Cross of Iron

A

Aussie Jones

Did anyone else like the 1977 film Cross of Iron?

I like the fast editing that is associated with Sam Pekenpah's movies (The Wild Bunch)

monkey

I liked the movie. But I liked the book better.

I read the book a few years before the movie came out. Needless to say, like any book/movie, the movie left out a LOT.

Cross of Iron was written by a man named Willi Heinrich. It is based on his experiences on the Eastern Front in World War II.

Peckinpah (not sure if that spelling is correct) did a good job, but the words of Willi Heinrich, more than that movie, really brings home the violence, brutality, and desperation that the German soldier faced on the eastern front.

It's worth the read.

swords

Peckinpah, Pekenpah, sometimes Peckingpah. But, your right, its Peckinpah.

I think from a cinema point of view, Cross of Iron struck more cords for different reasons, and unfortunately the Facist overtones turned most critics off. Im not too sure on the book, since I have not read it. I should also be clear that I havn't seen Cross of Iron, and it has nothing to do with disinterest, its simply a matter of possession.

Has anyone seen Straw Dogs? Its problably his most controversal, although most of his films have had a air of controversy...

Last edited:
A

Aussie Jones

I've seen Straw Dogs and the Wild Bunch. I prefer Cross of Iron though.