Indiana Jones and the Lost Adventure

Indy's Fist

With the new comics coming out I was wondering if anyone had the idea of writting a comic based on how Indy acquired Nurhatchi's ashs. I always felt that Indy and Lao Che's little talk had a lot of potential for a great story.

TalonCard

There's now a bit of a lead-in to that story in the junior novelization of Temple of Doom. (Naturally, it doesn't quite jive with Emperor's Tomb, but since when did the Indy timeline make any kind of sense anyway?)

TC

TalonCard

Sam Falco said:
Makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Star Wars timeline...

Ouch. ;) Star Wars has some rough spots, but it's not bad. Poor Indy, though, never got the same kind of care and attention.

TC

Indy fan 235

TalonCard said:
Ouch. ;) Star Wars has some rough spots, but it's not bad. Poor Indy, though, never got the same kind of care and attention.

TC

That might change though. Maybe Lucas will give more thought to future Indy books and comics and make a more tighter time line?

Then again, Indy might not get as much attention as Star Wars does, but at least it gets a lot more than Willow does!

Sam Falco

I think the PROBLEM with Star Wars is that it got too much attention. As is, we only have a couple different timelines for Indy, most of which CAN run together with only a SMIDGE of adjustment here and there.

We have:

Young Indy

Movie Indy

Book Indy

Comic Indy (which should not be included anyways, I see that as its own stand-alone deal other than just continuing the movies)

Star Wars on the other hand has the horrid use of the prequals which DIRECTLY conflict with everything the original Trilogy set up, most notably...

Anakin's age at the time he met Obi-Wan ("Your father was already an experienced pilot and a cunning warrior")

Yoda NOT being the jedi who trained Obi-Wan as was stated in New Hope

Bobba Fett ('nuff said)

Lucas' influence on things long-term just seems to upset the way things go. I think we could work out a pretty definite timeline ourselves if we really put our minds to it.

TalonCard

>I think the PROBLEM with Star Wars is that it got too much attention. As is, we only have a couple different timelines for Indy, most of which CAN run together with only a SMIDGE of adjustment here and there.<

"Canon" Indy runs fairly smoothly...if you just watch all the Young Indiana Jones movies and the four regular movies back-to-back. Once you try to assign dates to any of it, though, that's when you start running into problems. And occasionally Indy will run into the same mystery/artifact/famous person in more than one source. Take the First Emperor's tomb, or Stonehenge, or Al Capone.

Star Wars has an inherent advantage in reconciling disparate stories in that it's a fantasy world. There's no reason Han Solo couldn't have run into more than one bounty hunter on Ord Mantell, but it's hard to say "Oh, Indy ran into the other Stonehenge that time..." ;)

>Young Indy<

The trouble with Young Indy is that the order of several episodes got shuffled around when Lucas edited them all into movies for the home release. And he even filmed bridging material that takes the characters directly from one episode to the next, but all the official timelines (like the one in the Ultimate Guide) still give the episodes their original dates.

>Movie Indy<

Movie Indy is fine until you try to find a date for the movies. The Ultimate Guide, the Lost Journal, and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye theme park attraction all give different dates for the movies.

>Book indy<

Not too bad, although they do cover a lot of stuff that ended up in Young Indiana Jones without referencing the TV show. (Although the YA series deserves props for picking up on Helen.) We also see Indy encountering the supernatural a lot, which doesn't really jive with Raiders. Although you could argue that Temple of Doom opened that can of worms.

>Comic Indy (which should not be included anyways, I see that as its own stand-alone deal other than just continuing the movies)<

Comic Indy doesn't seem too bad, actually. Dark Horse even tied in their stuff with Young Indy and the video games. I don't know about Marvel...

>Star Wars on the other hand has the horrid use of the prequals which DIRECTLY conflict with everything the original Trilogy set up, most notably...,

No more than Temple of Doom or the Young Indy prequels contradict Raiders.

>Anakin's age at the time he met Obi-Wan ("Your father was already an experienced pilot and a cunning warrior")<

That's two different quotes. Obi-Wan said "He was a great friend and a cunning warrior" to Luke in A New Hope when they were talking about the Clone Wars. In Return of the Jedi, he later says "When I first met your father, he was already a great pilot, but I was amazed at how strongly the Force was with him." This matches up with the prequels, as Anakin is a great podracer pilot and Obi-Wan runs the blood sample that shows Anakin's midi...er, well, he sees he's strong in the Force, let's leave it at that. ;)

>Yoda NOT being the jedi who trained Obi-Wan as was stated in New Hope<

Yoda was never mentioned in A New Hope. Obi-Wan does refer to him as "the Jedi master who instructed me" in The Empire Strikes Back, but this too can be seen in the prequels. In Attack of the Clones we see that Yoda trains the younger Jedi before they leave the Temple.

>Bobba Fett ('nuff said)<

There's nothing contradictory about Fett's backstory in the films. The Expanded Universe had at least three contradictory backstories for Fett already--Attack of the Clones just added another to the mix. It's taken some time, but they've all been reconciled.

TC