Favourite film costumes

Finn

Staff member
Renderking Fisk said:
I think it?s either the brim length or crown height? there?s got to be a combanation that would look great on you.
Maybe, p'haps... but I'm still not interested in wearing a fedora. Only hat I like to wear is a woolly cap and that is more out of practical reasons than anything else... <small>but no man (or woman) can't look bad in a woolly cap if the style and model is correct. Trust me.</small>

And another reason why don't want to wear a fedora... some of us do want to stand out (you're probably one of them Ren who's doing it with style) but my main goal is actually to blend in. My garderobe consists almost in all of three colors, dark green, grey and black. I don't like any pics, visible insignias or logos on my clothing. But I know I still look good in my clothing of choice - and that is my main aim. Now I look good but I don't stand out... and if I notice someone looking at me, I know it's not because of what I wear but for some of my natural attributes - whatever they are. <small>That, or then my barn door's open.</small>

It's all a matter of taste, Ren. That's the core idea. Taste. And they usually do vary. At least in the so-called "free world".

Raffey said:
Anything Jessica Alba wears. :p
What if Jessie is not wearing a thing? :p

Finn

Staff member
Times change. Did you know that the everyday clothing people wore in the medieval times were actually way lot simpler in design and easier to put on/take off than any of those pieces we wear as our clothes nowadays... or people wore in the 40's.

Ever wonder why we don't dress like that anymore?

Finn

Staff member
Yeah, but still, times change. Perhaps not in better direction... but they still do.

Raffey

Finn said:
What if Jessie is not wearing a thing? :p

You mean like the costume she will wear in the new Fantastic Four movie as Invisible Girl? :p

Pale Horse, you are an Angels fan!?! Agh! There goes all my respect for you as a mod! LOL! :p

Canyon

Okkkaay. How on earth did this thread get so OT?!?

Canyon's favourite screen outfits in pictures:

17.jpg

r33.jpg
10102351.jpg

0002051v.jpg

lord-of-the-rings-ii-frodo-teaser-4900255.jpg

I

Indy's_main_man

The literally smoking jacket Robin Williams wore in Toys

The dress Madonna wore in Evita

Pale Horse

Staff member
I know this is a bit OT, but

Raffey said:
Pale Horse, you are an Angels fan!?! Agh! There goes all my respect for you as a mod! LOL! :p

I actually worked (via pyro-spectacular) for them in the 2002 year. Got to go to almost every home game straight through the end. Awesome experience. We did all the pyro work. Hard not to be a fan after that. If I can get a scanner working I'll post pics.

Finn

Staff member
Ren, you wonder why fedoras went out of use but can't see why.

But why did bellybottom pants go out of use? What happened to down vests?

It's natural that some pieces go out of use. There is no logical explanation to that. They just do.

<small>Q, an interesting pick for a new avatar. Had to have something no one else does?</small>

Luckylighter

OK, let's get this back on topic--God, I sound like a Mod.

I liked Sean Connery's costume in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Indiana Jones...d'uh.

That scene in Basic Instinct, when Sharon Stone is wearing...nothing. That's a good look for her.

The classic white dinner jacket from the opening scene in Goldfinger.

The classic white dinner jacket from the opening scene in Temple of Doom.

Kirsten Dunst's wet t-shirt in Spiderman.

I liked Aragorn's costume from Fellowship...his Ranger garb--that was pretty cool.

Wolverine's clothing in X-Men when he was still Logan.

Han Solo in Empire...NOT his Hoth gear, but his regular clothes with that cool looking jacket.

Darth Vader...the most iconic outfit in movie history since Rick said goodbye to Ilsa on a rain soaked runway in French Morocco.

Indy Benson

Wake up, gents:bell-bottoms are back in now (at least with the dames)
Same goes with down vests.

What's old is new again. With that, there may be hope for fedoras to come back.

Finn

Staff member
Damn, you couldn't have found a pic of him where he does look even more like David Hasselhoff?

Raffey

Pale Horse said:
I know this is a bit OT, but

I actually worked (via pyro-spectacular) for them in the 2002 year. Got to go to almost every home game straight through the end. Awesome experience. We did all the pyro work. Hard not to be a fan after that. If I can get a scanner working I'll post pics.

That sounds awesome! You must be The Man when it comes to July 4th!

Although, I'm not a fan of Marilyn's (her acting only- love her look), that dress is definitenly memorable!

So is Audrey! I have to agree great choices!

Joe Brody

I may have missed it but the ultimate outfit movie is 'North By Northwest'. That movie is about Cary Grant's suit. Also, I love Eva Marie Saint's outfits -- especially this little red and black number she wears 3/4 of the way through the film.

I also like just about everything worn by Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith in the original 'Parent Trap' -- especially the little 'I'm home all alone' outfit O'Hara is wearing at the end. I also like Hecky's cowboy threads.

Closing out leading couples, my favorite is the starched white shirts worn by Bacall and Bogart in 'Key Largo' -- highlighted in the scene where the two walk out on the dock to tie-in the boat. It's visual confirmation that the two are made for each other.

Individuals:
If you're going to talk 'Bladerunner' you've got to include the high-collared coat worn by Sean Young when she goes to Dechard's apartment.

Everything worn in 'Angel Heart'

I'm not into clothes but I dig some of the jackets worn by Hugh Grant in 'About a Boy'.

Closing observations,
Palehorse, I think Audrey Hepburn's overrated. Give me Monroe any day.

Lucky, I'll take Dunt's in a T-shirt in 'Crazy-Beautiful' over Spiderman any day.

maquino

"I like to play with things awhile before annihilation."

I think that the costumes in the film Flash Gordon were so wonderfully burlesque that they pretty much eclipsed everything else about the movie.

I think one of the greater costume pratfalls was Star Trek: The Motion Picture, in which it looked like everyone on the Enterprise was running around in jammies. (I noticed that there was a hurried redesign for the subsequent Trek movies.)

Not sure if TV shows are legit to mention here, but I think that Stargate: SG1 has done a nifty job with the Goa'uld's "space-age Egyptian" togs.

Michael Aquino

Last edited: