YIJ Better Than IJ?

IndyJr.

I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I personally think Young Indiana Jones is better than Raiders, Temple and Last Crusade.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Indiana Jones movies, but there are a certain few Young Indy episodes that can best IJ in my opinion. Then, of course, there are those certain episodes that definatly don't compare to IJ (Hollywood Follies for one).

Anyways, who else here feels the same about this?

Flannery10

Better really isn't the word for it. It's totally different in style and moral, so it's on a different level than the movies.

Then again, I don't understand the bad reputation of Hollywood Follies. Sure, there are a lot better episodes, but it's far from being bad, in my opinion.

metalinvader

Not me.THe movies will always come first for me.As much as I love the Young Indy series,It is like comparing apples and oranges.

Matinee Idyll

IndyJr. said:
Sounds a little bit contradictory, but I think I understand what you're saying. :hat:

Hardly contradictory - one is objective statement ("The films are better..."), the other is subjective ("...but I prefer the TV series").

Finn

Staff member
That's an opinion among others, but I still have to ask... you just trying to bait certain someone?

Matinee Idyll

Not at all (Clinton was the only person here I've ever come close to baiting)!

If we're talking about the technical elements that go into a work, and its success at what it sets out to achieve, the films are 'better'. They're perfect, but they're ultimately shallow ventures.

I'll take Young Indy, in all its ambitious, flawed brilliance.

Last edited:

tocksic

Maybe people should ask themselfs how popoluar YI would have been if the movies never had existed and the series was completly build up from scratch.
In this context I think it is obvious that without the strong franchise-background the series would have been very uncared. Shure there would be many people how like it, but it wouldn't be that "interesting".

Don't get me wrong: I like the series, but I think of it more like a "little brother" who always stands in the shadow of his older brother because he never achieved something of equal greatness. Like metalinvader said: "It is like comparing apples and oranges."

Adamwankenobi

tocksic said:
Maybe people should ask themselfs how popoluar YI would have been if the movies never had existed and the series was completly build up from scratch.
In this context I think it is obvious that without the strong franchise-background the series would have been very uncared. Shure there would be many people how like it, but it wouldn't be that "interesting".

I think it would be quite the opposite. The primary reason the series didn't get very good ratings was because of preconceptions based on the films. Given how positive the reactions were from critics, I'd say the series would have fared much better with the general public if the films hadn't come first.

tocksic said:
Like metalinvader said: "It is like comparing apples and oranges."

That's a good way to put it.

Professor Jones

Premised that an opinion is an opinion and, of course, I respect fully each opinion expressed on earth and the freedom to express it, I must strongly, energically, vehemently, constantly, inconditionally, incontrovertibly, insistently object!!!

The films ARE indoubtly BETTER than the Young Indy series!!!!! :whip:

IndyJr.

Well maybe I should have stated what I did a bit different... I perfer the Young Indy shows... but in SOME ways IJ is better... but in OTHER ways YIJ is better...

It's a matter of opinion I guess.

I also beleive the previous famousness of the original Indiana Jones films is a double edged sword in terms of the famousness of the Young Indiana Jones series. In one respect the Indiana Jones films lead to the temporary love for the Young Indiana Jones and if it weren't for the movies, the show would be just another crazy show on TV. But at the same time, because the films were so action packed, everyone expects non-stop, shoot em up violence in Young Indy (which is not always the case). So there are some that feel that Young Indy is inferior because of it's "lack" of violence. But to some (like myself) it wouldn't be that way.

I love Young Indy, as I do the movies. But I just prefer Young Indy and in it's own way is a little bit better.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Y'know, Indy Jr., I'm the kind of person who's often annoyed by people making stupid arguments for things that I agree with. You've happily presented me with the opposite - the kind of arguments I might make for something I don't agree with. You see both sides of an issue, you acknowledge that there are different ways in which people judge things, and then you arrive at a conclusion with some level of conviction.

Props to you, sir.

Alexandria

IndyJr. said:
Thank you kindly... I try my best to sound smart. ;)
Don't we all. LOL! :) I'm always hoping to sound smart in my views on things. I always have a feeling I'm the odd guy (or girl) out. Hmmm.
Oh, and my view it that Young Indy showed how Indiana turned into the man we see in "raiders" and beyond. Not all his changes are positive ones. This guy's made some bad decisions(take Mata Hari for example), and some good ones. I think he's a flawed human being, who'd I like to help heal from his wounds. I don't mean that in any sexual way, so get your minds out of the gutter. :p I like Young Indy because you see him grow, and that he is human. He isn't painted as someone who's always made out to be right. He could be whiny, selfish, and foolish, as well as caring, loving, devoted, and noble. So he's a conflicted character, trying to figure what's right, and sometimes messes up. Ok, he messes up a lot. I'm surprised I like him so much. LOL! ;)

phantom train

I unquestionably prefer the YIJC show to the IJ films, but that's just my opinion - I know most people are the opposite. If I had a choice of watching the films or the show, I'd definitely pick the show.

I do agree that comparing the the IJ films and the YIJC is difficult, because they are two completely different mediums.
The films are meant to be two-hour action/adventure movies, whereas the show is intentionally much more introspective.