Big Game Hunter Costume

roundshort

Check out old Bananna Republic, before they were bought in the late 80's. The other great source is old Willis and Geiger clothes

Kill Cavalry

I have a tall pith helmet, the peaked khaki kind used from the Boer Wars to Pre-Great War era. I like the pith helmet look, but I think the slouch hat is what I'll use for the big game hunter. My pompous professor costume will use the peaked pith helmet.

Doc Savage

Kill Cavalry said:
I have a tall pith helmet, the peaked khaki kind used from the Boer Wars to Pre-Great War era. I like the pith helmet look, but I think the slouch hat is what I'll use for the big game hunter. My pompous professor costume will use the peaked pith helmet.
Sweet...:whip:

Magda

The pieces look good. Post a picture when you pull them together for the full ensemble. I just looked at the prices and winced. Then again, I'm the same person who wanted to buy a $200 Halloween costume. :rolleyes:

Kill Cavalry

I come from a living history background, I'm used to paying a lot of money for things. It'll be worth it if I use the costume often.

All I'm really having trouble finding is a belt and holster for the Mauser. Most holsters appear to have a strap for fitting over the shoulder, which I do not need.

Kill Cavalry

The second link you sent was the best one, the problem is it's for the Bolo model, a normal Mauser won't fit in it, and so there's no real non-firing repro that I can use. I don't want to shell out money for a real one that I don't intend to use.
Unless someone knows of a bolo repro that's non-firing.

Kill Cavalry

Akurbas do seem to be the highest quality.

Every holster seems to have the bandolier or harness to it, so I'll probably just have to go with it. Would a Martini Henry Bandolier over a Mauser Bandolier look too funny?

Indy Parise

I think the Sportsman Guide one holster has the removal bandolier. From the pic, it looks like it just has a stud to take it off. Also, I think the U.S. mauser holster looks rather nice.

Kill Cavalry

The U.S. Mauser is at the top of my list. The problem is (and maybe this is just me being a nerdy living historian type) the character is supposed to be former ANZAC, who stole the pistol from the Germans during the Great War. A giant US emblem would look funny. I suppose I could justify it by saying that the holster got all tore up by a leopard or some such and I had to find a replacement.

Kill Cavalry

One of the problems this costume presents is having something to carry everything around in. I don't want to go with the straps across the chest, I think the bandolier is enough. So I don't have a haversack, canteen, or anything else, which is impractical for an adventurer.
At the suggestion of a friend, I've added a Swiss rucksack to my list. What do you think?

roundshort

Kill Cavalry said:
One of the problems this costume presents is having something to carry everything around in. I don't want to go with the straps across the chest, I think the bandolier is enough. So I don't have a haversack, canteen, or anything else, which is impractical for an adventurer.
At the suggestion of a friend, I've added a Swiss rucksack to my list. What do you think?

Think about it, these big game hunters never were alone. they did not carry thier own gear. THey had a bunch of African's do it for them. It would look strange for a big game hunter in the 1800's to have all of htier own gear. What you need is about 20 africans to carry your junk around for you . . .
Just a thought

Indy's brother

Kill Cavalry said:

I followed the link and found that ruck, kinda made me giggle a little:
show_image.html

....look familiar? I know it's not the same as the german alpine ruck, but it's pretty close!

(hmm. don't know why that pic isn't showing up here):confused: