China Discovered America First?

Stoo

DiscoLad said:
Which one sounds better to me.
"Christopher Coumbus, respectable explorer, discovers today's North America"
or
"Random china man and his crew lost an achor, dropped scrap metal, and scurried back to Asia after stumbling upon today's North America"

Bias but what the hell, What are you going to do?
I'll pray to G_d that you never become a teacher/professor of history.:rolleyes:
Indy's brother said:
By that logic I "discovered" Gatlinburg, Tn 5 years ago, ya know?
Ha ha! Nice one.:) I discovered Plattsburgh, New York in 1984 and Guelph, Ontario in 1991.:p

Montana Smith

columbus-cartoon1.jpg

The Drifter

Columbus may not have discovered the Americas. But, he did open it for the Europeans of that time to sail over here and settle. It depends on your own views if that was a good or bad thing.
So his mistake was a great gain for those involved after a few decades.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Drifter said:
Columbus may not have discovered the Americas. But, he did open it for the Europeans of that time to sail over here and settle. It depends on your own views if that was a good or bad thing.

I mean, it was a good thing <I>and</I> a bad thing, or maybe just, quite simply, a thing that happened, an event, with ramifications ranging from smallpox to settlements. There'd be a vastly different history if it weren't for Columbus, that's for sure, even if he didn't know what he'd actually found. (Although, obviously, somebody would have gotten over to the Western hemisphere from the Eastern sooner rather than later, even if it didn't happen in 1492.)

The Drifter

Attila the Professor said:
I mean, it was a good thing <I>and</I> a bad thing, or maybe just, quite simply, a thing that happened, an event, with ramifications ranging from smallpox to settlements. There'd be a vastly different history if it weren't for Columbus, that's for sure, even if he didn't know what he'd actually found. (Although, obviously, somebody would have gotten over to the Western hemisphere from the Eastern sooner rather than later, even if it didn't happen in 1492.)

Yes, I think that it had tons of negative effects to the Native-Americas and even to the ecosystem/wilderness when the Europeans arrived. But, I can also find some pros in it as well.
It just depends on who you ask, but one can't deny the facts (like the smallpox, the annexation of the Native-Americans, etc).

And, yes. Sooner or later some country would have been exploring these coastal waters and happen upon the Americas, and the same thing would have most likely happened. One can't blame Columbus, he just made a mistake in finding a trade route to India. It would have happened regardless.

Stoo

DiscoLad said:
... Indeed.
"Indeed", indeed!
DiscoLad said:
What's this... Indeed business.
Say something substantial and people won't make fun of you. You're killing your own thread. It ain't rocket science.:gun:
DiscoLad said:
Which one sounds better to me.
"Christopher Coumbus, respectable explorer, discovers today's North America"
or
"Random china man and his crew lost an achor, dropped scrap metal, and scurried back to Asia after stumbling upon today's North America"
Why is Chris Columbus a "respectable explorer" but a "random china man" is not?:confused:

DiscoLad

Stoo said:
"IndeedWhy is Chris Columbus a "respectable explorer" but a "random china man" is not?:confused:

Think about that one, friend.

Which one sounds more respectable.
-Christopher Columbus
-Random China man.

:)

As for adding something substantial. I've made more words than the past three "Indeed" posts combined. :D