The Adventures of Tintin

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I noticed. But then again, I'm not American. :p

Actually, there was concern that Australians wouldn't really pick up on the movie but I don't understand how that could be true considering that every school and local library I've been to has always had a Tin-Tin collection alongside Garfield and Asterix. They even used to have the tv series on when I was a kid and used to watch it religiously. And if it doesn't have a big enough following, usually TV here dumps it pretty quickly.

adventure_al

Montana Smith said:
This isn't a film that could drag me back into a theatre after twenty years of of cinematic abstinence.

I doubt there's any film that could do that.

Tintin aside for a second.

That is very sad. You are sorely missing out (n)

Montana Smith

adventure_al said:
Tintin aside for a second.

That is very sad. You are sorely missing out (n)

I just don't see the point of paying to see a film once at a given time, when I can buy it later for peanuts to watch as many times as I like.

If I don't like it I can just get my peanuts back. ;)

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
hergc3a9s-cameo.jpg

It was! Unfortunately it probably slipped past 95% of its North American audience.
Violet said:
I noticed. But then again, I'm not American.:p
Bravo to you both!:) For fun, here's a role-reversal: Tintin painting his creator!

TintinHerge.jpg

adventure_al

Montana Smith said:
I just don't see the point of paying to see a film once at a given time, when I can buy it later for peanuts to watch as many times as I like.

If I don't like it I can just get my peanuts back. ;)

The experience! Particularly in the proper old school cinemas.

There is a great wee old place in York, thats only 3 bucks to get in and sells a bottle of beer or popcorn for around £1.50 each!

Im so glad Ive seen Indy at the cinema (re-screening as was too young first time round) and I tell you some films are just not the same on the small screen (no matter how big your TV!)

Add to that the social aspect... few drinks food before hand... the chatter immediately afterwards about your thoughts on the film... it all adds to the enjoyment imo.

Montana Smith

adventure_al said:
The experience! Particularly in the proper old school cinemas.

Are those the ones where you stick to the floor if you don't move your feet frequently?

adventure_al said:
Im so glad Ive seen Indy at the cinema (re-screening as was too young first time round) and I tell you some films are just not the same on the small screen (no matter how big your TV!)

Add to that the social aspect... few drinks food before hand... the chatter immediately afterwards about your thoughts on the film... it all adds to the enjoyment imo.

Being anti-social I prefer the full surround sound experience in the comfort and privacy of home. Controllability and no running commentary from audience members. Like the pillock who, during the night-vision basement scene in Silence of the Lambs, kept shouting out in a quavering voice, "No! No! No!" as Buffalo Bill crept up on Clarice Starling!

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Are those the ones where you stick to the floor if you don't move your feet frequently?

Being anti-social I prefer the full surround sound experience in the comfort and privacy of home. Controllability and no running commentary from audience members. Like the pillock who, during the night-vision basement scene in Silence of the Lambs, kept shouting out in a quavering voice, "No! No! No!" as Buffalo Bill crept up on Clarice Starling!

Ah, yes, I despise folks like that. I sympathize with your preference for home theater over public theater. I still go to the multiplex though, just because I'm so impatient to see everything. OCD sure stinks...:rolleyes:

Stoo said:
Just watched this on a plane yesterday and enjoyed it.

Some of the animation was so well done that, at times, I forgot I was watching CGI characters (ex. the opera singer) and the rendering of all the clothing was simply jaw-dropping. All the action scenes were over-the-top in zaniness but it didn't detract from the fun and, while it was strange to see booze play such a prevelant role in a kid's film, I'm glad they didn't change the alcoholic aspect of Captain Haddock.

One nice touch was the caricature artist's sketch of Tintin at the beginning. Great tip o' the hat to Hergé.

If Spielberg & Jackson make another, I will be watching.

As will I. It was a damn fun film, wasn't it? Sigh, why can't more blockbuster flicks be like this?

HenryJunior

Tin Tin Question

Just watched Tin Tin tonight and I thought it was fantastic! I do have a question, If you recall when Haddock and Rackham are having a fight on the Unicorn (in flashback), a trail of lit gunpowder keeps getting extinguished and re-lit building tension during their sword fight. I know for a fact I read the summary of that exact same gun powder gag and it was going to be used in an Indy Film.

Has anybody else noticed that, or know which Indy project it is because I can't remember where I read it.
Thanks!:hat:

Finn

Staff member
HenryJunior said:
I do have a question, If you recall when Haddock and Rackham are having a fight on the Unicorn (in flashback), a trail of lit gunpowder keeps getting extinguished and re-lit building tension during their sword fight. I know for a fact I read the summary of that exact same gun powder gag and it was going to be used in an Indy Film.
First of all, try to keep from opening new threads when there're existing ones on the subject, especially if it is simply to present a small curious question such as this. Threads merged.

Second, the bit you refer to was present in the second Jeffrey Boam rewrite in the Last Crusade script. There was to be a big fight at the film's climax where the Brotherhood was trying to prevent anyone from acquiring the Grail by blowing up the temple. It was here the gag was supposed to take place.

HenryJunior

Yeah I should of looked for a Tin Tin thread first, sorry about that.
Thanks for the answer, and sorry for having to merge the threads.:)

Le Saboteur

Found this posted over at imdb.com: The Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun. I've been unable to find confirmation of this, but using this book as part of the inevitable mashup sends our hero and Captain Haddock to South America, Dr. Jones' old stomping grounds!

Considering the differences between Jackson & Spielberg, it'll be interesting to see what Peter Jackson will do with a period-esque Peru.

Of note: If you're a Netflix subscriber, and you liked the movie, you might like to know that the 1991 teevee series is available on Instant View; as are the 1960's animated movies -- The Lake of Sharks, Prisoners of the Sun, and The Calculus Affair.

Dig Empire Mag's brief feature too!

Tintin-movie.png

Montana Smith

Montana Smith said:
It is, however, one of those films, that will be picked up when the DVD's already been discarded by a first-purchase viewer.

Mission accomplished yesterday, with exchange of 75 of Her Majesty's pennies.

Okay, Snowy, I'm only doing this for you.

snowy_a.jpg

I know, boy, it's a dangerous mission, but it's got to be done.

Montana Smith

It?s a style that takes a while to get used to. Real but not quite real. Cartoon but not quite cartoon. The scenery and machines often work much better than the people and their clothes.

So, twenty minutes in I'd begun to accept the people.

Actually started enjoying it up until the ?plane crashed in the desert. After that boredom and the fast forward button kicked in.

The dull slapstick typical of Hergé's storytelling. The ever idiotic Thompson and Thomson.

Apart from the pretty pictures there were a few highlights. Snowy, of course.

And Haddock?s line:

?And I?d steer clear of Mr. Gitch. Sacked as a shepherd on account of his ?animal husbandry?.?

(Probably more directed at Snowy, seeing as he looks a little like a lamb).

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
It?s a style that takes a while to get used to. Real but not quite real. Cartoon but not quite cartoon. The scenery and machines often work much better than the people and their clothes.

So, twenty minutes in I'd begun to accept the people.

Actually started enjoying it up until the ?plane crashed in the desert. After that boredom and the fast forward button kicked in.

The dull slapstick typical of Hergé's storytelling. The ever idiotic Thompson and Thomson.

Apart from the pretty pictures there were a few highlights. Snowy, of course.

And Haddock?s line:

?And I?d steer clear of Mr. Gitch. Sacked as a shepherd on account of his ?animal husbandry?.?

(Probably more directed at Snowy, seeing as he looks a little like a lamb).

Ah, dammit. I was really hoping you might love this one. It does pretty much everything that KOTCS did, but much better. Oh well. ;)

Montana Smith

The following quote is a particularly harsh review of the film, though I would personally put far more of the blame on Hergé himself.

Spielberg and Jackson did the best they could with the scant material. And in fact they improved the usual lack of humour by inserting a sheep-shagging joke into a PG film. Presumably this wasn't a jibe against the Welsh, but at New Zealand born Peter Jackson.

Onwards and downwards:

http://thereddragon.co.uk/the-adventures-of-tintin-the-secret-of-the-unicorn-movie-review

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Because it's a really good read. Don't know if it's going to be around forever, as it's a new site.
Please read that statement again and then imagine what this board would look like if everyone acted the same way. If you think it demands a backup, you save it on file and repost only if it goes down and there's still a demand for it.

That's how normal people do these kind of... sorry, nevermind. <small>The guideline stands regardless.</small>

Besides, linking is one of the oldest recognized conveniences of hypertext. Uncle Finn recommends reading some Ted Nelson.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Please read that statement again and then imagine what this board would look like if everyone acted the same way. If you think it demands a backup, you save it on file and repost only if it goes down and there's still a demand for it.

That's how normal people do these kind of... sorry, nevermind. <small>The guideline stands regardless.</small>

Besides, linking is one of the oldest recognized conveniences of hypertext. Uncle Finn recommends reading some Ted Nelson.

Whatever you say, Uncle Finn.

Red Dragon's review was deceptively long. I anticipated it would be two posts before I copied it. By then I'd already reformatted the text. :eek:

Finn

Staff member
It's all good now. After all, I found nothing wrong with it contentwise. I may not agree with everything it said, but found it an entertaining read regardless.