EditDroid laserdisc of raw Indy footage?

briguy328

Around 1990 or so, I visited the University of Southern California, as I was considering applying for their film school.

They had a Lucasfilm laserdisc-based EditDroid editing workstation set up there, along with at least one laserdisc labeled as being Raiders footage. My impression was that it was some sort of a training disc.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is my 36-year-old brain so addled that I might be making this up?

I would kill to see 30 minutes of raw Raiders footage, and have no idea why I've waited until now to pursue this.

Can anyone help me out? Just confirmation that there really is such a laserdisc would make me feel better ;)

Thanks,
Brian

JerryKing

I would, ahem, abandon all hope, ye who want raw Indy. George Lucas has days, if not weeks, of various Star Wars footage, the whole fabled "Lost Cut" of the first Star Wars (and maybe even an original master of "The Holiday Special"... :D), and yet he has no plans of showing any of that to anyone outside the Ranch. With Indy footage, it's probably even less probable... Especially since Spielberg has half of control over Indy, which means the chance of this being seen are even less likely, considering that he blocked e.g. the inclusion of deleted scenes or any decent extras in the Indy box set...

briguy328

To be clear, I'm not looking for a commercial release of this footage.

Primarily, I want to know if someone with EditDroid experience can confirm the existence of such a disc.

If I find out it likely really does exist, then I'll start torturing myself with hopes of seeing it someday ;)

Thanks,
Brian

Deco

If you wait around long enough, your questions get answered.

Not sure which discs you saw at USC but I do know that there were some discs made from dalies from "Temple of Doom". We used them for demos and training on the Droid. These discs wound up at the ranch where I worked with them.

Unknown if these were shots that landed on the "cutting room floor". What is interesting about these is that you can hear Spielberg's off camera direction.

If the discs still exist are are still in the hands of LFL, they are probably in the archive building on the ranch.

briguy328

Wow...thanks for the response.

I sure think it was labeled as "Raiders" footage specifically, but I could certainly be wrong, eighteen years later ;)

If you can hear the off-camera direction on the discs you saw, that's just the sort of thing I'd give my (insert something preposterous here) to see!

If anyone has access to one of these discs, please, please, please hit me up.

I'll make it worth your while, one way or another! (y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Last year a long-lost Return of the Jedi editing laserdisc showed up on eBay. Also the Last Crusade Japanese documentary allowed a peek into the editing room. All these alternate takes and deleted scenes are stashed away, somewhere.

micsteam

Also, a few months back I uploaded all my 1980's media coverage of LC on Youtube which also has some deleted scenes in it like the spiders scene when Indy is crossing the floor puzzle. My channel is palmbeachautosports :hat: