TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #51
SterankoII
IndyFan

I'm not worried about Frank Marshall's statement. KOTCS can be tonally like The Last Crusade and also be like Raiders like George said. What was wrong IMO with TLC wasn't really the lighter tone, which I liked. It was that most of the action paled next to the previous two movies. Yes, there were some great stuff like the tank chase. I also thought the motorcycle chase was fun. But for the most part nothing in TLC ever topped the armrest grabbing, white knuckle causing thrills of Raiders and Temple of Doom! You could tell that they were kind of running out of ideas and that's why they decided then that would be the last one. Hopefully Frank Darabont had come up with some new action setpieces when he wrote his script and that Spielberg and Co kept most of them.

If this new movie can be light in tone like the third and have the awesome, inventive action scenes like the first two movies, then it'll be great.

Last edited by SterankoII : 01-30-2008 at 12:08 PM.
SterankoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #52
jasperjones
IndyFan

I rate the tank chase as one of my favourite action sequences of all time. Indy's jump from the horse to the tank is classic!
jasperjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #53
Blue Jay
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheHutt
Oh, lord! You've got to love all these "Oooh, I'm getting a bad feeling - look at the expressions on Indy and Marion's faces. Marion looks like she's on a school run" type comments.

No-one here knows the context of this scene (and I reckon it is a scene, not a posed shot) so no-one can judge if their expressions (which it's hard to get the full nuance of anyway, given the image's low resolution) are 'right' or not.

A lot of people seem to be assuming this is from the middle of an action scene, and everyone should be grimacing and gurning. But the presence of the RPG doesn't necessarily mean that. Maybe this is a 'planning' scene, with everyone deciding what to do next. Maybe the truck's at a standstill hence Marion's relaxed control of the wheel.

We don't know one way or another, so let's not wet our knickers just yet, eh?

I dont think they are planning something because otherwise it would be very risky for indy to keep his finger on the trigger of the rpg inside the truck. Hence i assume that this is from an action scene.
Furthermore i think the surprised look of Mutt indicates a reaction to indy jumping from behind the truck and saying: Look what i just found. So everybody stares at him wondering what he is now up to.
I dont know but the background seems to me as if it is moving.

I am just happy
Blue Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #54
trippweeder
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperjones
I rate the tank chase as one of my favourite action sequences of all time. Indy's jump from the horse to the tank is classic!

Yeah, I've always loved that sequence too.
trippweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #55
Kingsley
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKing
When asked where this movie sits tonally with the rest of the series, Marshall said: "I would say it's closest to the third one (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)"...

It means interesting characters development, and great chemistry in the set (so, in the movie too).
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #56
replican't

This film just looks more dodgy with each new pic they release.

Could this one be any more camp?
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #57
Avilos
IndyFan

Why do people put so much stock in Frank Marshall's OWN ASSESSMENT? That is not to discredit him but a films feel and tone is subjective!!!!!!!! I can not stress that enough. There will probably be a lot of different options on its tone when we actually get to see the film. Yet some people treat a his opinion as a statement of fact and are worried about the movie....
Unbelievable. Lucas was right.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #58
Kaczor
IndyFan

Sorry for offtopic, but there is the best use of bazooka:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pLqTOdiFh0

Kaczor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #59
sandiegojones
IndyFan

None of these movies were bad, I don't understand the fear that this will suck or all of the nay sayers here saying this is campy! Of course it is that's the fun! It's just that these films have had way better production values and quality acting which sets them apart.

There is a reason we're all here, right? Indy has been successful because of the quality and fun. Give the filmmakers the benefit of the doubt, they've earned it!
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #60
WhipItGood
IndyFan

Well, I'll take the screenwriter's and director's impression of the "tone" of the film over the producer's anyday. Two are creating the film, one is producing it.

Besides, I think there's room for all three films to contribute tones to the new film. My interpretation of what Marshall was alluding to was that this film might include a similar sense of "family" which was depicted in LC... if such rumors are true, that is.

Also, I'm still baffled by so many fans have problems with dealing with 'staged' publicity photos from the set/location. There's nothing new in this practice at all, and for people to expect such obvious promo photos to represent exactly the look and action of a filmed scene just doesn't stand up to the history of theatrical feature publicity.

Imagine a publicity unit posing and snapping a shot of Harrison in the middle of the RAIDERS truck chase location between takes: it's not a film frame image, it's lit differently, the truck's not moving... would that have made the resulting chase scene we've all enjoyed suddenly 'suck' or 'campy'? Not at all.

Be glad we're getting new images and info, it's better than nothing.
WhipItGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #61
Mike Dowswell
IndyFan

Ok, so here we go again. The production stills (well SOME of them) are awfully bright and the light is evenly spread over the whole thing with not much shadow. They’re also digital, which means they are terribly terribly sharp...and this of course is subjective in wiether you like that look or not...Mr Spielberg himself doesn’t like that look. And I am also not so keen, so I’ve done another manipulation here, added film grain and made it a bit more contrasty.

It may be a bit too contrasy and too cold, might have a fiddle about with it further.
Mike Dowswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #62
NileQT87
IndyFan

that's probably a daylight scene like the truck chase and the tank chase. both were under the bright sun.

i'd argue this scene will be a bright one, whereas the indoor temple scenes will be darker.
NileQT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #63
Deckard
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippweeder
If you click on the interactive magazine slot and go about four or five pages in, you'll see Natalie Portman in all her Superfox glory. I wish she had been Indy's daughter.

Am I the only person who doesnt find Natalie Portman remotely attractive? She just doesn't do it for me.

Very cool pic, I can't imagine the context of taht scene but it looks funny in a good way.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #64
Mike Dowswell
IndyFan

Well the thing is that...(and its all still a bit out of context) but when your driving in the forest / jungle, its quite dark, the window behind marion is showing that it's quite built up with jungle.

I've put in more green on this one below, previous one was a tad too blue.

---
Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #65
spiralout
IndyFan

Indiana Jones movies have many warm colors, not cold colors. That look is wrong. This isn't Minority Report.
spiralout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #66
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Must. Have. In. HQ. Now.

Oh and there's not enough dust on Indy's jacket. I feel cheated.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #67
trippweeder
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard
Am I the only person who doesnt find Natalie Portman remotely attractive? She just doesn't do it for me.

Very cool pic, I can't imagine the context of taht scene but it looks funny in a good way.

She gets those contrasting views from men. Some like her, some don't, but I've always found her attractive - even as a baldie.
trippweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #68
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard

Yes, yes you are the only one!
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #69
Mike Dowswell
IndyFan

One more...lol

I want to state that this is just a little bit of fun...if anybody else is enjoying it then thats great. I know that Speilberg wont be digitally grading this film, and I know that this isn't Minority Report. I do NOT want this film to look like Minority Report or Lord of the Rings...because that would be very unfaithful to the previous three, but what I will state is that some of these production stills are awfullly sharp and awfully blasted with light, almost like the photographer has used a flash.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #70
effin
IndyFan

that bazooka strap shouldn't be green!!! what a dissapointment.
effin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #71
IrishLuck1980
IndyFan

Looks great. God I'm more anxious to see the trailer then I am the movie. Almost...
IrishLuck1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #72
Deckard
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by effin
that bazooka strap shouldn't be green!!! what a dissapointment.

Uhh why? Its O.D. Olive Drab your standard Military in the Jungle color. And its not a Bazooka its an RPG...
Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #73
jasperjones
IndyFan

lol effin. And not even royal green at that! What were these idiots thinking?!?!?!
jasperjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #74
Deckard
IndyFan

This is what a Bazooka looks like:

Note the Rocket itself is not exposed, it would be housed in the actual tube. It is loaded into the rear as opposed to affixed to the front.

The Russians would not be using WWII American tech.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #75
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Why isn't Indy driving the truck? Hmmm....this doesn't bode well for the movie. This film will be a disaster. And Indy's fedora is too brown.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote