Harrison Ford and The Doors

Paul Ferrara,The Doors official photographer hired friend Harrison Ford to work as a grip for the crew.

Fri. July 5th: Hollywood Bowl - Los Angeles, CA (Feast Of Friends) The show is touted as the event of the season and everyone who is anyone comes out to see the show. Mick Jagger and Jimmy Miller have dinner with the band at Mu Ling's Chinese restaurant before the show and are in the audience this night to see the big show. All 18,000 seats are sold out and the stage is tweaked with over 60,000 watts of power. The Doors hire a few additional cameramen to their crew who are filming tonight, one of which turns out to be a young Harrison Ford.

1968-05-19 Santa Clara County Fairgrounds - San Jose, CA
Recently discovered silent home movie footage of The Doors performing at the Northern California Folk-Rock Festival in 1968. The footage opens with clips of The Youngbloods and Country Joe & The Fish. Just before The Doors take the stage, a young Harrison Ford can be spotted loading a camera for the 'Feast Of Friends' film crew in the middle of the crowd.

Harrison: 1:50

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E7qyiRcUb4g" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Besides the existing footage of this concert captured by the Feast of Friends crew, there is rumored to be Pro-shot filmwork of the show.

When You’re Strange: A Film About The Doors’ On PBS – American Masters In May
JEFF JAMPOL: Remember, Ray and Jim Morrison met in film school at UCLA. Ray got his master’s in film, and Jim got his bachelor’s in film, and they had a couple of classmates — Paul Ferrara and Frank Lisciandro, and they were all very interested in film. So when The Doors went on their first tour, they took Frank and Paul with them to film the whole tour and to film things offstage and in between. So we have this beautiful, visual documentation of that time in ’67, ’68 and ’69, when most bands of that era, there’s very little documentation about.

DENSMORE: Actually, excuse me for interrupting, when we played The [Hollywood] Bowl, Harrison Ford was a grip on our crew. (Laughter.)

Harrison Ford: "When it was over I was one step away from joining a Jesuit Monastery. I couldn't keep up with those guys it was too much. I was part of the camera crew...second camera. I don't think any of it was in focus, not a bit of it."

Last edited:
Dr. Gonzo said:
Harry and The Doors...

Here's a clip where Harrison appears in the background of a card game...

at 43 seconds... a guy even says: "You're in the shot Harry."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_oB6eYUcs&feature=related
That Blue Shirt is an icon...and maddening. There's a clip in the film "When You're Strange" which has Jim Morrison posing with a very similar cornflower blue shirt as a "prop." I can imagine they're hazing him over it and ultimately attempt to immortalize it as a joke.

We still have these bigfoot quality images and testimonials...

Mitchellhallock said:
Pat did Harry ever play with Dr Zoom and the Sonic Boom?
With all the times you two rubbed elbows you'd think he'd be the one to ask...but then again, you saw Steranko at shows for years and it never dawned on you to ask him about Indy.

Nevermind.

Mitchellhallock said:
That was my semi-annual Bruce hint towards you. I know, "you're working on it. You're working on it."
I miss our conversations before Bruce made us a menage a trois.

So I'll leave it to you, did you want "something" as a collectible to stow it, a quickie, or the personalized touch?

You can have it your way...how do you want it sweetheart?

...oh, The Doors, Harrison, second unit, pretty cool huh?

Last edited:

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Do I have to say his name? Do I have to say his name? I'll take the personalized item to add to my collection. Thanks.

Yes that Sasquatch image is an amazing find. Congrats. Now try and dig up the student film Malcolm made at Choate in Wallingford, CT where Harry played the bus driver.

Mitchellhallock said:
Do I have to say his name? Do I have to say his name? Now try and dig up the student film Malcolm made at Choate in Wallingford, CT where Harry played the bus driver.
Is that the one where he says YOUR name?

The Doors, Harrison Ford, second camera, Feast of Friends, Harry, Blue Shirt

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I miss our conversations before Bruce made us a menage a trois.

So I'll leave it to you, did you want "something" as a collectible to stow it, a quickie, or the personalized touch?

You can have it your way...how do you want it sweetheart?

springsteen-superbowl.jpg

Stoo

@Rocket Surgeon: GREAT finds!(y) That certainly does resemble Harrison in the San Jose footage. *If* it is him (and Densmore's memory about the Hollywood Bowl is to be trusted), then Harry was with the band for more than just a week (which, I believe, he himself stated).
Dr. Gonzo said:
Here's a clip where Harrison appears in the background of a card game...

at 43 seconds... a guy even says: "You're in the shot Harry."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_oB6eYUcs&feature=related
Hmmm. The YouTube description says it's 22 Oct. 1967 which isn't within the same timeframe as the 2 shows that Rocket found. The mystery thickens! (I had read about this clip before so it's nice to finally see it. Thanks, Dr. Gonzo!:hat:)
Mitchellhallock said:
Now try and dig up the student film Malcolm made at Choate in Wallingford, CT where Harry played the bus driver.
Easy. Parts of "Water to Wine" are on YouTube but the following site has the whole thing: http://www.nossatv.com/cda/preview//3e3e073527f14f99bb6fd76fbbde849d

And...um...Connecticut? It was filmed in Wyoming.:rolleyes:

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
I meant when the kid was going to school out here. I heard it was part of a student film project for high school. Maybe my info was wrong.

Stoo said:
*If* it is him (and Densmore's memory about the Hollywood Bowl is to be trusted), then Harry was with the band for more than just a week (which, I believe, he himself stated).

And...um...Connecticut? It was filmed in Wyoming.:rolleyes:

I figure at 68 or so he's ballparking stuff like this. It's obvious he doesn't want to talk about it...but he gave Jimmy Kimmel a great interview:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ot769XyvPDU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

The "week" is a quote attributed to Harrison in one of his biographies, but again, I believe he's not really giving a solid frame, just a ballpark figure.

The Bar, (bar fight), in Malcolm's film is in Wyoming right?

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
Hmmm. The YouTube description says it's 22 Oct. 1967 which isn't within the same timeframe as the 2 shows that Rocket found. The mystery thickens! (I had read about this clip before so it's nice to finally see it. Thanks, Dr. Gonzo!:hat:)

The youtube description is incorrect, I happen to know this because I am doors aficionado (even more so than Indiana Jones:dead: BLASPHEMY!)

The Doors didn't even consider funding and filming a documentary in 1967 and furthermore did not even hire their friend Paul Ferrara as the doors official "film documentarian" until April of 1968. I can also tell you based on the appearance of the band, apparel, and numerous things that I've seen and read that the "card game" footage is from mid 1968.

"Dr. Gonzo's "stoning" wil commence immediately at the Raven Bar"

HAHA "STONING"

Stoo

Dr. Gonzo said:
The youtube description is incorrect, I happen to know this because I am doors aficionado (even more so than Indiana Jones:dead: BLASPHEMY!)
Ha ha! Don't worry, Gonzo. You're not alone because I know more about The Who than Indiana Jones.:p

Great to hear from a true Doors afficionado!;) Thanks for clarifying the odd date. Your method of dating the card game is precisely what I used to do with old Who footage and photos. Hair length & clothes are always a big clue. It looks like Harrison is wearing the exact same clothes at both the card game and the San Jose footage and you say the card game is mid-68. The San Jose show was 19 May, 1968 so they are both within the same timeframe. Nice going.:hat:

By the way, I saw a Robbie Kreiger solo show in the '90s at a local bar. It was very good.
Rocket Surgeon said:
The Bar, (bar fight), in Malcolm's film is in Wyoming right?
From what I've read, yes.

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
Ha ha! Don't worry, Gonzo. You're not alone because I know more about The Who than Indiana Jones.:p

Great to hear from a true Doors afficionado!;) Thanks for clarifying the odd date. Your method of dating the card game is precisely what I used to do with old Who footage and photos. Hair length & clothes are always a big clue. It looks like Harrison is wearing the exact same clothes at both the card game and the San Jose footage and you say the card game is mid-68. The San Jose show was 19 May, 1968 so they are both within the same timeframe. Nice going.:hat:

By the way, I saw a Robbie Kreiger solo show in the '90s at a local bar. It was very good.

Always nice to hear from a fellow 60's band enthusiast. The dating process is a funny thing isn't it Stoo? another thing I didn't mention was that Jim is wearing the same shirt as the San Jose performance. So it's very near May 5th '68

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C_NhuteVTB8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Gonzo

JuniorJones said:
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C_NhuteVTB8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That's Jim talking to Pastor Fred L. Stagmeyer, "minister at large" as he calls himself. I can't believe I've overlooked this. That definitely looks like a young Harry. And the time period is correct. I think we have a winner. Anyway here is the whole clip if you are interested.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-XxL3WEvaEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>