Only saw a few episodes, but...

oki9Sedo

....much as I found them very entertaining, isn't young Indy a bit of a wimp? I found it hard to believe that this guy would be the grizzled, chiselled action hero of the films.

Case in point: there was an episode I saw years ago which featured Charles de Gaulle, and it had them escaping from a prison. Indy is stopped by some police officer looking for his papers, and Indy gives him the gayest, most girly, most pathetic little kick to the shin I've ever seen.

oki9Sedo

DarthLowBudget said:
Yeah, because people spring out of the womb as action heroes.

Of course action heroes don't spring out of the womb like that, but do you think 18-year old Dirty Harry would complain about breaking a nail in a fight?

Another example was when you see him wrestling with a soldier in a trench before their little scuffle is broken up. Again, the Indy of the movies would have just floored him with one haymaker, he wouldn't have rolled around in the dirt with him Brokeback Mountain style.

Taint

ClintonHammond said:
The Young Indy tales weren't made to be good story telling... They were made so Lucas could play with technology.

Clinton, there is no new technology used in that series, I dont think it had much to do with technology at all because there is minimal effects throughout. I dont watch them either though because they taint my own perfect image of Indy's youth which is nothing like how George imagined it.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I think the Phantom Menace (?) bonus DVD shows how Lucas experimented digitally with YIJC: adding scenery, multiplying WWI regiments, etc.

Well, I actually didnt know that, that is interesting. I stand corrected. Im glad Lucas only tinkered in it though,its not obvious like Episode 1, we could have ended up with a CGI Indy and Jar Jar as his sidekick. Few!!:cool:

Exactly, even the effects at the end of Raiders is much more effective and believable than any thing done with CGI today,except for maybe Lord of the Rings, I like the old school effects like Jim Henson style in The Dark Crystal,that to me is better than alot of the CGI today. Van Helsing gave me an ill feeling from so much of it. Changing the subject: I have to say though that I did enjoy an episode of young Indy every once in awhile but watching every episode was overkill for me, almost as though there s no way young Indy did all of that in one life time, the adventures to me are stronger if there isnt so many of them.

It's been months since I looked, but when I did they were all (or mostly) there...

If I'd saved them I'd been happy to burn 'em for ya... but they were taking up room on my hard drive that was better used with nothing on it.

Dr.Sartorius

oki9Sedo said:
....much as I found them very entertaining, isn't young Indy a bit of a wimp? I found it hard to believe that this guy would be the grizzled, chiselled action hero of the films.

Case in point: there was an episode I saw years ago which featured Charles de Gaulle, and it had them escaping from a prison. Indy is stopped by some police officer looking for his papers, and Indy gives him the gayest, most girly, most pathetic little kick to the shin I've ever seen.

I agree. I rented Treasure of the Peacock's Eye recently and thought to myself, "This has all the elements of a great Indy adventure but something's missing..."

I think Lucas was right when he said it's mostly Harrison Ford's charm that make the Indy movies work.

Finn

Staff member
ClintonHammond said:
If I'd saved them I'd been happy to burn 'em for ya... but they were taking up room on my hard drive that was better used with nothing on it.
Somebody posts a music clip and you go all ape with copyright stuff and now this?

'Nyway, to all participating in this discussion... I couldn't care less of this, but somebody out there might, so keep it at the theoretical level, will ya?