Childhood experiences of the movies?

oki9Sedo

I was eight when I saw the Indiana Jones trilogy on video for the first time, and I remember loving every second of each one.

I actually found Raiders much scarier than Temple of Doom though - Satipo's face after being impaled, the blood spatter when Indy shoots that guy in the Raven, Marion being overwhelmed by the skeletons in the Well of Souls, the Nazi symbol being burnt off the Ark's container in the ship, the faces melting when the Ark is opened.....I thought all of those were far scarier than anything in Temple of Doom.

I didn't find the heart ripping scene scary, I just thought it was disgusting.

IndySeven

When I first saw Raiders when I was 9, during all of the snake scenes, my mom covered my eyes.

That sucked!!:)

deckard24

I can honestly say I wasn't frightened by the Indy movies at all! Jaws on the other hand is a different story. I saw Jaws inadvertently when I was maybe 4-5 while my older brother, sisters, and cousins watched it. The same happened with Psycho, American Werewolf in London, and The Excorcist. After seeing Jaws it wasn't a lot of fun having to take a bath, going swimming in a pool or the ocean on vacation, and going to sleep at night with 25 ft great whites circling under the bed! My bed became the Orca or God forbid little Alex Kitner's inflatable raft, lol.

As for Raiders, that was just pure excitement. After all Indy looked strangely like Han Solo who was my hero then, and the fact he wore a leather jacket like my Dad's and a fedora like my Grandfather was just too cool. Plus the guy had a whip which he used to swing across chasms with, and every 6 year old boy likes to swing from whatever is available (usually the livingroom curtains which made my Mom very happy). The fact that Kenner also had made toys to go along with my new found hero was a bonus. My Star Wars collection was modest but still my prized possessions, and now I could recreate the truck chase, the map room scene, or the streets of Cairo in the basement or backyard.

ToD was another Indy movie I had to wait and see on Beta because even though I was old enough, the fact it was PG-13 was enough of a reason to not take a then 6 year old. I know I could've handled it, lol. LC was the first I got to see in the theaters, and that was amazing! I'd never seen an Indy movie on the big screen before, only on a pulldown projection screen at a resort in upstate NewYork on vactions. I used to hijack the projector, and boy were the elderly patrons of the resort surprised when they came in to find Raiders and Jaws instead of On Golden Pond.

All in all, as for most growing up in the late 70's and early 80's the holy trinity of Jaws, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones was a massive influence on my childhood and one I hope to pass on to my kids whenever I have any! One thing is for sure, they'll be getting a kickass collection of Indy and Star Wars toys along with an official Indiana Jones fedora fit for an 8 year old's noggin!

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
I can honestly say I wasn't frightened by the Indy movies at all! Jaws on the other hand is a different story. I saw Jaws inadvertently when I was maybe 4-5 while my older brother, sisters, and cousins watched it. The same happened with Psycho, American Werewolf in London, and The Excorcist. After seeing Jaws it wasn't a lot of fun having to take a bath, going swimming in a pool or the ocean on vacation, and going to sleep at night with 25 ft great whites circling under the bed! My bed became the Orca or God forbid little Alex Kitner's inflatable raft, lol.

As for Raiders, that was just pure excitement. After all Indy looked strangely like Han Solo who was my hero then, and the fact he wore a leather jacket like my Dad's and a fedora like my Grandfather was just too cool. Plus the guy had a whip which he used to swing across chasms with, and every 6 year old boy likes to swing from whatever is available (usually the livingroom curtains which made my Mom very happy). The fact that Kenner also had made toys to go along with my new found hero was a bonus. My Star Wars collection was modest but still my prized possessions, and now I could recreate the truck chase, the map room scene, or the streets of Cairo in the basement or backyard.

ToD was another Indy movie I had to wait and see on Beta because even though I was old enough, the fact it was PG-13 was enough of a reason to not take a then 6 year old. I know I could've handled it, lol. LC was the first I got to see in the theaters, and that was amazing! I'd never seen an Indy movie on the big screen before, only on a pulldown projection screen at a resort in upstate NewYork on vactions. I used to hijack the projector, and boy were the elderly patrons of the resort surprised when they came in to find Raiders and Jaws instead of On Golden Pond.

All in all, as for most growing up in the late 70's and early 80's the holy trinity of Jaws, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones was a massive influence on my childhood and one I hope to pass on to my kids whenever I have any! One thing is for sure, they'll be getting a kickass collection of Indy and Star Wars toys along with an official Indiana Jones fedora fit for an 8 year old's noggin!

You saw The Exorcist when you were 5? Crikey. I know someone who saw A Nightmare On Elm Street when they were about that age, and he still has bad memories of that film.

As for hijacking the projector, you should have put Shaving Ryan's Privates up. You thought their reaction was funny seeing Raiders, imagine that!

deckard24

Shaving Ryan's Privates, if I had my hands on a copy of that there would be some serious eyebrow raising, lol!

Yeah, my brother and sisters would watch all those movies in the early 80's and if I was around it was usually "Don't come in here!" or "Don't tell Mom!". I saw a lot of movies I wasn't supposed to like: Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Texas Chaisaw Massacre, etc... This was the benefit of having older siblings who would have friends over when they were babysitting me, and I was supposed to be in bed. I would creep around the corner or watch from between the bannister poles on the staircase! Yeah, I warped my mind at a young age, lol!

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
Shaving Ryan's Privates, if I had my hands on a copy of that there would be some serious eyebrow raising, lol!

Yeah, my brother and sisters would watch all those movies in the early 80's and if I was around it was usually "Don't come in here!" or "Don't tell Mom!". I saw a lot of movies I wasn't supposed to like: Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Texas Chaisaw Massacre, etc... This was the benefit of having older siblings who would have friends over when they were babysitting me, and I was supposed to be in bed. I would creep around the corner or watch from between the bannister poles on the staircase! Yeah, I warped my mind at a young age, lol!

I remember being scared sh*tless by the head coming out of the boat scene in Jaws. Whenever I'd watch that movie on video when I was small I'd fast forward past that part, which would be awkward because unless I looked at the screen as I was doing it I'd go too far, and if I did look at the screen I'd see it (still scary in in fast motion!).

deckard24

The head of Ben Gardener coming out of the boat did scare me as a kid, but what frightened me more about that scene was the music and the lights in the water around Hooper's boat. I always found that terrifying as he got into the water and every thing was a murky yellowy green color.

However, the scene of the guy in his rowboat in the estuary getting his leg bitten off, remains the scariest scene in the entire film to me. Whenever I see the ghostly image of the shark on his side, gliding towards the man as he clings to the side of the overturned boat I get goosebumps. Creepy, creepy stuff and evidence of Spielberg's amazing filmmaking abilities. The fact he was 28 and made Jaws is mindblowing!

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
The head of Ben Gardener coming out of the boat did scare me as a kid, but what frightened me more about that scene was the music and the lights in the water around Hooper's boat. I always found that terrifying as he got into the water and every thing was a murky yellowy green color.

Absolutely. For me it was the music that plays as the head comes out, and the close up of the head with one of the eyes gouged out and that horrible, deathly expression on his face.

However, the scene of the guy in his rowboat in the estuary getting his leg bitten off, remains the scariest scene in the entire film to me. Whenever I see the ghostly image of the shark on his side, gliding towards the man as he clings to the side of the overturned boat I get goosebumps. Creepy, creepy stuff and evidence of Spielberg's amazing filmmaking abilities. The fact he was 28 and made Jaws is mindblowing!

I found the second shot even scarier, where you see him clinging on to the boat with blood in the water all around him, and the shark almost has an expression of bloodlust in its eyes. It almost looks evil.

That film really pushed its PG certificate, even more so than Raiders. The fountain of blood spurting when the Kitner boy is being killed, Quint spitting up blood, I don't know why it wasn't an R.

But yeah, its a testiment to his abilities that he made that film at such a young age. And he's continuing to do excellent films, which should give us all the more reason to have faith in Indy IV.

deckard24

You're right I should probably say the entire sequence is the scariest in the film! The realistic look they were able to create with "Bruce" the mechanical shark in that scene is pretty phenomenal. Even when he's completely out of the water and pulling the guy down, it still looks real. The film is a testament to Spielberg's prodigious talents, and in my opinion puts him right up there with the greats like Hitchcock. The funny thing is that scene and the one with the little Kitner boy were edited because they were too intense. I can only imagine how they would have pushed the rating envelope with those scenes in their original entirety. Apparently, in the Kitner boy scene the shark was going to come out of the water behind him and then crash down on top of him like in the novel. On the Shark is still Working documentary yet to be released on DVD, they apparently show some never before scene footage of that scene and of the unedited estuary scene. I really hope that movie gets its studio backing soon, so it will see the light of day. If you haven't Oki, check out the sharkisstillworking.com!

Blue Jay

I first saw the movies when i was in grammar school, i was about 11 years old.

I only owned tod on vhs. But I knew the other ones as well.

A teacher from my school visited all his students at our home and introduced himself to the parents etc..., he knew my parents because my older brother was a student of him before.
Anyway, i played indy with a selfmade costume that day and he got interested in the movies. After i went to bed, my parents gave him tod to watch without really thinking about all the scary scenes. the movie was kind of Rated R in Germany. :sick:

After he saw the movie, a real scandal in my school broke loose, because an eleven year old was allowed to watch this movie. :eek:
Because of indy i was the center of attention in my school ;)

today this is just a great memory, but i am still making fun of my parents :gun:

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I was about eight or nine when we had a big gettogether with about ten different families at a friends house. His teenage son turned on Last Crusade and from that time on I was hooked.

It wasn't until I was sixteen, though, that I saw Temple of Doom. My folks had seen it in theaters and had been throughly freaked out by it. One day I borrowed the movie and smuggled it into the house...while it didn't freak me out, it did lead me to discover the fact it was the worse of the Indy movies made thus far.

I suppose when I start having children of my own, they will be exposed to Indy at a fairly young age. First with the YIJC and then the movies (when they are old enough)

Although I think it's the lesser of the three films I really have a soft spot for 'Temple of Doom' as it was the one I started on when I was about nine.

I can recall my parents watching 'Raiders' sometime after that and saying that they were glad 'the kids' hadn't watched it and I wondered what I had missed. It took quite some time before I realised it was another Indiana Jones film and sat down to watch it.

Then came 'Last Crusade'. I never got to see it in the theatres as, at eleven, I would have needed somebody to drive me to town to see it and it was PG-13. I think I saw it on cable the next summer and from then I was pretty much hooked.

So it goes... I watched the movies countless times, read anything related to Indy that I could get my hands on and had an unfortunate tendency to weather a leather strap around my wrist that had INDY stamped into it next to a snake and a pistol. Kinda sad, huh? :)

Indy fan 235

I first saw Raiders on VHS one night at my aunt and uncles. From the very beginning I was hooked, and when it ended, I turned to him and asked if I could watch it again. An Indy fan was born that day.

Saw Temple of Doom in the theatre. Was my last day of 3rd grade. Came home from school and my mom took my brother, sister and I to see it. I was so excited, ran around the house screaming and pretending I was Indiana Jones.

Last Crusade came out when I was graduating the 8 grade (Catholic school, wasn't really called junior high). The summer before my freshman high school year. Came out around my birthday and I saw it on opening night, and 5 times more that month.

My first trip to Disney World was also in 89 and when I went to MGM I saw the Indy Stunt Show. I had seen a commercial for it on Tv that Spring, and getting to actually see it for myself was amazing. Bought my first fedora right after and wore it the rest of my vacation.

I'm looking forward to my next Indy experience for part 4.

Niteshade007

Raiders of the Lost Ark my dad owned on VHS, so I can remember watching that several times. I can only remember seeing Temple of Doom once at my Grandma's house. The only part that I can remember is the dinner scene and the part where the man who attacks Indy is hung on the fan. I did see Last Crusade in theaters, but I was a little more than a year old, so I obviously don't remember it. My parents say that they had to take me out of the theater though because I was throwing a fit. Apparently, I didn't like the movie even then. I'm looking forward to seeing Indy IV though, and finally being able to sit through one of the films during its original theatrical release.

Viper

My only "childhood" memory is when I was around 4 or 5 years old, Dad and Grandpa were watching LC, and I was playing with my Legos, I distinctly remember making an airplane as Indy was dangling from a bunch of letter tiles....

Matinee Idyll

I was too freakin' terrified to watch Donovan disintegrating until I was about 12. All I heard were the sound effects * shivers *

jeshopk

The whole experience of seeing the first 2 in theatres was quite awesome. I remember what I was thinking at times, still, when I rewatch them. I remember thinking at the beginning in the jungle that Indy had a clear plastic bag over a cloth jacket instead of leather (that was why it shined.) I remember being sad when Indy was back in a suit at the end (because he was not adventuring). I remember getting home and falling asleep on my Star Wars pillowcase, dreaming about the movie.

Blue Jay

Matinee Idyll said:
I was too freakin' terrified to watch Donovan disintegrating until I was about 12. All I heard were the sound effects * shivers *

Me too! I was to afraid to watch this. That was the only scene in all the movies, that almost made me push the fast forward button.
I was not really scared by the heart ripping scene, i just thought that it was disgusting.

Matinee Idyll

Heh, yeah - I sat through Temple of Doom without squirming.

Yet in LC, when Donovan starts gasping... freaked me right out.

"What... is happening... to meee?"

AndyLGR

I saw Raiders when I was about 11 in 1984.

I remember every Saturday when we used to go to watch our local football team (Stoke City) he?d stop off at the video shop on the way home. There were loads of video rental shops about at that time as video players were new and all the rage. We got The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders on video to watch, I think they were the first films we ever hired.

I?d already seen Empire (my all time favourite film) but I couldn?t believe what an action packed film Raiders was, I?d never seen anything like that. I think I got him to hire it as often as possible after that.

I saw TOD in 85 when my dad managed to get a bootleg copy on video. I was disappointed initially by it because it didn;t have as much action as Raiders.

I think it was 1985 that Raiders was premiered on TV in the UK on Xmas night, that was a major event in the UK.

LC was the first of the tirlogy I saw at the cinema when I was 16. I thought it was a big improvement on TOD and captured the spirt of Raiders.