General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters
Indy's brother said:
I'm not familiar with that quote, but I hope it's not true. The day that George Lucas will be done fiddle-farting around with Star Wars will be the day that George Lucas dies.

And then he'll come back as a digital ghost and fiddle with it some more.

Darth Vile

DoomsdayFAN said:
No, you're right, but Stoo is just trying to provoke me. :sleep:

That's why it's sometimes wise to be select with your choice of wording... as it can cause confusion as to your meaning young Padawan. ;)

Indy movies have never been really drama filled (even in the sence that Star Wars movies are), but yes, Raiders especially had a good quota of danger/peril that the other movies lacked (more so with KOTCS I'd agree).

Stoo

DoomsdayFAN said:
No, you're right, but Stoo is just trying to provoke me. :sleep:
Trying to understand your contradictory ramblings is more like it. (It's O.K. to admit that you aren't familiar with '30s serials.)

Anyway, it seems you just want Indy 5 to be a remake of "Raiders".
DoomsdayFAN said:
I just don't understand why they can't go back the formula of the first film.
DoomsdayFAN said:
They should just bring back the Ark. Im sure ALL of us would eat up another Ark adventure. (y)
"ALL of us"? You and who else?:confused:
DoomsdayFAN said:
Is Lucas still at work on any Star Wars stuff? Because I remember reading somewhere that Spielberg (I believe it was) was saying how when Lucas was finished with Star Wars he would move right into Indy V.
During his interview on "60 Minutes" back when "Phantom Menace was being released, Lucas said that after "Star Wars" was finished, he was going to start making smaller, art-house films. Forget Indy 5, I want to see those!

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
During his interview on "60 Minutes" back when "Phantom Menace was being released, Lucas said that after "Star Wars" was finished, he was going to start making smaller, art-house films. Forget Indy 5, I want to see those!

I'm still waiting for thise too... :D

Olliana

Stoo said:

That Lucas has gone a long time ago...

He's still into Star Wars like big time. To my knowledge, he supervises The Clone Wars and keeps on pushing technology for the upcoming live action series. Besides that, he's busy, well, being George.

All Spielberg said was, after Geroge is done with the Star Wars Blu-Rays, he should be up to the Raider Blu-Ray or Indy trilogy Blu-Rays. That's it.

Montana Smith

Olliana said:

He's still into Star Wars like big time. To my knowledge, he supervises The Clone Wars and keeps on pushing technology for the upcoming live action series. Besides that, he's busy, well, being George.

All Spielberg said was, after Geroge is done with the Star Wars Blu-Rays, he should be up to the Raider Blu-Ray or Indy trilogy Blu-Rays. That's it.

And that's just as it should be. The Harrison Ford era of Indy on the big screen has finished. No point in stretching out something that can't reasonably be accomplished.

Sometime in the future Lucas might get around to supervising an animated Indy in the style of The Clone Wars, and that's what I'm looking forward to. It's the only way to get Harrison, the Indy we want, and a return to the 1930s and the wartime we never saw on screen. If worked on as an anthology, rather than in a strict chronology, we could see stories from all periods of Indy's life told in mini-serials. (And we wouldn't have to wait until series four to see wartime Indy).

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
That's why it's sometimes wise to be select with your choice of wording...
Right. DoomsdayFAN "chose poorly" (like Donovan did).:p
Olliana said:
Indeed. I was only pointing out that, just because George or Steven say something, their statements don't necessarily mean it's going to become a reality.
Mickiana said:
I take the GL thing as positive. It seems to indicate a schedule. And a schedule means a plan. And a plan means a germ of an idea. And a germ of an idea... Hang on, what the hell???!!!!
:D Funny, Mick. By the way, Australia doesn't sell Lysol?

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
And that's just as it should be. The Harrison Ford era of Indy on the big screen has finished. No point in stretching out something that can't reasonably be accomplished.

Sometime in the future Lucas might get around to supervising an animated Indy in the style of The Clone Wars, and that's what I'm looking forward to. It's the only way to get Harrison, the Indy we want, and a return to the 1930s and the wartime we never saw on screen. If worked on as an anthology, rather than in a strict chronology, we could see stories from all periods of Indy's life told in mini-serials. (And we wouldn't have to wait until series four to see wartime Indy).

I'd like to see an Indy length cartoon feature too Montana... but other than a feature length cartoon, I'm not sure the character or universe has much scope for a series... unless they do it in the style of 'The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles' and becomes a sort of travelogue history lesson (which has its merits). The advantage Star Wars has is that its universe is much, much bigger in comparison. You could do a series on the Clone Wars (obviously already have), The Old Republic, The New Republic, Darth Bane, Bounty Hunters etc. etc. and each would probably be worth watching (if you like that universe that is). :)

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
I'd like to see an Indy length cartoon feature too Montana... but other than a feature length cartoon, I'm not sure the character or universe has much scope for a series... unless they do it in the style of 'The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles' and becomes a sort of travelogue history lesson (which has its merits). The advantage Star Wars has is that its universe is much, much bigger in comparison. You could do a series on the Clone Wars (obviously already have), The Old Republic, The New Republic, Darth Bane, Bounty Hunters etc. etc. and each would probably be worth watching (if you like that universe that is). :)

Lots of Indy stories have already been told in comics and novels - they could be adapted to twenty minute episodes, with some spanning more than one installment. If done with quality animation they would really do justice to Indy, in a way that isn't possible with live action without sleight of hand to conceal Harrison's age.

Mickiana

We have 'Dettol' which seems to be a similar thing. As far as insecticides go, we have stuff like Mortein, Peabeau and Black Flag.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
Lots of Indy stories have already been told in comics and novels - they could be adapted to twenty minute episodes, with some spanning more than one installment. If done with quality animation they would really do justice to Indy, in a way that isn't possible with live action without sleight of hand to conceal Harrison's age.

True enough... but I found lots of them (specifically the comics... as I wasn't into the novels), to be a tad repetitive/predictable. Even the movies repeat themselves. That said, I'd still welcome a cartoon, just for the novelty value alone, and I wouldn't mind being proved wrong.

DoomsdayFAN

Darth Vile said:
That's why it's sometimes wise to be select with your choice of wording... as it can cause confusion as to your meaning young Padawan. ;)

I thought it'd be fairly easy to understand what I meant (as you seemed to easily figure out) but in the future, I'll try to spell it out better for those among us who are easily confused and take words at their literal meaning. :cool:

If Spielberg and Ford are ready and willing to make another Indy, then why not? Of the three of them, Lucas is the one who seems to speak the least about it. I wish someone would ask him what the plans are. And frankly, Spielberg is the most powerful man in Hollywood. I wish he would take a more active roll in helping to break the story and get the ball rolling. At the very least, perhaps him and Lucas could sit down again with a writer and have another long session of just coming up with stuff they'd like to see, such as what situations will Indy find himself in; what is he after; why is he after it; etc.

The chances may be slim that we'll ever get another big screen Indy adventure, but I'll remain optomistic until the day Spielberg or Ford flat out say "it'll never happen/no chance!"

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DoomsdayFAN said:
I thought it'd be fairly easy to understand what I meant (as you seemed to easily figure out) but in the future, I'll try to spell it out better for those among us who are easily confused and take words at their literal meaning. :cool:

Well, you were asked a specific question involving what kind of "serial-type adventures" you had in mind. The fact that this has gone on for so long is silly, but I don't see why there's not room to acknowledge, at the very least, that the question you were answering wasn't the question Stoo asked.

DoomsdayFAN said:
If Spielberg and Ford are ready and willing to make another Indy, then why not? Of the three of them, Lucas is the one who seems to speak the least about it.

He's also the one who speaks least, period, which is probably a factor.

DoomsdayFAN said:
And frankly, Spielberg is the most powerful man in Hollywood.

Which possibly explains why he was so happy to treat Indy IV as a vacation.

DoomsdayFAN said:
At the very least, perhaps him and Lucas could sit down again with a writer and have another long session of just coming up with stuff they'd like to see, such as what situations will Indy find himself in; what is he after; why is he after it; etc.

And this is a solid idea, although that writer would need to be someone who both of them would be willing to defer to on at least some level, to push past George's incalcitrant nature and Steven's dumber, careless impulses. The likeliness of that person existing is probably slim, especially considering Frank Darabont wouldn't pick up the phone if called.

DoomsdayFAN

Attila the Professor said:
And this is a solid idea, although that writer would need to be someone who both of them would be willing to defer to on at least some level, to push past George's incalcitrant nature and Steven's dumber, careless impulses. The likeliness of that person existing is probably slim, especially considering Frank Darabont wouldn't pick up the phone if called.

What about David Koepp? He seems like a great writer when given room to work, and he's worked with Speilberg before, as well as on other huge blockbuster films. I know he polished the KOTCS screenplay, but perhaps he'd be a good one to go to from the start to come up with a draft based on a round-table type meeting with Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford. :gun:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DoomsdayFAN said:
What about David Koepp? He seems like a great writer when given room to work, and he's worked with Speilberg before, as well as on other huge blockbuster films. I know he polished the KOTCS screenplay, but perhaps he'd be a good one to go to from the start to come up with a draft based on a round-table type meeting with Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford. :gun:

Perhaps. There were good elements in Koepp's screenplay, it seems like, many of which did not make it into the film, judging from the novel and other sources.

However, he's still responsible for such assorted elements as the incoherently presented characterization of Mac and...honestly, the more I think about it, the more I lay the blame for the film's flaws at Spielberg's feet. Whatever was cut from the film as scripted was his to decide to cut, and the prairie dogs and unkillable monkeys feel much more like Steven's work than anyone else's.

Of course, some of the dreadful Indy and Marion dialogue was allegedly scripted by Lawrence Kasdan, but then perhaps it read better than it was delivered, through smiling, gritted teeth. (Okay, I'll lay it at Karen Allen's feet too.)

I wonder if Ford would even want to be there. One's initial impulse is that he wouldn't, but perhaps there's some part of him that would like a hand in planning what he'd be asked to do and sell.

Mostly, though, I doubt whether Koepp would provide that counterweight that George and Steven would seem to need. I don't feel like his resume justifies putting him in that position.

If we were just looking for people who have worked with the beards before and also on Indiana Jones projects, I'd be more inclined to wish that Hal Barwood was still in the film business. He'd be great in a story session, if nothing else.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Perhaps. There were good elements in Koepp's screenplay, it seems like, many of which did not make it into the film, judging from the novel and other sources.

However, he's still responsible for such assorted elements as the incoherently presented characterization of Mac and...honestly, the more I think about it, the more I lay the blame for the film's flaws at Spielberg's feet. Whatever was cut from the film as scripted was his to decide to cut, and the prairie dogs and unkillable monkeys feel much more like Steven's work than anyone else's.

Of course, some of the dreadful Indy and Marion dialogue was allegedly scripted by Lawrence Kasdan, but then perhaps it read better than it was delivered, through smiling, gritted teeth. (Okay, I'll lay it at Karen Allen's feet too.)

I wonder if Ford would even want to be there. One's initial impulse is that he wouldn't, but perhaps there's some part of him that would like a hand in planning what he'd be asked to do and sell.

Mostly, though, I doubt whether Koepp would provide that counterweight that George and Steven would seem to need. I don't feel like his resume justifies putting him in that position.

If we were just looking for people who have worked with the beards before and also on Indiana Jones projects, I'd be more inclined to wish that Hal Barwood was still in the film business. He'd be great in a story session, if nothing else.

Good call Attila...

Udvarnoky

We have the unique advantage of being able to read Koepp's script online, and for my money all of the movie's fundamental problems are right there in the screenplay, even if there are some lines of dialog in there we woud have preferred to have seen made the leap to the screen. It's just a bad screenplay, possibly because Koepp's hands were too tied (his main job seems to have been to stitch together parts of previous drafts), possibly because he just wasn't the right writer.

The blame is still Spielberg's because he's the one who commissioned and signed off on the screenplay, but from a directorial standpoint I think his main failing was not finding a way to wring some kind of energy out of the bad material, which he has been able to do in the past. (See: Previous Spielberg films written by Koepp.) The prairie dogs and monkeys don't even register a blip on my radar by comparison.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Udvarnoky said:
We have the unique advantage of being able to read Koepp's script online...

You know, I always forget that we actually have that script at our disposal. I've simply gotten into the habit of assuming that the script we have is one of those, like the published Last Crusade script that is available, that follows what was on the screen to the letter. Obviously, that advantage is quite an advantage indeed.

Udvarnoky said:
...and for my money all of the movie's fundamental problems are right there in the screenplay, even if there are some lines of dialog in there we woud have preferred to have seen made the leap to the screen. It's just a bad screenplay, possibly because Koepp's hands were too tied (his main job seems to have been to stitch together parts of previous drafts), possibly because he just wasn't the right writer.

Certainly there's a lot to this. We've been chatting before about the failure to define what the crystal skull actually does, with Koepp instead just letting it do whatever he needs it too. Montana's talked about Indy's lack of free will in the plot, and there's a lot of that too, because it's not merely the skull that serves as a plot coupon at various points, but also Oxley's prior research and Mac's third act betrayals. There is no big moment on the level of threatening to blow up the ark, or cutting the bridge, or the stellar three trials/choosing the Grail/"Let it go" sequence in Last Crusade. Indy just doesn't have enough - or much of anything, really - to do once they go over that cliff and those waterfalls. For all the good bits that Koepp had in his script, nothing in it would fix that problem.

Still, I'd argue that, in general and for the most part, the scripting and the plot is rather good up until it goes off the cliff. While I have my problems with a lot of the Marion material, the campground sequence is excellent, and the jungle chase problems aren't macro problems.

Udvarnoky said:
The blame is still Spielberg's because he's the one who commissioned and signed off on the screenplay, but from a directorial standpoint I think his main failing was not finding a way to wring some kind of energy out of the bad material, which he has been able to do in the past. (See: Previous Spielberg films written by Koepp.) The prairie dogs and monkeys don't even register a blip on my radar by comparison.

I'd argue that the prairie dogs and monkeys are an element in his failed energy, however, as they exemplify the rather lackluster approach to tension in the film. Doom Town and the fridge was a killer sequence; so was the ants. There's some superb stuff in the film that can be attributed largely to Spielberg. And, yes, some of these nitpicky elements can be attributed to Koepp, who originally had Indy saying "What are you looking at?" to a prairie dog upon emerging from the fridge. On the other hand, Spielberg's prairie dog reaction shot to the rocket sled replaces Koepp's Army MP who's going to call the colonel. One one hand, Koepp wrote the monkeys in in the first place, but on the other, Spielberg is the one who tacked some added action onto Koepp's straightforward: "Spalko, enraged, grabs a monkey and hurls it off the cliff in frustration." Generally though, "prairie dogs and monkeys" is a stand-in for a number of other concepts, like crotch shots and rubber trees and other moments where the action might have been more compelling in some fashion, like the missing bloody switchblade moment in the graveyard.

Montana Smith

And, yes, some of these nitpicky elements can be attributed to Koepp, who originally had Indy saying "What are you looking at?" to a prairie dog upon emerging from the fridge. On the other hand, Spielberg's prairie dog reaction shot to the rocket sled replaces Koepp's Army MP who's going to call the colonel.

The Koepp quip could have worked really well with a typically grim Harrison expression. As long as the prairie dog appeared from its hole the moment Indy rolls out, and scurried away as soon as it saw the look in Indy's eye. As an injection of humour, I'd have preferred that to the prairie dog family watching events Disney-style.

One one hand, Koepp wrote the monkeys in in the first place, but on the other, Spielberg is the one who tacked some added action onto Koepp's straightforward: "Spalko, enraged, grabs a monkey and hurls it off the cliff in frustration."

Mutt swinging through the trees and the attack of the monkeys was such an homage to Tarzan that it really had no place in KOTCS. It wasn't a specific reference to '50s B movies, but a generic one to Tarzan since the 1930s (and possibly even the 1920s). Yet, monkeys attacking fits in with those 1950s pulp magazines, in which every form of animal life is a threat to humans. Mutt's monkey troop, however, was partisan against the enemy - therefore going straight back to the Tarzan homage.

It's that sort of misjudgement that betrays the rustiness of Lucas and Spielberg with regards to Indy.

Darth Vile

Certainly there's a lot to this. We've been chatting before about the failure to define what the crystal skull actually does, with Koepp instead just letting it do whatever he needs it too. Montana's talked about Indy's lack of free will in the plot, and there's a lot of that too, because it's not merely the skull that serves as a plot coupon at various points, but also Oxley's prior research and Mac's third act betrayals. There is no big moment on the level of threatening to blow up the ark, or cutting the bridge, or the stellar three trials/choosing the Grail/"Let it go" sequence in Last Crusade. Indy just doesn't have enough - or much of anything, really - to do once they go over that cliff and those waterfalls. For all the good bits that Koepp had in his script, nothing in it would fix that problem.

Still, I'd argue that, in general and for the most part, the scripting and the plot is rather good up until it goes off the cliff. While I have my problems with a lot of the Marion material, the campground sequence is excellent, and the jungle chase problems aren't macro problems.

I agree with you. The movie falls flat after the waterfall sequence and never really gets better than 'Ants!'. It's a shame because the last section (Akator) undermines much of the good stuff that's happened in the previous 1.5 hours... certainly in terms of Indy's relationship with his son and Mac's betrayal there is no emotional pay off. This is why it's difficult for me to be too critical of the movie because I think that, where they can, they get a lot of it right. Here I'd agree with Udvarnoky too - in that the script doesn't do the movie any favours in the last section - as the correct level of redemption between characters isn't built into it and Spielberg is forced to make up for it with some limp action e.g. the flooding water.