Dark Horse "Indy" Horsepower Column

yodazone

Indiana Jones is the the spolight in this month's "HorsePower Column" which is printed on all Dark Horse Comics for the month of April:

http://www.darkhorse.com/news/horsepower.php?id=1542

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It ain't the years, honey--it's the mileage." That's how Indiana Jones replied to Marion Ravenwood's quips about him looking so rough in Raiders of the Lost Arc, and despite how banged up and run down the character felt onscreen those twenty-seven years ago (has it really been that long?), there was never any doubt that the rest of us were witnessing the birth of an enduring icon.

Whether he's squirming in front of a college classroom wearing a tweed suit and glasses or outrunning a Nazi tank in his leather jacket and fedora, Indy's appeal is that he represents the best to which we all can aspire--he's a man of letters and a man of action whose priorities are preserving history and protecting his friends . . . even if it means getting his teeth rattled by bigger and meaner Nazi thugs.

It's those very qualities that translate so well from silver screen to comic page. It's been nearly twelve years since Dark Horse last published the continuing adventures of Indiana Jones, and in 2008 we see the good Doctor return in high style.

First up is the Indiana Jones Omnibus, the first of two massive tomes collecting the entirety of Dark Horse's Indiana Jones miniseries and one-shots, also featuring some truly amazing covers from the likes of Hugh Fleming and Alex Ross. Much of this material has not been previously collected and has been long out of print, so for many Indy fans this will be like unearthing lost treasure. The Indiana Jones Omnibus Volume One is on sale now with the second volume to follow in June 2008.

Before we get there, though, the largest X on Dark Horse's Indy map is our official adaptation of the blockbuster film, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull--on sale May 22nd. Based on the story by George Lucas and Jeff Nathanson and the screenplay by David Keopp, our adaptation is written by Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic scribe John Jackson Miller, illustrated by Luke Ross, Cliff Richards, and Fabio Laguna, and features all new painted covers by Hugh Fleming.

For some publishers, that would be enough-but not Dark Horse! Our official movie adaptation kicks off an entire line of all-new and exciting Indiana Jones comics. Following the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull adaptation will be Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods--a four-issue miniseries written by Rob Williams (2000 AD; Star Wars Rebellion) that finds Indy at the top of the world, chasing an ancient treasure that could potentially destroy all of mankind. Not sold yet? What if I said that the covers would be provided by Tony Harris? Yeah, I thought that'd get ya!

After that comes Indiana Jones Adventures-an ongoing series of full-length, digest-sized graphic novels aimed at all ages. If you're familiar with our similarly styled Clone Wars Adventures series, you'll know to expect some high-energy stories and energetic artwork. Written by Philip Gelatt and illustrated by Ethen Beavers, Volume One hits in September with more to follow closely behind.

And this is only the beginning. Our plans for Indy reach far and wide, but I don't want to give too much away too soon. Just know that in spite of the way he might feel, Indiana Jones has a lot of good mileage left in him, and we'll be sitting in that sidecar, rolling on down the road right along with him!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

(y) (y) (y)

xVendetta17x

I couldn't be happier about the new comics
Tomb of God is going to be sweet
I don't think i'll be looking at the 'Indiana Jones Adventures' though...

LaoCheRules!

I wouldn't count them out yet....

They might actually be better than you would think.

The Clone Wars Adventures were in the same style and they sold pretty darn well. The storylines may be a bit sped up, but they are not dumbed down in any way.

phantom train

Great news about all of the new IJ comics coming out.

However, it's too bad they don't specifically mention an omnibus reprinting the Marvel IJ series. In the initial press releases back in late 2007/early 2008 I remember reading that they were planning on reprinting the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" and the Marvel IJ series in the omnibus format, but they don't mention that here. Maybe reprinting these older comics depend on how well the first two omnibuses (which reprint DH's IJ comics) sell.

yodazone

phantom train said:
Great news about all of the new IJ comics coming out.

However, it's too bad they don't specifically mention an omnibus reprinting the Marvel IJ series. In the initial press releases back in late 2007/early 2008 I remember reading that they were planning on reprinting the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" and the Marvel IJ series in the omnibus format, but they don't mention that here. Maybe reprinting these older comics depend on how well the first two omnibuses (which reprint DH's IJ comics) sell.

Dark Horse is slow with the reprints regarding the Marvel stuff. They might be waiting to see how the new books sell before they announce the Marvel collection release.

The Star Wars run from Marvel (107 issues) took years until they saw reprints. It might also have to do with the old negatives/film they are working with to remaster the pages into the new collections. One of the editors said last year that some of the film was lost and some pages needed to be re-scanned from pages of the original comics themselves.

(y) (y) (y)

Avilos

I would not worry about Marvel or Young Indy Omnibuses. Truth is there were not many Indiana Jones comics. Lucasfilm and Dark Horse want to sustain Indy's new exposure. If Dark Horse released everything right away they will run out of things to put out too soon.

Avilos

xVendetta17x said:
Why would Dark Horse release something that's Marvel
That's like Paramount re-releasing Lord of the Rings

Lucasfilm owns Indiana Jones and all spin-off materials. While Marvel published those comics, Lucas owns the rights. Same thing with Star Wars. Dark Horse reprinted the Marvel Star Wars Comics. Because they currently have the rights from Lucasfilm.