Backyard Expeditions

JRJENNINGS86

What are some of the cool "things" or places you like to visit in your own home town? do you have the largest cow with three heads? giant ball of yarn? or maybe one of the most beautiful cave systems? what you got going on?

Ohio: The Serpant Mound, Clifton Gorge, Fun Zoo's, lots of awesome mountain biking trails, Wright- Patt Airforce Museum

HovitosKing

There's a small mill town (though the paper mill is now closed) about 20 miles from here that I went to last weekend just to explore. It's kind of a 50's-esque town (Franklin, VA) with very small population, old school drug store with fountain, antiques store, etc. Quaint but definitely not a tourist attraction, just a small town from decades past that dried up after the mill closed. Maybe saw 25 people the whole afternoon. That was kinda cool, and not your typical day adventure.

Last edited:

HovitosKing

JRJENNINGS86 said:
Ohio: The Serpant Mound, Clifton Gorge, Fun Zoo's, lots of awesome mountain biking trails, Wright- Patt Airforce Museum

On a side note, I've actually spent a little time at Wright-Patt AFB proper, but didn't see any signs of alien autopsies or hidden UFO parts. If you're in the Dayton area, you should check out Jungle Jim's just north of Cincinnati in Fairfield.

Billy Ray

I'm from San Antonio, so first and foremost would be the Alamo. There are also seveal other old Spanish missions in the area to visit. San Antonio has a few really nice museums like the Witte Museum, the Texas Ranger/Pioneer museum (they have one of the guns used to kill Bonnie and Clyde on display), and the Insititute of Texan Culture.

In the surrounding area there's Naural Bridge Caverns, which is a pretty extensive cave system, Enchanted Rock State Park, and the "Snake Farm" (I have never visited...just like Indy, I HATE snakes!).

Within a day's drive there's lots of other stuff including Langtry TX (home of the famous Judge Roy Bean), Bracketville (where they filmed John Wayne's Alamo), Corpus Christi (they have the USS Lexington Museum, which is a WWII aircraft carrier), the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco (much larger than the one here in SA).

There's tons of other stuff of course, Texas is a big place, just tried to keep this somewhat Indy related and close to town.

Billy Ray

HovitosKing said:
On a side note, I've actually spent a little time at Wright-Patt AFB proper, but didn't see any signs of alien autopsies or hidden UFO parts. If you're in the Dayton area, you should check out Jungle Jim's just north of Cincinnati in Fairfield.

LOL, that's because the alien bodies are buried here in San Antonio, at Randolph AFB. It's either them or radioactive monkeys that were from the real ife Project-X, depending on which urban myth you choose to believe;)

JRJENNINGS86

HovitosKing said:

huh? what is Jungle Jims?