Toy Fair Coverage

MaxPhactor23

Shemp said:
If it's that last Wave though, I would expect the least amount of figures, since by September, younger children might foreget about Indy, and move on to a new craze.

Well thats just it, it's not the last wave. It's supposed to continue past the initial 30 figures.

drwynn

Uh...

I've kept quiet to this point...but, since I've been posting like a madman in other threads, why not this one too?

It kind of irritates me that Hasbro has waited this long to produce a line of "quality" Indiana Jones collectibles. They call Indiana Jones a "Long-term franchise" in their presentation. If that's how they "feel" then, why did they wait this long to start making the line? Because a new film is on the way and it's a "safe" move on their part. Less risk for them because the hype for the film ensures a decent return on their investment.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but, us die-hard Indiana Jones fans have been clamoring for year for Indy figures and the only reason half of these companies (Gentle Giant, Diamond Select, Sideshow Collectibles, Hasbro, etc.) are producing stuff now is because it's "safe". But, because they're all releasing a flood of items this year...it's going to be REALLY difficult for serious collectors like me to get EVERYTHING we want and for a decent price. Oh well...I guess I should just be glad that the products are on the way and I'll have an opportunity to get them.

Having said that; the Hasbro 12-inch line looks extremely disappointing. From what I've seen from the pics at Toy News International, the hat and bullwhip for the "Indy With Idol" figure are ridiculous; a vast improvement over the 1981 version, to be sure...but, I was hoping for a lot better. The proportions on the figure aren't that great either. I'm glad Sideshow Collectibles is making a version I'm going to be proud to own.

Regarding the 3 3/4 inch line; I hope that they don't just do the four lines they're planning on releasing this year. There are so many wonderful characters from the series...so many different outfits for the main characters. I'm just hoping they go the line of "Star Wars" and continue to expand each quarter. I'm just worried that some of the characters I want to see won't be made (Marcus Brody, Chattar Lal, Wu Han, Lao Che, Vogel, Donovan, etc.). Anyways...I'll try to stop rambling now...

drwynn

MaxPhactor23 said:
Well thats just it, it's not the last wave. It's supposed to continue past the initial 30 figures.

Thanks. If that's indeed the case, you just helped assuage a lot of my fears for this line!

tnswman

drwynn said:
I've kept quiet to this point...but, since I've been posting like a madman in other threads, why not this one too?

It kind of irritates me that Hasbro has waited this long to produce a line of "quality" Indiana Jones collectibles. They call Indiana Jones a "Long-term franchise" in their presentation. If that's how they "feel" then, why did they wait this long to start making the line? Because a new film is on the way and it's a "safe" move on their part. Less risk for them because the hype for the film ensures a decent return on their investment.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but, us die-hard Indiana Jones fans have been clamoring for year for Indy figures and the only reason half of these companies (Gentle Giant, Diamond Select, Sideshow Collectibles, Hasbro, etc.) are producing stuff now is because it's "safe". But, because they're all releasing a flood of items this year...it's going to be REALLY difficult for serious collectors like me to get EVERYTHING we want and for a decent price. Oh well...I guess I should just be glad that the products are on the way and I'll have an opportunity to get them.

Having said that; the Hasbro 12-inch line looks extremely disappointing. From what I've seen from the pics at Toy News International, the hat and bullwhip for the "Indy With Idol" figure are ridiculous; a vast improvement over the 1981 version, to be sure...but, I was hoping for a lot better. The proportions on the figure aren't that great either. I'm glad Sideshow Collectibles is making a version I'm going to be proud to own.

Regarding the 3 3/4 inch line; I hope that they don't just do the four lines they're planning on releasing this year. There are so many wonderful characters from the series...so many different outfits for the main characters. I'm just hoping they go the line of "Star Wars" and continue to expand each quarter. I'm just worried that some of the characters I want to see won't be made (Marcus Brody, Chattar Lal, Wu Han, Lao Che, Vogel, Donovan, etc.). Anyways...I'll try to stop rambling now...

Ok, you can NOT blame Hasbro..Until this line was formed, LUCAS would ONLY allow Hasbro to make Indiana Jones Figures for Disney ( The 1st set of toys was made by applause ).

so, there is your answer.. Hasbro stated many times in the past that they were trying to get the rights to Indiana Jones.

However, BE GLAD it is now. Now is the time when the sculpting / painting/ packaging / and marketing is at it's BEST!!

Perhilion

These all look sooooooo cool! The temple of Akator Lego set looks really interesting. I wonder what's with the 3 skeletons sitting around the table.

Shemp

Does anyone think that they've done some re-sculting to the temple exterior? I have the Mustafar set, and there's basically nothing on the other side. Think they'll be an interior of the temple as well?

drwynn

tnswman said:
Ok, you can NOT blame Hasbro..Until this line was formed, LUCAS would ONLY allow Hasbro to make Indiana Jones Figures for Disney ( The 1st set of toys was made by applause ).

Well...color me misinformed and wrong.

I'm not too proud to admit when I am...:)

Billy Ray

And, who does everyone think is coming out from the LC and TOD waves? My picks for LC would be Elsa, Brody, Henry Sr, Vogel, Donovan, and the Grail Knight.
As for what I thinks to come - I?d same Elsa, Donnovan, Grail Knight, Vogel and Henry Jones Sr. are givens

According to the Toyfair Indy Preview at WizardUniverse, wave 3 will include "Henry Jones Sr., Elsa, the Grail Knight and Young Indy, played by River Phoenix!" (y)

Katarn07

tnswman said:

I'm not doubting you, but where'd you hear that?

I'm kind of glad that it took this long. Otherwise, we would have gotten some toyish looking things like the earlier Star Wars figures of the '90s (that Hasbro is seeing the need to remake to look more realistic). I'm not saying they'd be as bad as Disneys, but think of the Power of the Force 2 line that kicked things off again for SW in '95. They're chests are huge. Even C-3P0 is ripped! The stuff they make nowadays is much better.

tnswman

deckard24 said:
Probably because it's considered the least favorite of the 3 films! In order of fan appreciation, Raiders comes first most likely followed by LC then TOD. I'm assuming their taking this same approach with the toys.

Ohhh, TOD is going to be AN EASY sell for HAsbro...and a HARD find for us.. There are too many GREAT looking characters for that set. People like the darker stuff.

tnswman

Katarn07 said:
I'm not doubting you, but where'd you hear that?

I'm kind of glad that it took this long. Otherwise, we would have gotten some toyish looking things like the earlier Star Wars figures of the '90s (that Hasbro is seeing the need to remake to look more realistic). I'm not saying they'd be as bad as Disneys, but think of the Power of the Force 2 line that kicked things off again for SW in '95. They're chests are huge. Even C-3P0 is ripped! The stuff they make nowadays is much better.

That's just the history of Hasbro telling fans the same thing for years....EVERYTIME they were asked.. After Hasbro absorbed Applause, they took over the disney line.

deckard24

tnswman said:
Ohhh, TOD is going to be AN EASY sell for HAsbro...and a HARD find for us.. There are too many GREAT looking characters for that set. People like the darker stuff.
I hope you're right, but I don't think so!

People might like the darker stuff, but the least favorite film in any series usually has the least profitable toyline. Yeah action figures back in the day were a different ballgame, but Indy never did well back then, especially the TOD line by LJN.

IMO the most profitable of all the film's toylines will be KOTCS! Kids will want to play with figures from the movie they just saw ie. a Mutt or Indy, not necessarily a Chatter Lal, Lao Che, or Maharajja figure. I hope I'm totally off, and kids go nuts for all the lines. But if that is the case, all the parents out there who will be buying these toys as B-Day and Christmas presents, better get the family together for a Saturday triple feature!

I'm remaining skeptical for the time being, but like I said, I hope I'm wrong!

tnswman

deckard24 said:

People might like the darker stuff, but the least favorite film in any series usually has the least profitable toyline. Yeah action figures back in the day were a different ballgame, but Indy never did well back then, especially the TOD line by LJN.

IMO the most profitable of all the film's toylines will be KOTCS! Kids will want to play with figures from the movie they just saw ie. a Mutt or Indy, not necessarily a Chatter Lal, Lao Che, or Maharajja figure. I hope I'm totally off, and kids go nuts for all the lines. But if that is the case, all the parents out there who will be buying these toys as B-Day and Christmas presents, better get the family together for a Saturday triple feature!

Of course KOTCS will make more ..they are going to make more toys. TRUST me.. When TOD hits, it will be HARD as HELL to find those figures.. by then the completists will be at work as well then wit hKids, moms, casual buyers, and US...there is going to be a rough time. Hasbro will cut back the amount of figures it makes AFTER the KOTCS series. Not by that much, but enough.

Hasbro LOVES having Major character figures on the pegs.. That's why they pack in so many VADERS, LUKE, HAN...You HAVE to think of all of the toy lines.. collectors ( and Kids) LOOOOVE the bad guys / dark side of things... TOD figures will be a GREAT addition to that passion.

We just have to convince Hasbro to make a TOD playset.

tnswman

deckard24 said:

Deck....YOU can NOt compare the old Toy lines to the new lines....Please read up on hte history of why the series failed and you will find it was NOT lack of Demand. There has NEVER been a lack of demand...Just look at the disney figures. Do you see ANY recently action figure that retails for $8 sell CONSTANTLY for $30-$60 ( 1st series figure) ?

To look back at the past and say that TOD failed totally misses the entire point of why we are at the stage we are at today.

What people Hate about TOD is NOT the Temple action parts..and THAT is what Hasbro will focus on first. I bet a LUNG on my prophecy.

deckard24

tnswman said:
Deck....YOU can NOt compare the old Toy lines to the new lines....Please read up on hte history of why the series failed and you will find it was NOT lack of Demand. There has NEVER been a lack of demand...Just look at the disney figures. Do you see ANY recently action figure that retails for $8 sell CONSTANTLY for $30-$60 ( 1st series figure) ?

To look back at the past and say that TOD failed totally misses the entire point of why we are at the stage we are at today.

What people Hate about TOD is NOT the Temple action parts..and THAT is what Hasbro will focus on first. I bet a LUNG on my prophecy.
But a lot of the new Disney figure selling so well, has to do with the new film coming out! Die-hard collectors are the ones paying $30-60 on eBay, not moms and dads for their kids.

I'm just really skeptical that kids will want to have figures of obscure Indy characters, that aren't very play-worthy! I mean what 6 year old wants a Marcus Brody, Belloq, Monkey Man, Arab Swordsman, Chattar Lal, Wu Han, Maharaja, Lao Che, Donovan, Captain Blumburtt, etc.. Die-hard completist collectors, absolutely... but little kids...I'm not so sure!

You're right, there is not a lack of demand. But that demand is coming once again from serious collectors, who don't make up enough of the market to make a line this extensive profitable. Little kids have to be factored into this, and that's where the serious money will come from.

Metalinvader, the TOD line by LJN was really tough to find back in the day, not to mention there was only 3 figures...that's it!

Shemp

metalinvader said:
Wasn't the old LJN line really hard to find back in the day?I swear I read that here.

I know many people saw adds for a Short Round and Willie figures, but they were never released, so people spent much time searching for them in stores. As for the actual figures, I don't think they were too hard to find, now a days though, the price is high if one rarely pops up on eBay.

metalinvader

Shemp said:
I know many people saw adds for a Short Round and Willie figures, but they were never released, so people spent much time searching for them in stores. As for the actual figures, I don't think they were too hard to find, now a days though, the price is high if one rarely pops up on eBay.

I'm aware of the history,I was just wondering if the figures were as widly available as the Kenner figures.Since I was born in '82 I totally missed out on these lines,Thus seeing these figs at retail is slim to none.I didn't get my first Indy fig till '89 which was a hand me down from my Cousins,A nice Map room Indy.I've still got it till this day.

Last edited: