TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
fedoraboy
IndyFan

The worst Indy score?

I've listened to it several times now and nothing is jumping out at me. I'd have thought Williams would have put more into it after such a long absense as he did with the fantastic sw prequel scores, but there seems to be quite a lot of recycling of old themes here and no real standout new tracks...still a great soundtrack album and I'm hoping it will grow on me but, like the film, I think its the weakest of the bunch.
fedoraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
blueoakleyz
IndyFan

agreed he phoned this one in
blueoakleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
IndySeven
IndyFan

It's not that bad. It's an ok soundtrack for a new Indy film.
IndySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Out of the 3? Yeah by far its the worst the only things that stood out to me were when they mixed in bits like Marions theme or the Ark theme thats about it.
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
MartyB
IndyFan

Williams' score

A standout John Williams tune. I loved The Map Room in Raiders. The Temple Music in TOD, and the Grail theme in LC. Nothing really stuck in my head about KOTCS. In fact i can't even remember the McGuffen tune in the film?
MartyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
crowmagnumman
IndyFan

It's better than most scores today, but it's pretty inferior to the other three I think.
crowmagnumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
eroc
IndyFan

It's better than The Last Crusade score. Almost as good as The Temple of Doom.

Did anyone pick up on the recurring Peter and the Wolf theme? Or how about the quick Imperial March?
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Travis85
IndyFan

I liked the grail theme in last crusade the best of all of them except for the raiders march .
Travis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc
It's better than The Last Crusade score. Almost as good as The Temple of Doom.

Did anyone pick up on the recurring Peter and the Wolf theme? Or how about the quick Imperial March?

No it isn't. Crusade had brilliantly composed themes for The Grail and the German Scherzo. This score has NO memorable themes. It regurgitates War of the Worlds Intersection scene and Harry Potter for Mutt. Williams really phoned it in and it's a huge disappointment.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
FishbowlHead23

I'd certainly say it's the weakest of the scores. It's the weakest of the films in my eye too. By far on both accounts. The score was very bland. I legitimately remember hardly any of it from the film. Nothing was even so much as vaguely memorable to me. Johnny Williams bombed this time around. Hey, you can't win um all.
FishbowlHead23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
eroc
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
No it isn't. Crusade had brilliantly composed themes for The Grail and the German Scherzo. This score has NO memorable themes. It regurgitates War of the Worlds Intersection scene and Harry Potter for Mutt. Williams really phoned it in and it's a huge disappointment.

I have to disagree wholeheartedly.

If you don't think that using Sergei Prokofiev's music from Peter and the Wolf for the Russians is brilliant or memorable than I don't know what to say to you.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
SwingingMonkey
IndyFan

better than Last Crusade? Last Crusade is in my top five favourites of all time. It also happens to be one of Spielberg's favourites.

Like Revenge Of The Sith, Johnny decided to lift too much from the original film. Maybe he's slowing down now...I don't know, I was expecting more. I spend more time listening to the soundtracks than I do watching the movies.
SwingingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
Agent Spalko

Quote:
I have to disagree wholeheartedly.

If you don't think that using Sergei Prokofiev's music from Peter and the Wolf for the Russians is brilliant or memorable than I don't know what to say to you.

What it needed was a strong Russian theme inspired from Igor Stravinski, Shostakovich or Mussorgsky.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
eroc
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
What it needed was a strong Russian theme inspired from Igor Stravinski, Shostakovich or Mussorgsky.

You don't think Sergei Prokofiev inspires a strong Russian theme?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
FishbowlHead23

Quote:
You don't think Sergei Prokofiev inspires a strong Russian theme?

It's not that I personally don't, it's that I don't think the Russian theme was all that prevalent in the film to begin with.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyB
A standout John Williams tune. I loved The Map Room in Raiders. The Temple Music in TOD, and the Grail theme in LC. Nothing really stuck in my head about KOTCS. In fact i can't even remember the McGuffen tune in the film?
Alrighty, here are my observations, Marty:

Having seen it three times in the theater I thought: Oh well, John T. Williams is borrowing a lot of old musical material this time around. It's not as hummable, etc...

But tell you what: I think, the final mix is a bit unfair to the music.

Today I listened to the soundtrack CD twice with headphones, and there's plenty of material and there are extremely fine little details (not to mention the biig twist with the raiders march at the very end of the credits).

It's only more subtle, dare I say 'matured' and granted a bit more short-motifed in style, like Bernard Herrmann - but that's the direction John T. Williams' music has taken in general anyhow.

It's different, it's the same (more in the film - and with quite funny results actually!, less on the album) - I like it.

I'm going to cite the Crystal Skull theme and improvise on it in a duet w/ Theremin and trumpet the day after tomorrow during our next gig. That'll be a blast I can tell you! Maybe I'll mention 'a small movie having opened a couple of days ago'...

Martin
martinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #17
Erik Pflueger
IndyFan

Hell, even the theme assigned to Spalko - one of only two discernible new themes (the other was for the Skulls) - didn't sound all that Russian to me.

In any case, this is something Agent Spalko and I can absolutely agree on, for a change. Whatever the faults of the film - and I see FAR less of them than Spalko does - the fact is that this is NOT Williams' best. And Spalko is right: the chase scene in Crusade, with the scherzo for motorcycle and orchestra, was memorable, clever, and thought out from beginning to end. More to the point, you could hum it. It was the equivalent, more or less, of the chase music Williams did for the truck chase in Raiders, the asteroid chase and final pursuit in Empire, and so on. It made what I consider to be a lesser chase scene greater.

By contrast, I feel that the music for the college campus chase scene - in my view, a fine chase - was hindered by the fact that the music just wasn't that... well, HUMMABLE! It just goes all over the place, except for the Indy theme quotes. And I think I can be honest when I say at the very lack of a hummable line, which I see less and less of in Williams' work, is what I lament. They'd have been better off keeping Shake, Rattle and Roll playing.

Will I feel differently after a while? Maybe. Certain themes from the prequels felt more memorable once I DID memorize them like I had the original ones. Still, right now, I really can't hail this as a classic or as a stand-out part of his decades-long body of work.
Erik Pflueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #18
Grizzlor
IndyFan

I loved the 50's music in the beginning. The songs they picked were the best. The music from then on was terrible, and often didn't agree with the scene. It detracted from the film.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
Peacock's-Eye
IndyFan

I liked the rock n roll, the Mexican & Russian 'folk' music, Spalko's 'James Bondish' theme & the Crystal Skulls motif.

But yeah, I agree - this was a weak score in general & the weakest of the Indy scores.

2 out of 5 Indys for this one!
Peacock's-Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #20
bad_dates
IndyFan

I personally liked the crystal skull theme.
It's probably in my top five indy fav's

1. Raiders March (duh)
2. Map Room
3. Marion's Theme
4. Crystal Skull
5. Holy Grail

Three/Five
bad_dates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #21
James
IndyFan

I think the familiar themes just kind've overwhelmed everything else. You pretty much have to have Marion's theme, but the ones for the Ark and Grail should've been limited to the cameos of the Ark and Henry Sr.'s photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinland
improvise on it in a duet w/ Theremin

Ha...hadn't thought about the possibility of a Theremin having been used, but that would've cool if they'd snuck one in somewhere.

I also liked that variation on the Raiders theme. I thought I heard it earlier in the film as well...
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #22
MarxBrosFan
IndyFan

Williams hasn't written a memorable score in a while now. His best work is behind him.
MarxBrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #23
Crusade>Raiders
IndyFan

I liked it better than Temple of Doom's score, which doesn't have anything that jumps out at me. This one had Mutt's theme, the Crystal Skull, the Jungle Chase, and I LOVE the Finale music.
Crusade>Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 PM   #24
Grizzlor
IndyFan

I felt like the editing of the film was not done well. Perhaps that was the best that could be done, but scenes were just way too cobbled together and abrupt or too long, and the score suffered as a result. You can't blame it all on Williams, he only creates the music, he doesn't put it into the film.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #25
FishbowlHead23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusade>Raiders
I liked it better than Temple of Doom's score, which doesn't have anything that jumps out at me. This one had Mutt's theme, the Crystal Skull, the Jungle Chase, and I LOVE the Finale music.

Good god...really? Slave Children's Crusade doesn't jump out at you but the Crystal Skull theme does? Blasphemy!