2009 Indiana Jones Lego

Trennas

Crack that whip said:
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom wasn't merely largely ignored with the first batch; it was totally ignored. I think they really weren't planning on doing any specific sets from that particular movie, until the stuff they did was so well received and people also immediately started clamoring for ToD sets.

Silly me! I know that TOD was completely ignored, but because I mentioned it in the same sentence as TLC the meaning sort of screwed up.. Blame it on sleep, or lack thereof :sleep:

Anyways, I do hope that the Lego Indy line keeps doing so well as it's doing now. It's easy to come up with a whole bunch of iconic scenes for all four movies, and heck, if they want to go really crazy, they can always start digging into Indy games.. I mean, who wouldn't want to see the Atlantean God Machine mutating those poor mini-figs into horrible demons? (y)

Crack that whip

That'd be great! I'd also really love to see sets based on the TV series, though I'm not holding my breath on those. But we'll see...

Though it's not even December 2008 yet, lots of the LEGO sets for 2009 are already showing up on store shelves now; I've seen the entire initial Pirates wave, plus some of the new City, Creator and general building sets at my own local Toys 'R' Us. Has anyone seen Shanghai Chase or Fight on the Flying Wing anywhere yet?

Trennas

I think they have so many options for the normal Indy movie sets that, I seriously doubt they would make sets based on the tv series.

I haven't seen any of the new lego appear on shelfs here in the Netherlands yet, and I keep a regular eye out for those. Also, they aren't even mentioned on the official website, or at least I wasn't able to find them very easily..

Crack that whip

Trennas said:
I think they have so many options for the normal Indy movie sets that, I seriously doubt they would make sets based on the tv series.

So do I; I'm just saying I think it'd be nice to see. :)

Trennas said:
I haven't seen any of the new lego appear on shelfs here in the Netherlands yet, and I keep a regular eye out for those. Also, they aren't even mentioned on the official website, or at least I wasn't able to find them very easily..

They're not on the site yet. They're officially designated as 2009 releases, so it might be a few weeks before they're officially announced on LEGO's sites; however, they are indeed turning up already on store shelves, at least in the US. It was reported a few weeks ago the new Pirates sets showed up at the Imagination Center LEGO Store at Walt Disney World (in conjunction with a Pirate building event, in fact), and since then I've personally seen most or all of the new Pirates sets, plus several of the other sets shown in this Brickshelf gallery, at my own local Toys 'R' Us store. I have not seen the new Indy sets yet, but I've seen a whole bunch of Pirates sets, plus several new City, Racers and Creator sets from that page, so I imagine it can't be much longer before I see those two new Indy sets as well.
:D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Trennas said:

Almost certainly, but then again, who knows along this particular series might run? As much as I'd love it, no way we're getting a lecture hall, complete with Eaton and my man Musgrove. (Not that you were suggesting we would.)

Trennas

Maybe not, but I might be able to imagine Indy's messy boiler room office and classroom complete with Marcus Brody for a set, though I think Lego would certainly be more interested in something a bit more action oriented :hat:

Crack that whip

Indeed they would, but I'm hopeful his involvement in much of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade's action will mean we eventually get an official Marcus Brody minifig, perhaps in a set for the tank.

Where's the "Indy with fingers crossed" emoticon when one needs it?

Trennas

It's being made up as it goes along ;)

I agree there are PLENTY of scenes they can take from Temple and Crusade; the tank just being one of them! I'm also hoping that Sallah will make a Lego appearance eventually :)

Trennas

I doubt it, since he was nowhere to be found in the speedboat chase in the film. With Indy, Elsa and a few Brotherhood guys, having an additional Marcus would be a bit too many minifigs.. though the amount of minifigs does seem to depend on the size of the Lego set..

My guess is that there won't be a Marcus minifig unless they make the Grail Temple..

fixer79

Trennas said:
My guess is that there won't be a Marcus minifig unless they make the Grail Temple..

Or the German tank! Brody was in that!
I'm pretty sure that'll be one of the next sets. I mean, it's a pretty iconic scene!

What I wonder is if they'll ever make the zeppelin...
Personally, I doubt it. They can't put on the swastikas so it'll basically be a huge white structure... It won't be a pretty sight on a LEGO box...

Trennas

oh right the tank! My god, how could I have forgotten about that! The shame! As punishment I shall have to watch Crusade again (y)

Lego made a zeppelin before, for their oriental adventures line I think, though that wasn't a german zeppelin :p

fixer79

Trennas said:
oh right the tank! My god, how could I have forgotten about that! The shame! As punishment I shall have to watch Crusade again (y)

Lego made a zeppelin before, for their oriental adventures line I think, though that wasn't a german zeppelin :p

Now I'm ashamed! I totally forgot about the 'LEGO Adventurers' Zeppelin... You're absolutely right!

Here it is:

display.cgi

Of course, it did have the Adventurers logo and a face on it so that it wouldn't be all white. They can't do that with the Last Crusade Zeppelin...
Also, it's quite small...

What I had in mind was how they depicted the zeppelin in the LEGO Indy game. It was entirely made out of white LEGO plates and much bigger then the Adventurers zeppelin.

Still... I guess they could use the Adventurers Zeppelin... It's probably the best way to do it. It wouldn't be as big as people would expect it to be, but it would look better on a box then the huge, white version featured in the video game.

Oh well... Time wil tell how LEGO will handle it. I'm sure they come up with something... :)

Crack that whip

For maximum play value at a certain piece count / price point, I think they might represent the zeppelin with just the passenger compartment and ignore the rest of it, since it'd be just a bunch of bricks assembled into a huge structure that would inflate the cost of the set without actually adding a lot of play features. Fans interested in more fully representing the entire structure could always fill in the rest with bricks from their own parts inventories if interested.

I could see Marcus being in the Venice chase set, since he is at least in Venice in the movie, not too far away from the chase when it takes place, and licensees have often played around with the factual particulars of a scene in order to get a certain desired play value or whatever out of a toy. LEGO's own Well of the Souls set (Indiana Jones and the Lost Tomb) includes both Marion and the Ark of the Covenant, even though the Ark had been lifted out by the time Marion was thrown in in the movie (if there'd been a Sallah minifig in the set, it would've been ideal for representing all the scenes in the Well from the time Indy first descends into it to the moment he breaks through the wall with the statue), and of course lots of the KotCS sets take all sorts of liberties with the narrative (presumably at least in part because the movie was still being made as the sets were designed, and things changed along the way, but other aspects simply combine different scenes into sets to get the most mileage out of a set, for example).

At any rate, we'll see what's in the new sets soon enough, and assuming the line continues to do well, it might go a few more years, in which case I think we'll get lots more stuff from all four movies represented in various sets. They might well even redo certain scenes, locales, vehicles, etc., just as they have with their other Lucasfilm license.

Trennas

i looked up the zeppelin again and it is indeed quite small.. one could always make it in scale, with a smaller cabin and tiny planes underneath, but the downside of that would be that the minifigs wouldnt fit. still, it would make a fun diorama addition :)

indeed, we'll see where Marcus and Sallah will appear (or if they will appear at all..) Lego's Well of Souls would have been perfect for Sallah, but well, we got Marion. Which is not a bad thing, but now there are two sets with Marion and none with Sallah :rolleyes:

I pray to kali that this line will continue to do well; may she cut off the heads of anyone who dares to cancel it (y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
If we ever get the library, be it with or without catacombs (that would actually end up needing to be a fairly substantial set), we'd likely get Marcus then. I could conceive of that as a third year set, possibly. We haven't gotten a larger one for Crusade yet (unlike each of the three other films), and its either that, the Grail Temple, or Castle Brunwald. While the castle's got a fair number of trap-esque bits (the stairway, the fireplace), something makes me not expect to see it as the large-scale set; more likely we get the burning hall with the fireplace as a medium-sized set.

Trennas

Good thinking Attila; I hadn't even given any thought to castle Brunwald yet, but it has many, many options for Lego indeed! With the stuff they have these days they could even make the sinking round stairs :)

Trennas

Neato! I hope they will start to appear here soon as well, but I have high doubts about that.. when it comes to new stuff (no matter what), the Netherlands always seem to be waaaaay behind on the States (n)