The Dark Knight Rises

JP Jones

The Trailer

Hmmmm. I'm a little torn on this trailer. I love seeing the masquerade, a catwoman that lives up to expectations, the newly rebuilt Wayne manor, and an utterly amazing BANE!, but there are some things on the trailer that come close to dealbreakers.

First, the football antics. It's just so out of place in what I hope to be a tride and true BATMAN movie. Hpoefully the big earthquake will make a little more sense within the context of the actual film.

Secondly, where's Batman? He gets about 2 seconds of screen time in the whole thing. It's really hard to get in the mood for a batman movie when you don't even see batman (or at least in his natural stealthy noctural state).

I did get a first glimpse at the Bat-Wing, a strange, but incredible replacement to the "pod". Again, however, I Hate:mad: that that snow scene was filmed in the day, it doesn't look right, and it seems like a wasted opportunity to make something really Bat-like.

In all, Bane is the thing that is absolutly SCREAMING Batman at this point, catwoman has that potential too, I just need to see some action scenes that do the same thing. Still excited, but just a bit offput by the new trailer.

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
I know... but it was fun while it lasted!

Too true. Next stop for Ward is Canton. And if you look at the Steelers, they have been rebuilding on the fly -- getting younger and hopefully better.

As for Dark Knight Rises, I wonder if it really has something to say on class and the socio-economic divide -- which will have to be a first for a major tent pole release, in an election year no less. Contrast with Spielberg's comments on Lincoln.

. . . and I can't stand Hathaway.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I don't know Nolan's politic, nor Batman's Bruce Wayne. There's always been a Hollywood D.C. connection that we laypeople can only speculate about.

I would be very disappointed if Nolan took the pop culture route. He weaves very tight stand alone stories. If he brings in OWS and socio-class politic, that is beyond the scope of Gotham, I'll be sorely disappointed.

We do have to remember what Waynes father said in Batman Begins:

BRUCE: Did you build this train, Dad?
THOMAS: Gotham's been good to our family, but the city's been suffering. People less fortunate than us have been enduring very hard times. So we built a new, cheap, public transportation system to unite the city.

That scene was written/filmed PRE 2005, before the 'real' mess actually became mainstream. So if he is making a commentary, I hope he ties it, back to that train ride and not the events of our present day.

WillKill4Food

Pale Horse said:
I would be very disappointed if Nolan took the pop culture route. He weaves very tight stand alone stories. If he brings in OWS and socio-class politic, that is beyond the scope of Gotham, I'll be sorely disappointed.
I don't expect outright references to OWS, but like you I think that Gotham's history of class inequality carries over from Begins. Since several of the actors working on the film have praised how Nolan "brings the trilogy full-circle," I imagine it probably will be tied in with that.

On the topic of Batman and politics, there's a reading of The Dark Knight that sees it as a sort of allegory of Bush's handling of the "War on Terror." Like that administration, Batman engages in torture and uses his status a protector to justify violating the privacy of Gotham's citizens to catch a terrorist:

Batman: Beautiful, isn't it?
Lucius Fox: Beautiful, unethical, dangerous: you've turned every cellphone in Gotham into a microphone.
Batman: And a high-frequency generator-receiver.
Lucius Fox: You took my sonar concept and applied it to every phone in the city. With half the city feeding you sonar, you can image all of Gotham. This is wrong.
Batman: I've got to find this man, Lucius.
Lucius Fox: At what cost? ... This is too much power for one person.
Batman: That's why I gave it to you. Only you can use it.
Lucius Fox: Spying on 30 million people isn't part of my job description.

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
I don't know Nolan's politic, nor Batman's Bruce Wayne. There's always been a Hollywood D.C. connection that we laypeople can only speculate about.

That scene was written/filmed PRE 2005, before the 'real' mess actually became mainstream. So if he is making a commentary, I hope he ties it, back to that train ride and not the events of our present day.
Not to mention that the script for this upcoming movie was finished way before the "occupy movement" started. I think it will just be a carry over coincidence.

Indy Scout 117

Indy Scout 117 said:
if Joey King is playing the young Talia al Ghul, that MUST mean that Marion Cotillard is playing the older Talia al Ghul!!!! (y) (y) (y)

i knew it!!!!!!!!

how do you know that the **** arent just a side effect of taking one to many dips in the Lazarus Pit for Ras?

oki9Sedo

Pale Horse said:

It would appear to me that The Dark Knight Rises will have a narrative thread thats an allegory of the banking/economic crisis and class division, just as The Dark Knight had a thread that was an allegory of the War on Terror.

I think saying its taking the pop culture route is the wrong way of putting it - that implies that these themes resonate with modern audiences only, and will not resonate in the future. Its true that they resonate MORE with the audiences at the time of release than in the future following their release, but they will still resonate in the future. Recession and terrorism are timeless themes.

Its hardly like the Scary Movie films featuring Signs or "WAZAAAAAAAP!!" references which resonate for about a year.

Dr. Gonzo

kongisking said:
Viral Marketing has begun...

Click on the folder to begin!

Figures I'd be the one to post this...:p

Hell, I'll one up you even though I could give less of a damn about this.
That viral campaign ends with this. via slashfilm. I still can't get over Hathaway being in this... why?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g8evyE9TuYk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Gonzo said:
I still can't get over Hathaway being in this... why?

I hear yah on that. (n)

I also cant get over the ever-changing Gotham skyline. CGI monorails, Chicago, Pittsburg...doesnt "realistic/dark'n'gritty" demand some consistency?(n)

at least they amped up the sound on Bane for this trailer (y)

kongisking

featofstrength said:
I hear yah on that. (n)

I also cant get over the ever-changing Gotham skyline. CGI monorails, Chicago, Pittsburg...doesnt "realistic/dark'n'gritty" demand some consistency?(n)

at least they amped up the sound on Bane for this trailer (y)

Yeeeeeeeaaaaahhhh...that does sorta bug me too. The changing skyline, I mean.

But yes, I love Bane's voice now. Terrifying how when he talks in this trailer, his dialogue booms from the speakers, especially when you are wearing headphones...like me. ;)

And why does everyone hate Hathaway, again? Did I miss the memo?* personally, I find her a likable, cute lady in interviews and such, though admittedly have not seen her in much.

*Yes, I was quoting one of Begins' best Brick Jokes...

JP Jones

It's been a while since I've last posted about this film, but in that time I saw TDK again, and I'll say the third time was definitely the charm. I stopped looking at the sets and scenery, which I'll say still don't live up to Begins, and started looking closer at what the story actually reveals.

Anyway, the action, the story, Two-Face; I liked them all dramatically more this time around, and now would put TDK in my top 15 favorite films ever!:D

That brings me to this new film. I just saw the making of featurette and I'm very concerned. The whole vibe seems to be "up the ante again". Now I loved the epicness of TDK, but trying to top that... I don't know if that can end well. Nolan seems to be trying to make this the film to end all films. In his words, "more a war or disaster movie". Is it so much to simply ask for a Batman movie? I feel like the spirit of Batman will be lost in the hype and scale.:(