Empire magazine Indy month (April / May 2008)

jasperjones

Yeah I think the skull could be a 4. It looks menacing. It's instantly more visual than the stones or the grail, it really ties in with the 50's vibe(I'm guessing). I think it could be really cool.

Oh, and awesome article on Raiders today. Interesting that some Rhys-Davies talks about how he thought the whole thing could have been a disaster and Williams talks about the humour and silliness of the whole thing (in a positive way), and Spielberg talks about it being the one time he doesn't look back and think he could have improved on.

All things you could apply to Skull: the worry amongst some that it might not work. They were making up a lot of it as they went, improvising on the set, etc. Is the tone of skull too humorous, too silly? And Spielberg commented that having watched his cut of the film there was nothing he wanted to go back and shoot. He felt he had got it right.

Will hopefully put some things into perspective.

Last edited:

G-Man

GlasgowChivas said:
Day 3 Updated -Oral History of Raiders
Interesting to read what George said back then...
Spielberg: Our biggest dispute was that I had this heavy-metal view of the character of Toht (Ronald Lacey). I saw him with a prosthetic hand that was in fact a machine gun and a flamethrower. He was like The Terminator before The Terminator. We've got the artwork to prove it. That's where George put his foot down and said, "Steven, you're crossing out of one genre and into another." I agreed. All that hard work just became refuse in the art department.
He's obviously had a change of heart...

deckard24

I finally got the magazine yesterday, and that's it, a 5 page spread inside and a booklet of bio info we already know? What a gip!! I can't believe it's called the Indy issue, they spend just as much time talking about Keanu Reeves in Street Kings as they do KOTCS! LOL

I was seriously expecting virtually an entire issue of Indy related facts, stories, etc.. I should've know better.

Last edited:

deckard24

jasperjones said:
I thought it was a great issue (are you talking about the last one?)
No the latest one, with Indy Heaven written on the cover. Maybe I'm just tired of reading the same stuff in every magazine I see, but it felt like nothing new to me! I genuinely expected a near full issue of Indy related material, considering the way the add made it out to look on the Empire website.

jasperjones

I think if you know everything already and you've been surfing around here it's always going to be tricky to find new stuff. Rinzler's book like it might just do the trick. Can't wait for that!

deckard24

jasperjones said:
I think if you know everything already and you've been surfing around here it's always going to be tricky to find new stuff. Rinzler's book like it might just do the trick. Can't wait for that!
Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to all the new book coming out! All the magazines of late though have been disappointing to me, because they all just regurgitate the same info and pics. I know there's limited resources of both, but still it gets old. It would've been cool if the company that makes Star Wars Insider magazine had started a few months back with special issues devoted to each of the Indy films. They could have done Raiders in Februrary, Temple in March, Last Crusade in April, and then KOTCS in May!

That Toht routine with the mechanical flamethrower arm is hilarious.

LACEY: I think it would be great. I can lean into Marion and say Yes, I know you will and raise my mechanical arm inclusive of flamethrower, Steven. I'm really excited about this, Steven.

SPIELBERG: ...Actually, we're going for the hot poker...

LACEY: What? You mean no mechanical arm with flamethrower attached?

SPIELBERG: No.

LACEY: I love it! Love the poker angle.

Lambonius

G-Man said:
New Empire article is the Indy timeline, but they've F***** up and transposed the Raiders/Temple posters, dumb-asses...

http://www.empireonline.com/indy/day5/

What an odd timeline! They seem to be completely arbitrary about picking and choosing tidbits from the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. They include the bit about Old Indy and his daughter and grandson, but they leave out the event with Harrison from the Mystery of the Blues episode. They should either use it all or none of it.

Canyon

I just too the Raiders quiz today and got 20 out of 20 (even thought it took me 62.93 seconds. :rolleyes: :eek: