Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Morning Bell

The Tingler said:
I'm at the piano level.

Sigh. Now I see what everyone's on about. Is there anything in particular I have to do, or just survive?

And why the hell do I suddenly get killed with one shot?!

You basically just have to move the piano around and hit each Nazi. Eventually the pattern becomes obvious and it gets easier, although this is one area where clunky controls really ruined a level for me. The crane is far too sensitive and I could never get the piano to go where I wanted.

The Tingler

The proper cutscenes are still missing, but at least the PSP version has linking narration by Indy, which really goes some way to making up for it.

The only downside is that the levels are all very brief affairs, the Sudan doesn't make an appearance and the exclusive "Young Indy" level is just a copy-and-paste of a section of a later level in the game.

Apart from that, it's pretty good.

And as mentioned I'm the piano level, so I'm becoming slightly hostile towards the Wii version now!

My main problem is that if you don't swing it right, the piano isn't high enough to hit the Nazis when they're more than half-way up the ladder.

indyjones2131

Yeah that damned piano took me about 20 times to get right.

I just put the piano between the first two ladders and shifted it back and forth, never chasing an approaching enemy.

Then if I missed on, I'd put the piano between the second to ladders and went back and forth there in the same way.

Not easy, but it worked.

indyjones2131

SigmaEcho said:
Okay, I just finished the Wii version of SoK a couple days ago and spent most of yesterday reading this thread to gauge other people's reactions. I was desperate to A) see if everyone else was feeling the same disappointment as I was and B) try and find out if the other versions of the game are any better. I'd like to thank indyjones2131, IAdventurer01 and DocWhiskey for their great insight & comments, I agree with almost everything you guys have said. I haven't posted on theRaven since I beat ET years ago and looked to the community for some constructive criticism with the hope that someone at LucasArts would be listening, take note and learn from their mistakes.

First off, it's really hard to critic the game when LucasArts/A2M can't even deliver a finished product! The Wii version is CLEARLY MISSING most of the cinematics, and the ones that are there are pretty terrible. Where's the Story/Characters/Dialogue/Plot?!?! :mad: I could have at least ENJOYED the game if the cutscenes had been finished. Why didn't they get the company that did the game trailer to do a pre-rendered opening cinematic? That would have helped the game IMMENSELY. They should have put those big bucks INTO THE ACTUAL GAME instead of into the marketing! I know most gamers [and even game developers!] don't seem to appreciate narrative in games, but I personally think (as does GL!) that it is ABSOLUTELY VITAL! I couldn't ever get into SoK because I had no idea what was going on, where I was going or why. If the game had started with a great opening cinematic, it would have immediately sucked me into the game, and I would be able to not only enjoy the game more, but be far more forgiving of its flaws. It's the single most important factor for me, not only for immersion but also just general enjoyment. So the Wii version of SoK feels like a big slap in the face in that regard. Especially since in the promos, they made a big deal about how hard they worked on the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufpNXfrXjf8

and then they didn't deliver. I would rather have waited another year and have the finished game than to have this mess. From what I've been hearing, it sounds like the PS2 version has the same few cut scenes as the Wii version. Can someone confirm this? But it looks like the PSP version actually has all the cut scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0GQFAsQUO0&videos=E5bU_IRAbr8&playnext_from=TL&playnext=1

I'm seriously considering buying a PSP to play this version (and the Metal Gear Solid PSP games I've always wanted to play). Can someone who's played both versions compare the story experience for us?

And even if the game HAD been finished, it's clear that they still arn't even trying to have a balance of Action and Adventure! Once again, they've focused ENTIRELY on the action and there isn't really any adventure game elements to be found. THEY STILL JUST DON'T GET IT!!! :mad:

There was NO exploring - the whole game was linear! At least SOME of the levels should have been open world levels! There were No Items/Inventory/Weapons! There were No NPCs/Dialoge sequences! Unforgivable for a game that was in development for 6 years! They made TWO Knights of the Old Republic games in less time and both of them had STAGGERING amounts of both! And was anyone else bothered by the fact that the few "treasures" were just floating glowing fedoras? You had to go into the menu to see what it really is! The treasure hunting in this game is reduced to walking into a floating glowing thing at the end of a corridor. That is really perfunctory. The treasures should actually be HIDDEN, and the game should have enough depth to give us some back story on the treasure, since without the back story, it's not interesting AT ALL. That's what makes it a treasure in the first place. Otherwise, might as well just have Indy collecting gold coins Mario-style. (n)

There were no alternate ways to progress - the game is exactly the same every time! In some of the shooting sequences, there was no way to kill all the enemies - you had to shoot something in the environment - and there was never any indication other than you continually dieing till you figure it out. This is just game design 101, there's no reason it should be so linear - there should be alternate ways of advancing, as well as alternate endings.

The puzzles were horribly cliched - they were all pushing switches and pulling levers! Why not clues, dialog, mystery, - actual thinking involved? The Istanbul level was the worst, I really wish the level had been an exploration level where you gather clues and find items and talk to NPCs. That would have been fun as hell, instead of a pulling-levers level that I feel like I've played a thousand times. (n)

I don't want to be all negative, they did do some things right:

The music was great. But was there any original music? I didn't recognize every cue, so I was guessing that there was some original music in there, especially the repetitive tracks that looped over and over.

Running/Jumping/Swinging/Climbing were never a problem, Indy always did what I wanted, which is a huge change from the last two games where I spent hours just falling down cliffs because the controls sucked. (y)

Most of the levels, sets and locations were pretty damn great. The Panama level was a welcome relief and really helped me get through the game. And there was the perfect amount of supernatural elements - just a little at the end - no Frankenstein or aliens and no end level inside an alternate dimension. It was wonderfully Indy-esque. (y)

I REALLY got my hopes up with SoK, and as a result I think it hurt all the more. It was a combination of waiting 6 years, KotCS being a disappointment, and just taking for granted that each game should naturally be better than the last. When I heard the game was canceled, I was REALLY pissed off, more so than if they had never made KotCS. But then when the Wii version was announced with so many features, I let my guard down. So who do I direct my anger at? The economy? A2M? LucasArts Game Designers? LucasArts Managers?

It's pretty clear that LA really did make changes because of the economy, and did prioritize Force Unleashed and basically sold off SoK for parts, as has been speculated. But this is certainly NO EXCUSE, since there are countless other game companies that haven't had to compromise, and I keep seeing extremely high-quality games come out every week.

And I don't blame the game designers at LucasArts, either. I can glimpse the great game that they were TRYING to make (especially the epic finale, which was like a light at the end of the tunnel), and they obviously were not given the resources to finish the game that they had planned on making. My guess is these guys are always made to focus on some star wars game and have to work on games like these on the side.

So I blame the managers at LucasArts. Staff of Kings was a disaster, and there's simply no reason that it had to end up this way. And this is only the latest in a long stream of mediocre games. I expect better from Lucas products and there's no reason why everyone has to settle for less. And this really isn't at all about fan service, it's about QUALITY. There's MONEY to be made from a quality Indy game, but every time they release another shoddy product, it makes it vastly harder the next time to reach a wider audience. :(

I expect George Lucas to fire these people who are hurting his franchise, his brand and his company.

satchel_avatar.png

Well said. The Indy name deserves so much more than this. Rough coupla years for Indy looks like.

And I know Lego Indy is popular and all, but I just don't get it. I want a proper Indiana Jones game.

jones3d

SigmaEcho, you must put your message in the LucasArts official forum too in case you haven't done that. With big luck, someone at LA will listen.

The Tingler

I think there's a layer of marketing/PR managers between George Lucas and the President of LucasArts, who are the ones that forced out Jim Ward, fired most of their internal development staff, appointed Darrell Rodriguez and cancelled Staff of Kings because it was taking so long.

They were extremely unhappy that both Indy and The Force Unleashed didn't come out 2007, blamed Jim Ward for making them late, forced him out and made LucasArts go back to the corporate market-men-run nightmare they became after Simon Jeffery unexpectedly left.

I'm ecstatic that LucasArts are remaking Monkey Island and allowing Telltale to make a new one, but that'll never quite forgive what they've done to Indy.

I'm enjoying both the Wii and PSP versions, but no way are either better than any of the other major Indy games, nor are they worth the six-year wait.

dr.jones1986

indyjones2131 said:
Yeah that damned piano took me about 20 times to get right.

I just put the piano between the first two ladders and shifted it back and forth, never chasing an approaching enemy.

Then if I missed on, I'd put the piano between the second to ladders and went back and forth there in the same way.

Not easy, but it worked.

its funny because on the PS2 this part isnt that hard.

Robyn

Morning Bell said:
You basically just have to move the piano around and hit each Nazi. Eventually the pattern becomes obvious and it gets easier, although this is one area where clunky controls really ruined a level for me. The crane is far too sensitive and I could never get the piano to go where I wanted.

Finally I'm not the only one who's having trouble with that stupid freakin piano!! I HATE this part! Thanks for the tip!

The Tingler

dr.jones1986 said:
its funny because on the PS2 this part isnt that hard.

Not surprising, because it's mostly the overly sensitive motion controls that makes it so frustrating.

Why can't the piano reach them if they're halfway up the ladder? Why can they kill you with one hit? What does blowing up that machine with the arrow on it do?

If I can't do this tonight, I'm going to have to give it a terrible review based entirely on my experiences in this level. It's tainted the entire game.

The Tingler

Hmm. This level might not actually be possible for me. It requires not smashing my Wii into a thousand pieces while screaming my head off "no, you never have hit Nazis with a piano before, and now we know why! You're f***ing c*** at it!!" If you did get past this level, you must have the absolute patience of a saint.

"I've got to hit every Nazi" you say? Well, duh. That's the trouble. The piano won't hit them. It's either too low, too slow, stuck on the scenery, or clipped right through them. I can't even stay on the back two ladders and swing it left and right, they're not level with each other.

How the hell did any Wii owner actually do this level!?

Arab Swordsman

The Tingler said:
Hmm. This level might not actually be possible for me. It requires not smashing my Wii into a thousand pieces while screaming my head off "no, you never have hit Nazis with a piano before, and now we know why! You're f***ing c*** at it!!" If you did get past this level, you must have the absolute patience of a saint.

"I've got to hit every Nazi" you say? Well, duh. That's the trouble. The piano won't hit them. It's either too low, too slow, stuck on the scenery, or clipped right through them. I can't even stay on the back two ladders and swing it left and right, they're not level with each other.

I tried to focus on the back two ladders as long as I could by just moving the piano right and left and limiting my up and down movement. If one of the Nazis lowered the front ladder I then just moved my focus to the front ladders and continued with the side to side movement.

RaidersoftheArk

I have the PS2 version since i use the ps3 much often. I am actually suprised by the game. IT really does have a indy vibe. OKay it is no next gen quality,but the game play is various and there are really neat indy qoutes. Also the game is more puzzle based and has a much more adventure look than ET which i enjou (especially Panama temple) People should really listen to the story as Indy is chashing Kingston and comes to find the staff of moses, but okay the story is not that great as the movies but it is much more indy than ET but not better.

Robyn

The Tingler said:

It's hard as heck on the ps2 verson as well, I'm stuck on it!! I was cussing at the freakin screen the other day, stupid piano!!:mad:

The Tingler

Somehow, somehow I managed it.

It's not too long really. I'd nearly finished it several times before.

Rule 1: Keep calm. Don't get cross, keep a level head. This is the hardest part. If you get too annoyed, walk away and try later. You don't even have to turn your Wii off.
2: Stick between two ladders. If possibly try to keep to the top two, but if one soldier gets up there move to the nearest two.
3: Just swing between these two ladders. Unless you see a soldier go to a particular side, stay in the middle at all times.
4: Try and learn the pattern. They mostly come to the left side, but try and keep to the middle.
5: If you don't get them first try and they start to climb, try and rub the ladder forward and back with the piano. And hope.
6: Hope the controls actually work. It responds really well, but it's easy if annoyed to lose control and push them too far. This is why Wiimote Waggling doesn't really work - it relies too much on us to stay in control!!

Hate is such a strong word...

What should be a fun game was just done so poorly...
As big a fan as you may be, wait til it's in the $14.88 in at Target in a few months.

dr.jones1986

metalinvader said:
I'm pretty much convinced that the dreaded piano level is this games "Von Beck's Revenge".

that sequence was much more difficult...though still not to bad( i have ET on xbox)

I think the toughest part is the planatarium in Panama...i beat it on my first try and havent been able to do it again since...what is the deal with that puzzle?

What is driving me insane are the simple things...simple things that should not been an issue, like cut scenes that advance the story, so i don't need to click through a journal (which should be more straight forward,I shouldn't need to point, click a, b repeat to get through it) For god's sake the enemies have a HEATH BAR, according to the manual, pg 7...the bad guys die when their chocolate coated toffee bar is gone...
Repetition is bad, the non-skipping cut scene and instruction scenes are annoying. let me hit a button to continue, I seen this scene 20 times!
I'm stuck because I do what is shown on the screen when the Chinatown chick is walking across my whip, but every time I just fall into the electric water...so I need to rinse, lather repeat the gun level (which is annoyingly repetitive) just to get electrocuted AGAIN.

It's a game...a game I paid $45 for...it's supposed to be fun, and is more annoying than anything.

reverendB

The Tingler said:

OK, this made me laugh out loud. This is actually me. I've gotten really, really pi...upset at the game, let loose a string of expletives, and turned the damn thing off. In fact, that's what I've done the past 2 nights. I don't even want to play it tonight. Still irritated. But Tingler, I had to pop on and say thanks for the laugh, man. Cheers!

Johnny Nys

I was really stuck in the Istanbul mausoleum. I'd pushed the statue down and was moving the block around all over the place, but no matter where I pushed it I just couldn't climb it. I jumped down into the abyss out of frustration, then when the level reloaded and I tried it again, the block suddenly "jumped" from where I was pushing it to a little bit to the left and back to lign up with a ledge, and then I COULD climb it! First glitch I noticed.

Panama planetarium is weird, yes. Tried stepping onto the floor buttons but all they did was make the boulders run in the other way. Then they'd hit me. Didn't have any effect while I was waiting for something to happen. Then when I reloaded after twelve times or so, I simply ran from button to button in one continuous motion. Suddenly the boulders stopped and the door opened.

I have to do the elephant now. Shooting AND ducking at the same time? This is going to take a while ...