Harry Potter copies Indiana Jones

A

Aussie Jones

After reading the Harry Potter novels and seeing the 3 movies I've come to the conclusion that JK Rowling is a big fan of Indiana Jones.

The endings of The Philosophers Stone and The Chamber of Secrets is similar to the opening sequence of Raiders and the three challenges from Last Crusade.

I know that Indiana Jones was influenced by other movies but there is a difference - Indiana Jones was better than all of them and Harry Potter.

I didn't like Prisoner of Azkaban, what a waste of Gary Oldman's talent.

A

Aussie Jones

I wonder if Harry Potter will be talked about in 20 years time.

blur

Aussie Jones said:
I wonder if Harry Potter will be talked about in 20 years time.

I would say so... most things that are a phenomenon (and, like it or hate it, HP is a phenomenon) generally aren't forgotten easily - especially once they make it into film.

intergamer

Interesting. The Pickwick Papers (Serial by Charles Dickens) was a phenomenon - there were pickwick hats, umbrellas, everything. They kept producing reprints for 50 years of that series, and its still a famous classic today. Harry Potter might be a little different, but I wouldn't be if the average person knows about Harry Potter a century from now.

Especially since they were made into movies, many people know about the Chronichles of Narnia, for starters. I think that's the closest comparison. It's been about half a century since those were pusblished. And they were nowhere near the phenomenon that Harry Potter is.

A

Aussie Jones

Lord of the Rings is a 1000x better than Harry Potter.

intergamer

Aussie Jones said:
Lord of the Rings is a 1000x better than Harry Potter.

I don't think so.
This sounds like the kind of comment from someone who just dismissed Harry Potter for what it is. I've read a lot of books, including both LotR and Harry Potter, and the structure of the Harry Potter series is extremely deep in terms of the way JKR handles the character arc.

Finn

Staff member
And Harry Potter is, when it comes to technical part of the literal language, actually way ahead of LotR. It's using better, more simple to read language and the structure of the books is better than that of LotR.

Lord of the Rings possesses a plot superior to Potter, though (but HP's not bad either)... and that is why LotR is phenomenal.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I liked the way the movies have been handled when compaired with the books, and I would agree with the Indy comparison...there does seem to be a bit of our beloved adventure in Harry. Then again the Spirit of Adventure will always find a way to manifest itself.