Just read Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils (contains spoliers!)

The Drifter

(((Spoilers Ahead!!!)))

I bought 10 Indiana Jones novels; ranging from Seven Veils to Curse of the Spinx. Sadly, Peril of Delphi, and the Dance of the Giants were out of print.

I plan on reading them in order, and I finished Seven Veils last night.
The book was okay. I loved the first 5 or so chapters. Indy stuck in the Aztec temple, the fight on the skylifts, etc.

The fact that Indy got married did not really bother me, even though I think that it was somewhat out of character for him.

By mid-book, things got confusing.
We have this tribe of people who live in an invisible city, and most of them can turn invisible at will.
This part had to much fantasy for me, and brought back bad memories of cheesy fantasy books I read in my youth.

Then came the dreaming part.
Indy was dreaming he was in court at the city, yet he was still awake and escaping the city I did not care for this whole "veiling" plot.

It would have been better if Indy discovered a tribe of whites; decendants of the celts in the Amazon without all of the disappearing acts.

The ending was great.
I liked the plan crash at the end, and call me cruel; but, I liked that his wife died.

What are your thoughts on the novel?
Next, I'm to read The Genesis Deluge.

(Bah, I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong place! I am so very sorry!)

DetectiveFork

The only Indy novel I've read is Genesis Deluge and I thought it was great. Hope you enjoy it!

I've often thought about picking up another Indy book or two to read, but every one seems to have very mixed reviews.

BTW, I wonder why two of the books weren't reprinted?

The Drifter

Seven Veils was not a bad book. It just started getting to fantasy-like to me at the latter half.
I don't know why the first two novels are not reprinted. Also, I look foward to reading Genesis Deluge!

Junior Jones

I like Rob MacGregor's novels, but as the series continues they do tend to delve farther and farther into the realm of fantasy. My least favorite is Interior World since a majority of the book occurs in a place that doesn't exist.

Ltdefense

I dug Seven Veils- reminded me of "The Shadow".

I like the fantasy elements in Indiana Jones- I really think the three encounters in the movies aren't the only time he's dealt with the supernatural. There's a reason he's savy enough to close his eyes in Raiders.

TalonCard

Junior Jones said:
I like Rob MacGregor's novels, but as the series continues they do tend to delve farther and farther into the realm of fantasy. My least favorite is Interior World since a majority of the book occurs in a place that doesn't exist.

Oddly enough, I kinda liked this idea--the Interior World as a state of mind/alternate demention rather than an actual place. It's about the only way to make the concept make sense in this day and age (although I'm not sure how they handled the concept again in Hollow Earth.)

I agree that the bulk of Indy's supernatural adventures ought to be saved until after Raiders. Seeing as how the authors now have 1939-1957 to play with, maybe we'll see more of this...

TC

The Drifter

I'm half-through Genesis Deluge.
Great book. Even though half of it had hardly any action except the Capone scenes. I am where they first arrive at Turkey.

Junior Jones

TalonCard said:
Oddly enough, I kinda liked this idea--the Interior World as a state of mind/alternate demention rather than an actual place. It's about the only way to make the concept make sense in this day and age (although I'm not sure how they handled the concept again in Hollow Earth.)

It's been awhile, but If I recall correctly, Hollow Earth was more about tunnels and caves, and not about a huge hollow world inside our planet. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

The Drifter

Well, I just read Genesis Deluge.
I have to say that Seven Veils was much better. There was hardly even any action in Genesis.
First half of the book was about Indy in Chicago, and then they went to Turkey.

After that they were lost, had a few fights (the scenes were so quick, I hardly knew what happened), found the Ark, Ark was lost, and Indy was in New York again.

The story seemed VERY dragged on to me, and the ending was lame and cliche.
I give it a 4/10.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I really enjoy 'Seven Veils'. Just the way it's written. But my preference is for 'Dance of the Giants' (one of the out of print ones). A much better storyline and a more interesting villain.