TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #251
Stoo
IndyFan

Dig New Discoveries!

Thanks to the supreme generosity of certain, fellow Ravenheads (micsteam & Tibor), the past 3 weeks have yielded a BUNCH of new footage & images from deleted scenes of "Last Crusade"! The amount of new stuff is much too much to report in a single post...so let's start with:

The tarantula scene in the Grail Temple. Images of this are available on TheRaider.net and I also uploaded a video to YouTube with a few seconds of footage...but Miscteam's recordings have provided us with a longer clip which shows a RARELY seen portion.

Indy flicks the spider off with the Grail Diary! (I've never seen this before. Have any of you?)

Plus: Note the camera equipment coming in from the top left. This is an extra revelation since it shows how the instance was filmed from another angle. All of the familiar images & footage we have of the tarantula bit *may* just be shots from making-of/behind-the-scenes footage.

More analysis of other gold nuggets comin', y'all!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #252
russds
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
More analysis of other gold nuggets comin', y'all!

Awesome! Can't wait! Thanks for the LC bits already, always fun to see new angles and clips.
russds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #253
Indy's brother
IndyFan

While nice to see, it was wise to have deleted this scene. The best reason being how blasé Indy was about tarantulas in his chronologically most recent onscreen adventure.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #254
russds
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
While nice to see, it was wise to have deleted this scene. The best reason being how blasé Indy was about tarantulas in his chronologically most recent onscreen adventure.

Totally agree, I'm so glad they cut this scene. It's almost comical that "superhero Indy" is now suddenly scared of spiders. Great to see deleted footage none the less.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #255
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Y'know, that thought never even occurred to me but you're right. It wouldn't make much sense and I'm wondering if the filmmakers, themselves, hadn't considered it.

According to TheRaider.net:
"The second challenge in the Grail Temple was first planned to have tarantulas hidden under each wrong letter. Indy is shown being menaced by a tarantula crawling up his body, after stepping on the "J." While in post-production Spielberg decided the scene didn’t had the impact he was looking for and he came up with the chasm under the stone tablets."

Another thing about this scene is the notion that all of those spiders would be cooped up in their own sealed compartments for hundreds of years. The knight must have dipped each one in some Grail water so they wouldn't die, making the trap effective for all eternity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russds
"superhero Indy"
The mere sight of those 2 words side-by-side makes me shudder (kind of like Indy did with the big spider on him)!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #256
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

It's amazing to think that they just extemporized the revised Name of God sequence. Was it an immediate reshoot or did Spielberg revisit the scene after viewing an assembly, I wonder?

"I need stone tablets that crumble on command in twelve hours!"
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #257
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
It's amazing to think that they just extemporized the revised Name of God sequence. Was it an immediate reshoot or did Spielberg revisit the scene after viewing an assembly, I wonder?

"I need stone tablets that crumble on command in twelve hours!"

I don't think they fixed it on the fly. In the final version, Indy still has the grail diary in the same hand when he pulls himself up. His reactions would still have been the same if he had dealt with spiders. My guess is that they shot the scene from below the path in post production. Wouldn't have even needed Ford for it. Insert that one shot, take out the spiders, BAM. Fixed. That's my guess, anyway.

Last edited by Indy's brother : 04-10-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #258
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Was it an immediate reshoot or did Spielberg revisit the scene after viewing an assembly, I wonder?
I don't know where TheRaider.net got the information from but the blurb states that Spielberg decided on the change in post-production, hence, not an immediate reshoot. The wording, "didn't have the impact he was looking for" suggests that he made the decision while the film was being edited.

Other threads on this subject:
LC Word of God deleted scene
TLC cut scene with Tarantula?

In one of those threads, there are mentions of Spielberg talking about the spider scene in the 2003 DVD boxed set but I've just looked and can't find it anywhere. Where did this info come from? Inquiring minds want to know.
Quote:
In the final version, Indy still has the grail diary in the same hand when he pulls himself up. His reactions would still have been the same if he had dealt with spiders. My guess is that they shot the scene from below the path in post production. Wouldn't have even needed Ford for it. Insert that one shot, take out the spiders, BAM. Fixed. That's my guess, anyway.
That's a pretty good guess, f*ckface! Only one of Indy's legs falls into the hole in the finished film, yet his entire body somehow drops into the cavern in the very next shot. It appears that the spider scene was replaced with 1 shot of a stuntman & special effects. Insert that bit within some crafty editing and…voilà.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #259
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

That's a good point. Depending on how the original version was staged, it could have just been that one shot of the chasm that got plugged in. If you look at the scene under that assumption, the fact that Harrison's reaction after pulling himself himself back to safety seems to amount to backing away and checking his feet seems more glaring.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #260
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
That's a pretty good guess, f*ckface!

At every bar, there's that one guy who has had one too many and doesn't realize how much of an ass he's making of himself. Guess The Raven is no different.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #261
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
That's a good point. Depending on how the original version was staged, it could have just been that one shot of the chasm that got plugged in. If you look at the scene under that assumption, the fact that Harrison's reaction after pulling himself himself back to safety seems to amount to backing away and checking his feet seems more glaring.
Indeed. It looks as if he's brushing dust or sand from his pants/trousers when he was probably really double-checking to make sure there were no more critters crawling up his leg.
Quote:
At every bar, there's that one guy who has had one too many and doesn't realize how much of an ass he's making of himself. Guess The Raven is no different.
It was meant in playful jest (hence the smiley emoticon things). Sorry, man, I didn't realize that you were so fragile.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #262
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
It was meant in playful jest (hence the smiley emoticon things). Sorry, man, I didn't realize that you were so fragile.

A couple of smiley faces, your typical mealy-mouthed back-peddling, and your casual assertion that I can't take a joke (such wit ) don't make us best buds, or excuse that level of lowbrow rudeness here. We're not that tight. And even if we were, I wasn't aware that The Raven had become that kind of forum.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #263
Stoo
IndyFan

Ooh, là là! Someone has a bee in their bonnet!

Speaking of bonnets & hats...Here are more images from misteam's rare videos: The Berlin airport/flughafen scene! The clip is behind-the-scenes stuff but it's the 1st time that I've ever seen actual footage of it. (Does anyone out there have or seen footage of this before?)

Indy discretely plucks his dad's hat off and the old codger looks around, in a typically bewildered state:

Old 05-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #264
Moedred
Administrator

They cooked Piglet! Never seen this pic before. (Be sure to zoom to the full 2048 pixels wide.)

Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #265
russds
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
They cooked Piglet! Never seen this pic before. (Be sure to zoom to the full 2048 pixels wide.)

Awesome! I haven't seen that either, thanks for posting. Pics like these remind me what a great adventure to make a movie like this, with life size sets and all the details.

And yes, looks like there was a scene with a pig. Crazy!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #266
jsarino
IndyFan

I guess they took the roast pig out and went for the all out (and controversial) icky food choices, for a funnier effect?
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #267
Stoo
IndyFan

I thought they were as a picture of the pig in this thread but I can't find it (or it has been taken down). For posterity's sake:

Old 05-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #268
Moedred
Administrator

Thanks Stoo! Always gathering images to improve the deleted scene pages. Dead baby animals probably didn't test well with some. Also it may have been a redundant bait-and-switch, like the soup. I'm guessing Willie saw the roasted pig approaching, then the piglets. They didn't want lingering thoughts of animal cruelty and western eating habits.

Last edited by Moedred : 05-07-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #269
Djd1
IndyFan

Maybe the pig scene was cut due to the unlikelihood of pork being eaten in Northern India at all?? They eat pork in some areas of the South but not in the North...
Djd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #270
Phlip
IndyFan

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but are we aware of the Pat Roach mini scene in Last Crusade on the blimp that was cut? Indy ended up punching him, which is all I know of. It's shown on the Blu-ray bonus features, at the end of I think "The Friends and Foes of Indiana Jones."
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #271
russds
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but are we aware of the Pat Roach mini scene in Last Crusade on the blimp that was cut? Indy ended up punching him, which is all I know of. It's shown on the Blu-ray bonus features, at the end of I think "The Friends and Foes of Indiana Jones."

It has been mentioned, I believe it has been mentioned a few times in various threads, and is on the main site under the deleted scenes section as well.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #272
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
A couple of smiley faces, your typical mealy-mouthed back-peddling, and your casual assertion that I can't take a joke (such wit ) don't make us best buds, or excuse that level of lowbrow rudeness here. We're not that tight. And even if we were, I wasn't aware that The Raven had become that kind of forum.
Y'know, it's worth pointing out that 10 days before this incident you called me "a pompous ass", coupled with a big smiley face, and I laughed it off. Too bad it doesn't work the other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djd1
Maybe the pig scene was cut due to the unlikelihood of pork being eaten in Northern India at all?? They eat pork in some areas of the South but not in the North...
Not very likely, in my opinion. They didn't seem too concerned with properly portraying certain cultural elements. I mean, is there any place in India where people eat living baby snakes? (Plus, there's the deleted scene in the script where Indy & Blumburtt discuss how absurd the menu is for devout Hindus.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip
There are 2 photos available of that punching scene but I must have missed the clip on the Blu-ray set. Thanks for the heads-up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Thanks Stoo! Always gathering images to improve the deleted scene pages.
Always glad to help, Moe. I would love to see the Deleted Scenes pages of theraider.net become even better than they already are! Here's an alternate shot of Pat Roach as the Gestapo agent which comes slightly before the other one which is already there (He's pulling the gun out, whereas in the other it's already out). As you're aware, this is from Tibor's collection of press stills but I fixed the perspective to make it a perfect rectangle:

Old 06-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #273
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

The Last Crusade deleted scenes particularly interest me with respect to how they relate to the graphic adventure game. Because it was developed alongside the movie's production, it was based off the screenplay, and while there was certainly plenty of expansion and liberties taken regardless, some of that original content has a source in deleted material.

For example, the scene at the Berlin airport involving the old codger was clearly an inspiration for a sequence in the game taking place in the same setting where an old man is distracted in order to swipe his zeppelin tickets. I do believe there was also meant to be a scene aboard the zeppelin where Indy wrecks or otherwise messes with the radio that a puzzle in the game relates to.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #274
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

I had not seen the clips from the tarantula and Indy but I clearly remember the picture of it crawling up his leg in the LC storybook I had.

I had read the storybook before I saw the movie so every time I watch LC(even now) and Indy is telling Elsa that his dad hates rats, I keep expecting him to tell the story about the rat in the basement.
S. Dakota Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #275
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Still Stoo-ing over it, I see

Quote:
Y'know, it's worth pointing out that 10 days before this incident you called me "a pompous ass", coupled with a big smiley face, and I laughed it off. Too bad it doesn't work the other way.

In what universe are the terms pompous ass and F***F*** equal. I suppose I should just let you roll over me to satisfy your bloated ego. No wait. Pass.