighting Legion (1939)
25) G-Men vs. The Black Dragon (1943)
26) Daredevils of the Red Circle (1939)
27) Jungle Jim (TV) (1955)
28) Perils of the Jungle (1953)
29) The Lone Ranger (1956)
30) Raiders of Ghost City (1944) Title only

James Byrne

No ... don't shoot me Stoo ... I'm not that famous!

I saw the 1960 version of THE LOST WORLD recently, and really enjoyed it. What's so unusual about that you may wonder?
Well, on its initial release I thought it was ridiculous ... and I was a kid then!!!

Stoo

Simon1882 said:
Just saw the side by side -- a very clever, well-made study! Bravo! :hat:
Thank you, Simon. Glad you liked it and thanks for the compliment.:)
James Byrne said:
I saw the 1960 version of THE LOST WORLD recently, and really enjoyed it. What's so unusual about that you may wonder?
Well, on its initial release I thought it was ridiculous ... and I was a kid then!!!
Having every version of "The Lost World" ever committed to film, I also didn't like the 1960 version upon the first viewing but it eventually grew on me. Claude Raines makes a great Professor Challenger and now I cherish this adaptation.:)

2 slowed-down shots of the float-plane in the water were the only clips from the 1960 "Lost World" used in my "Raiders" tribute.
James Byrne said:
I just looked at your masterpiece again after a few months - its incredible mate!
Thanks again, James. Your comments are well appreciated but...since the upload, I've found many clips which could improve my comparison and I may do a NEW, better version for YouTube!:eek:

Currently, I'm compiling clips which recreate other sequences from the original Indy trilogy and am always on the lookout for more so...if anyone has any suggestions...please, let me know!

Stoo

Saber79 said:
Really an incredible job Stoo, I could watch that over and over again!!
Glad you enjoyed it, Saber.:)
Stephen Jared in the "Secret of the Incas" thread said:
Wow! That was amazing! How did I miss all that? I think there was a long stretch of time when I'd quickly jump on TheRaider to see if there was any Indy 5 news and go. I tip my hat to you, Stoo. I was also amazed after watching it to read how James was able to guess at so many of those clips.

You mentioned that you're looking for others for future projects. Ever see Nate & Hayes with Tommy Lee Jones? I'm not crazy about the film but it came out right before Temple of Doom and had a nearly identical rope bridge scene. Lots of rope bridge scenes in Hollywood history but this one you could definitely grab a clip or two from.
...(snip)...
Thanks for bringing my attention to The Lost Archives.
Thanks for the kind words, Stephen. I was hoping you'd see it someday. I have "Nate & Hayes" but will probably not use that film since I'm strictly trying to use clips that are pre-1981. I have a lot of old films with rope bridges but am always on the look out for more. Thanks for the suggestion, all the same.:hat:

While I have some films with mine cart action & water flooding tunnels, that entire sequence would be almost impossible to recreate because of how long it lasts. The boat chase in "Crusade" would be easy. I even have a part from a Dick Tracy film/serial where he goes between 2 ships but I don't know it's title! Help!:eek: As I mentioned here & in the "Secret of the Incas" thread, the desert chase from "Raiders" is up next.

Yes, James did an impressive job at picking out many of the titles (who else, eh?) but half the total were never identified. Too bad you weren't around before I listed them all.;)
Indy's brother in the "Chuck Heston is Indiana Jones..." thread said:
Sorry Stoo, but 10 minutes is the limit on youtube. Don't waste your time watching youtube videos that claim to show you how to get around it. I did a quick search which yielded these alternative sites/services, though I won't pretend to know their time limits. Other than that, if it has to be youtube, you are going to have to split it into two parts. Sucks, I know.
You should still post it on youtube anyway, I could see this thing going viral! It's too insane to be ignored by the masses.:cool:
Indy's brother, you wrote this over a year ago in another thread but I did manage to upload it to YouTube about 3.5 months ago. Luckily, YouTube raised it's limit to 15 minutes so I didn't have to split the video into 2 parts! Yeah!(y) It hasn't gone viral yet, though. Only 1,725 views on YouTube and 256 on Vimeo. Am I begging for hits? Umm, maybe...:p

For anyone who hasn't seen it, below is the new link. Tell your friends!:p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8bG9AbfwM

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
Indy's brother, you wrote this over a year ago in another thread but I did manage to upload it to YouTube about 3.5 months ago. Luckily, YouTube raised it's limit to 15 minutes so I didn't have to split the video into 2 parts! Yeah!(y) It hasn't gone viral yet, though. Only 1,725 views on YouTube and 256 on Vimeo. Am I begging for hits? Umm, maybe...:p

For anyone who hasn't seen it, below is the new link. Tell your friends!:p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8bG9AbfwM

SHAMELESS!!!

Stoo

Stoo said:
30 films were used.
Mistake. It's actually *31* films. I've been compiling footage to do a shot-by-shot comparison of the truck chase in "Raiders" and noticed that a title was missing from the list of films used for the 1st one.

2 shots of the plane in the air were taken from the serial, "The Phantom Creeps" (1939). Just in case anyone wanted to know.:)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Mistake. It's actually *31* films. I've been compiling footage to do a shot-by-shot comparison of the truck chase in "Raiders" and noticed that a title was missing from the list of films used for the 1st one.

2 shots of the plane in the air were taken from the serial, "The Phantom Creeps" (1939). Just in case anyone wanted to know.:)

I look forward to seeing your version of the truck chase.

(You're going to be spoilt for choice when it comes to the car going over the cliff!)

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
good cos its gonna b totaly awesomingly EPIC!!!!!!!!:p
Montana Smith said:
(You're going to be spoilt for choice when it comes to the car going over the cliff!)
No kidding, Smiff! Trying to choose what to use for that shot is proving difficult because there are way too many contenders!:eek: Lots of cars going over cliffs but I'm on the lookout for a jeep...Know of any?

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
good cos its gonna b totaly awesomingly EPIC!!!!!!!!:p

It's gonna be an epic win when da Innia Joans guy does all dat cool stuff! :D :) :cool: (y) :gun: :whip:

Stoo said:
No kidding, Smiff! Trying to choose what to use for that shot is proving difficult because there are way too many contenders!:eek: Lots of cars going over cliffs but I'm on the lookout for a jeep...Know of any?

Haven't seen a jeep yet. Just cars and one truck.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
It's gonna be an epic win when da Innia Joans guy does all dat cool stuff! :D :) :cool: (y) :gun: :whip:
no boubt smif its gonna b reely reely cool!!!!!! i mean like epicly cool!:gun:
Montana Smith said:
Haven't seen a jeep yet. Just cars and one truck.
Incidentally, I found vintage footage of the both the same jeep & truck from "Raiders" in the well-known, "World At War", documentary series.

Re: #of films...The shot of 'Indy' landing in the water was taken from, "Tarzan's Secret Treasure" (1941), but the original source is, "Tarzan, The Ape Man" (1932).

Montana Smith said:
Harumph!!

What a great project...can't wait till you stitch it all together! The adaptation is one thing but that would be a great film to tour...imagine the Q&A!(y)

AndyLGR

Stoo said:
the opening sequence which blew me away in 1981 and continues to do the same today.
Same here, yet I never realised how much of it was inspired was the old movies.

Really makes for great viewing, thanks for sharing it.

Montana Smith

I just figured out that it's possible to download your movie from Vimeo, so now I can watch it at leisure (again and again!) without having to think about my broadband usage limit.

Yore movie dat you made is an oresome epic! (y)

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Harumph!!

What a great project...can't wait till you stitch it all together! The adaptation is one thing but that would be a great film to tour...imagine the Q&A!(y)
"Harumph" to Montana? Why?:confused:

Thanks, Rocket.:) I would love to do the entire film but the opening of the Ark would be nearly impossible to duplicate shot-for-shot. Instead, I've decided to concentrate on sequences that are manageable. (I've got a long list from all 4 films with the motorboat chase from "Crusade" being the easiest!)

Touring the finished product would be interesting but it wouldn't hold a candle to what "The Adaptation" guys achieved. That said, I wonder what Spielberg & Lucas would think if they saw this?
AndyLGR said:
Same here, yet I never realised how much of it was inspired was the old movies.

Really makes for great viewing, thanks for sharing it.
My pleasure, Andy,:) The inspiration is clear but note that a few similarities were forced by cutting between different sources, flipping images & other editing tricks. While it's apparent that you are well educated in old movies, I'm reminded of a post from a certain someone who referred to my video:

Quote:
"Just as Indy was influenced by certain adventure serials. I mean, there's clips posted right here on The Raven of old adventure serials depicting fedora clad adventurers being chased by giant boulders, walls shooting arrows..."

Of the films I raided, NONE of them had walls shooting arrows/spears/darts. It just looks that way (and those clips weren't even from the serials so that guy was totally fooled and way off target). Not mention that clips of the "fedora clad adventurer being chased by a giant boulder" weren't from a serial, either.
Montana Smith said:
I just figured out that it's possible to download your movie from Vimeo, so now I can watch it at leisure (again and again!) without having to think about my broadband usage limit.
That's nice to know, Smiffy, and is quite the compliment.:) (You can also download it from YouTube.)
Montana Smith said:
Yore movie dat you made is an oresome epic!(y)
Im reely glad yoo tink so. Stay tooned for Innina Joans wit da truck!;)

InexorableTash

Stoo's project was featured on BoingBoing and io9 today.

Interestingly, the link was via http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/2012/01/01/raider-of-the-lost-lawsuits/ which gives it as an example of how Big Media's War on Culture affects derivative works. No, not Stoo's use of clips, but Lucas and Spielberg's homages.

If Jungle Jim's copyright holders were on the ball they could have made some pretty penny off the whip swing in Last Crusade.

Anyway, welcome to the "BoingBoinged Club", Stoo!