Jurassic Park

Short Round

I believe the original Jurassic Park is the most underrated film of all time. It has great directing,sets,acting,storyline, and dialogue. Here you can discuss anything Jp including:

1) Please post any news you have about JP IV.
2) Who do you want to be in it? I want:
1. Sam Neil (although I know he's no returning)
2. Jeff Goldblum
3. Richard Attenborough
3) Since it is so controversial among JP fans: Which one is better JP 2 or 3?
4) What are the things you thought were great in JP 1 and what are the things you thought weren't so great?

deckard24

Funny you posted this today Short Round because I just bought Jurassic Park on DVD for the first time today. I have a list of close to a hundred DVDs I've been hoping to acquire at some point, and I've been slowly knocking them off one at a time. FYE had Escape from New York for $3.99 and Jurassic Park for $9.99, so I just couldn't resist! I went in looking for The African Queen, and came out with those two! I agree JP is underrated, and is a great action/thriller! I still remember how blown away I was and the entire packed theater back in 1993 when this movie first came out. The effect of the THX surround sound when the T-Rex first appeared was awesome and the crowd went nuts! I think I saw it at least 3-4 times that summer.

By the way, Welcome to the Raven!

Niteshade007

The first one is great. I saw it about a year ago at my movie theater on campus. It was great to see it on the big screen again. And to hear the T-Rex's stomping, it was quite an experience, one I hadn't had since I was a little kid.

The second one was alright, but I didn't think it was great. The third one was probably the worst, although I've only seen it once.

Katarn07

The first one is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. I'll squeeze it in somewhere on the top 10. That was one of the first movies I updated from VHS to DVD due to its age and deteriorating quality (Indy was my first ;)).

I think Lost World is one of the worst sequels of all time. It's not half as good as JP3 was, and that wasn't a great movie. It was much more enjoyable than Lost World, but it's mostly forgettable. I'll catch bits and pieces of it on TV if nothing is on, but I never plan on owning it. Action was exciting, the new dinos gave the franchise a breath of new life (ok, the talking raptor thing was a bit much), but it's story felt like it was from a video game rather than for a feature length film and that's where it loses its points.

That said, if JP4 is as good as JP3 was, it'll be a fun movie to see in theaters. I can't wait. If Samuel L hadn't been offed in the first one, I'd vote to see him. Who wouldn't though, right? My vote goes for BD Wong, whose character died in the first novel, but his fate is left unknown in the original film.

Raiders90

Maybe it's because I'm a kid of the '90s and grew up with thi smovie, but still, at 18 years old, everytime I watch the original Jurassic Park, I feel a childlike sense of awe and wonder, delight and terror. No other movie brings out such glee in me, not even Raiders. From the soundtrack, to the sets, the dinosaurs and the majesty and even down to the clothes and cars and everything else, it's a film which for me always elicits a good feeling; a reminder of more innocent days (in my life).
Some people have ''comfort food'', Jurassic Park for me is a ''comfort movie''

agentsands77

I've never been fond of JURASSIC PARK. The direction is pretty pedestrian, all things considered (it often feels like any director could be behind the camera, rather than someone of Spielberg's caliber). I've also always had a grudge against the flicks for sanitizing the source material, turning JURASSIC PARK into a family-friendly thrill-ride.

Dr Bones

Short Round said:
I believe the original Jurassic Park is the most underrated film of all time.

Umm.... I think the huge box office takings, DVD/video sales, reviews, awards, merchendising, theme park rides and two successful sequels would make it difficult for anyone to say in all fairness that it was underrated! ;)

agentsands77 said:
I've never been fond of JURASSIC PARK. The direction is pretty pedestrian, all things considered (it often feels like any director could be behind the camera, rather than someone of Spielberg's caliber). I've also always had a grudge against the flicks for sanitizing the source material, turning JURASSIC PARK into a family-friendly thrill-ride.

I actually (like countless others) was pretty impressed with it at the time and consider it still hold up FX wise today. I felt the first shot of the dino's was handled really well and with some of the first really convincing GCI it had an impact, building up to the stuff you were itching to see.

I thought the pace of the film was great, good classic Spielberg tension followed by thrills.

As for sanitised...sure....but the target demographic was maxmised (hey they are in this for profit too y'know!) and the source material suffered only slightly for it IMHO. I don't see the need for mindless carnage just to keep a certain demgraphic's bloodlust sated.;)

Tha same could be said for JAWS...Peter Benchley's book was more graphic and the the story was changed for the movie (A cetrain charatcer's demise). Again the film was a HUGE success.

Mention Jurasic Park or Jaws to people and most will probably think of the movies which although this may be a sad indictment about the number of people reading books, that's the way it is.

Modern classics. JP and Jaws. :)

Last edited:

Niteshade007

I just finished the book a couple of days ago, and I fell in love with it. I even went out and bought a couple more Crichton books. I'm honestly a little apprehensive about watching the film again, though, just because I remembered various differences while reading. Now I'm not sure it'll hold up in my mind to how great the book is, because although they are pretty much the same, there are some pretty large differences between the two.

agentsands77

Dr Bones said:
As for sanitised...sure....but the target demographic was maxmised (hey they are in this for profit too y'know!) and the source material suffered only slightly for it IMHO. I don't see the need for mindless carnage just to keep a certain demgraphic's bloodlust sated.;)
It's not about bloodlust, per se, it's about tone. I wanted something that was colder and more chilling, in the vein of something like WESTWORLD (also written by Michael Crichton). I don't think JURASSIC PARK is as scary as it should have been.

The Magic Rat

Niteshade007 said:
I just finished the book a couple of days ago, and I fell in love with it. I even went out and bought a couple more Crichton books. I'm honestly a little apprehensive about watching the film again, though, just because I remembered various differences while reading. Now I'm not sure it'll hold up in my mind to how great the book is, because although they are pretty much the same, there are some pretty large differences between the two.

Well, I read the book when I was in 4th grade and I loved the movie. I still love the movie and the book, though I haven't read the book in years. I did read it at least six times, though. I watch the movie religiously. It'll hold up just fine.

Zorg

The first Jurassic Park made a great impression to me in 1993. It's still one of my favorite big summer movies and the only one I own on. It's a non-stop ride, as a film like this should be. It's masterfully crafted. Every little detail has it's place. The suspense is there, as well as the comedy. The effects are pretty great even by the standards of today. And then there's the cast. Without Jeff Goldblum and Sam Neill it wouldn't be as good!

I was terribly disappointed in the sequels though. The Lost World has some promise along the way, but falls far short of achieving any lasting impression like its predecessor. Jurassic Park III... well, it's just a stinking piece of ****, not worthy of the name.

It still amazes me to think that Spielberg was involved in the production of both Jurassic Park and Schindler's List at the same time. :whip: He was shooting Schindler's List here in Europe while overseeing the post-production of Jurassic Park.

JP Jones

Any Jurassic Park fans

I was a long time Jurassic Park fan before really getting into indiana jones.
To pay my respects to one of the great series of all-time I changed my username from Mr.kotcs to JP Jones.
And I was just wondering, does anyone else like the JP Series?

RedeemedChild

JP Jones said:
I was a long time Jurassic Park fan before really getting into indiana jones.
To pay my respects to one of the great series of all-time I changed my username from Mr.kotcs to JP Jones.
And I was just wondering, does anyone else like the JP Series?

I've never actually seen an entire Jurassic Park move but I definitely enjoyed the ride at Universal Studios last year. I remember playing at Dinosaurs back in the 90's when I much younger due to the television advertisements, posters and promotional material that surrounded me at that time for the Jurassic Park films. I'd even say that it was in part because of Jurrasic Park that I took such a major interest in Dinosaurs and science because of the Jurrasic Park franchise.

However the movies were not actually my cup of tea from what I do remember and the movie clips I viewed online. Walt Disney's Dinosaur was much more to my liking and I enjoyed it a lot better than the Jurassic Park films and I still remember reading the Disney Dinosaur tie-in comics featured in Disney Adventures magazine.

I, however I'm in full support of a Jurassic Park animated television series. I think such a TV program is needed as ABC, TNT, USA Network Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network are going down the tubes with horrible and mindless programs like Total Drama Island, Stoked, Sex and the City, The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Smallville, 6Teem, Hannah Montana, League of Evil, SpongeBob Squarepants, iCarly and Big Brother.

The only reason I watched Nickelodeon was because they had something great going with Avatar The Last Airbender. The only good thing Cartoon Network has right now is Star Wars The Clone Wars, Ben10 and The Marvelous Misadventures of FlapJack and Disney has nothing now that programs like American Dragon are few and far between.

What's happen to the entertainment industry? The only good video game companies it seems are Square-Enix, EA, Nintendo and Microsoft with Apple Inc. quickly stealing the show with the gaming beauty of the iPod Touch/iPhone. The movie industry is fast becoming a misery with garbage like Obsessed, Bride Wars, Miss March and Mall Cop. The only good movies of late have been Up, J.J. Abrams: Star Trek, Wall-E, Twilight, Green Lantern: First Flight and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.

At lest next years upcoming movie and video game titles are looking good.

Cole

Big fan.

The first one, simply put, is a classic.

'The Lost World' recieves its fair share of criticism, but I think it is a very entertaining film. It's essentially Jurassic Park following the story of King Kong. It is a very well-crafted film from Spielberg.

Then you come to 'Jurassic Park III,' directed by Joe Johnston. While it doesn't have the level of craftsmanship of Spielberg's........it still entertains. It very much captures the fun of a summer, action, B-inspired movie.

sarah navarro

Yah actually I thought all the Jurassica Park films were great. But one, i dont remember which one it is , i think the second? I remember i used to watch them over and over again when i was young before i even knew who Indy was :p

I saw one movie and i liked it a lot. My family and i rode on the Jurassic Park ride and it was fun, but my mom didn't go on the ride lol. So far i like Jurassic Park.

sarah navarro

IndyWolf15 said:
I saw one movie and i liked it a lot. My family and i rode on the Jurassic Park ride and it was fun, but my mom didn't go on the ride lol. So far i like Jurassic Park.
Thats a good start, you know what I like more than Jurassic park ? John Williams score (y) haha sorry Jurassic Park!

sarah navarro said:
Thats a good start, you know what I like more than Jurassic park ? John Williams score (y) haha sorry Jurassic Park!
LOL Sarah your funny. Yea he has some great music i like John Williams myself.